PDA

View Full Version : More issues with a 6 month old MC trailer

michael freeman
10-22-2006, 04:14 PM
On my brand new 2006 MC (less then 6 months old) I have had brake issues twice. The first being they didn’t work after they dumped all the brake fluid into my drive way. The second this afternoon when my trailer will not let me back up! I get maybe a foot or two before the surge brakes engage and lock down the wheels! :mad: :mad: :mad:

To top it off, I drove it into my back yard and almost pinned my truck where I couldn't get it out. Luckily I was able to release the trailer and still have enough room to get my truck out. Now I have a boat stuck in my back yard.

I read about people having problems with older trailers but this is a brand new trailer that has already been serviced multiple times for brakes lights, etc. I bought a MC so I wouldn’t have these issues and wouldn’t spend my weekends stuck at home fixing a piece of junk. I’m also pissed I had to tell my friends not to show up because my POS MC trailer is broken down again.

NEED HELP: What is the best way to disconnect the brakes? What do I need to check to make sure the brakes are not dragging, etc., so I can take it into the dealer?

bigmac
10-22-2006, 04:33 PM
On my brand new 2006 MC (less then 6 months old) I have had brake issues twice. The first being they didn’t work after they dumped all the brake fluid into my drive way. The second this afternoon when my trailer will not let me back up! I get maybe a foot or two before the surge brakes engage and lock down the wheels! :mad: :mad: :mad:

To top it off, I drove it into my back yard and almost pinned my truck where I couldn't get it out. Luckily I was able to release the trailer and still have enough room to get my truck out. Now I have a boat stuck in my back yard.

I read about people having problems with older trailers but this is a brand new trailer that has already been serviced multiple times for brakes lights, etc. I bought a MC so I wouldn’t have these issues and wouldn’t spend my weekends stuck at home fixing a piece of junk. I’m also pissed I had to tell my friends not to show up because my POS MC trailer is broken down again.

NEED HELP: What is the best way to disconnect the brakes? What do I need to check to make sure the brakes are not dragging, etc., so I can take it into the dealer?If they only lock in reverse, I'd be thinking about whether there's a problem with the electrical device (presumably some kind of solenoid) that disengages the brakes when the tow vehicle goes into reverse, or I'd be looking at the 5-wire trailer connector adapter (7 round to 5 flat), or I'd be looking at the vehicle's backup lights to see if maybe a fuse is blown. Check the latter two first - make sure the connector is clean and the pins are straight, then see if the vehicle's backup lights work. If both of those = true, you could maybe jack the trailer up and see if all the wheels are free. If one or more calipers are stuck, all I can think of is drain all the brake fluid, and pry the stuck calipers apart so you can get it to the dealer. Or, maybe the dealer would love to drive out to your house and take care of that stuff for you.

I can only assume that MasterCraft is of the opinion that all of the trailer problems that keep coming up here are isolated issues.

Chief
10-22-2006, 04:41 PM
Sounds like the solenoid to prevent fluid pressure is not getting the 12Vdc it gets when the truck is in reverse. Check you output at your five wire connector too see if you are getting the 12v at the connector then check at the solenoid for the 12v.

Did the rip cord for the brakes get pulled (the small wire rope that the last resort for stopping)?

I looked at my trailer and there is a hole drilled on each side that if you pull the tongue all the way out you could put a long pin or screwdriver to prevent the tongue from moving back and forth to stop brake actuation. This should at least get you to the dealer.

Hope this helps

JohnnyB
10-22-2006, 05:31 PM
The more I have to mess with these hydraulic surge brakes, the more I think about the conversion to electric brake actuation.

michael freeman
10-23-2006, 10:17 AM
I didn't think to check to see if the trailer reverse lights were working. I will see if there is a bad connection tonight that may be causing the problem. The electrical plug on the trailer is already falling apart (plug plate is pulling out of the case).

michael freeman
10-23-2006, 10:20 AM
The more I have to mess with these hydraulic surge brakes, the more I think about the conversion to electric brake actuation.

Electric brakes are starting to look good to me as well. I have a very low tolerance for equipment that breaks down all the time. (As seen in my initial comment. ;)

bigmac
10-23-2006, 10:33 AM
Electric brakes are starting to look good to me as well. I have a very low tolerance for equipment that breaks down all the time. (As seen in my initial comment. ;)I much prefer electric brakes, especially with a good controller, but the conversion on a tandem-axle trailer has to run close to $1000 for parts alone. I trailer my boat about 25 miles per year - if I were having some of these braking problems, my solution would be to just disable the whole braking system on the trailer. Not recommending, just sayin'....

michael freeman
10-24-2006, 10:16 AM
I much prefer electric brakes, especially with a good controller, but the conversion on a tandem-axle trailer has to run close to $1000 for parts alone. I trailer my boat about 25 miles per year - if I were having some of these braking problems, my solution would be to just disable the whole braking system on the trailer. Not recommending, just sayin'....

Funny thing is that my brakes were not working on the boat when I first picked it up from the dealer brand new. I've pulled cattle trailers and flat beds loaded out that didn't have trailer brakes, and it really didn't feel any different, so I didn't even notice. Took it back after all the brake fluid poured out in my drive way and felt the brakes for the first time after it was fixed. It was amazing, how easy it was to stop. Almost like the trailer was pulling me to a stop.

I could live without the brakes, but it is a lot easier to drive in heavy traffic with them. I mainly want something that works and doesn't breakdown all the time.

I haven't had a chance to hook the trailer up again to see if there is an electrical short, but I hope that is the case. I probably will not find out until this weekend due to work.

Wish me luck.

djhuff
10-24-2006, 11:49 AM
There was a fuse in my old truck for the trailer reverse lights that had blown and caused this problem.

bigmac
10-24-2006, 02:22 PM
It was amazing, how easy it was to stop. Almost like the trailer was pulling me to a stop.

Yes, surge brakes are fine in theory - it's the practical application where things start falling apart. Apparently there is a fine line between working well, not working at all, and actually being dangerous.

I initially noticed that my brakes worked great with the boat on there, hopped/jerked/bucked on stopping when empty, and now have gone to hopping with the boat on there. As I said, MasterCraft doesn not apparently feel there's a problem, so they're not addressing it as a company - leaving it at the dealer level. Unfortunately, their trailers only have a one year warranty, so I'm pretty sure I'm on my own if I decide to even leave the stupid surge brake system functional.

jimmer2880
10-26-2006, 03:18 PM
I much prefer electric brakes, especially with a good controller, but the conversion on a tandem-axle trailer has to run close to $1000 for parts alone. I trailer my boat about 25 miles per year - if I were having some of these braking problems, my solution would be to just disable the whole braking system on the trailer. Not recommending, just sayin'....

I'm with you on the electrical brakes. I much prefer having electric over surge.

One of the big things I don't like about surge, is that the more the tow vehicle slows (or doesn't), the more trailer brakes are applied (or not). So - if my tow vehicle looses it's brakes, or has it's brakes fade, I'm SOL, were with Electric, there isn't a problem.