PDA

View Full Version : 20 bags of leaves and counting

kpgotgame
10-22-2006, 11:13 AM
Anyone else dealing with excessive leaves in their yard. The kids love jumping in the piles that I rake up - it is really helpful too.
Got a flyer in the mail $25 for 5 bags after 5 bags price drops to $4 a bag. They bag'em and take em away.
But what would my boys do for fun??

JimN
10-22-2006, 12:15 PM
I usually plan to wait until they've all fallen before I do anything with them. Unfortunately, my plan and reality don't necessarily coincide. Usually about a week after the first snowfall/rain/cold snap which freezes everything into an icy mess, the rest of the leaves fall from the trees.

I have a mulching mower and I want to get a bagger, so I can cut the grass one more time and collect the leaves then. I have a composter and I just load it up in layers to get it working. In spring, I'll have a big container of fresh dirt.

Leroy
10-22-2006, 12:37 PM
We used to have a backyard like that, and like you our kids loved it! The billy goat works great at picking up/mulching.

Now I don't have a single bag of leaves! :)

Mag_Red
10-22-2006, 12:49 PM
I just run over them with the 61" zero turn Scagg mower. Kind of over kill, as my back yard is maybe 100' x 100':purplaugh but I have two 60" tall trees that seem to fall only in my yard.:rolleyes: The mower is actually for the 5 acres I have in Northern Ky, but I keep it in my back yard.

TMCNo1
10-22-2006, 01:29 PM
John Deere LT155 w/16hp + Freedom 42" mulching deck = NO LEAVES!

sanjuan23
10-22-2006, 02:17 PM
While I live in an old pecan grove you can imagine the mess it makes. If memory serves I bagged over 100 bags last fall. Just glad they havent started falling yet. Rake it in to the yard and start mowing away!

jimmer2880
10-22-2006, 03:25 PM
I have an old 20 hp John Deere 318 with a PTO powered bagger. This thing has a 13 bushel, hydraulic dumping bagger. It is freakin aweswome! In the summer time, I get about 1/3 of an acre per dump (right into next year's garden). Come leaf peepin season - it is worth it's weight in gold.

All this talk, yet, somehow - I don't have a pic.

chasmo
10-22-2006, 03:29 PM
http://cyclonerake.com

Just sold mine on ebay for a coll 1.5K...LOVE being in a townhome now!

88 PS190
10-22-2006, 04:12 PM
we live in the suburbs of chicago, everyone rakes leaves into the street, they come by and use a brush plow, push it all to the corner, then use a front loader and put it in a truck..

Free service by the township. - guess that means tax money eh.

wakebrdr142
10-22-2006, 05:06 PM
That's a pretty cool idea. Some of my pecker head neighbors just burn them. I usually bag them up then take the bags over to my wifes brothers vacant land and dump them (with his approval of course).

ski_king
10-22-2006, 05:53 PM
My house is surrounded by large oaks and maples on all 4 sides.
I always mulch and compost the leaves in the yard, but I don't know why. First big storm of the winter fills the yard back up with ones blown out of the woods.

It was fun for the kids to play in though.

whitedog
10-22-2006, 06:01 PM
Get to deal with 9 mature black walnut trees. Picked up 29 wheel barrel loads of nuts this year. Then we start with the mulcher for the elms and maples.

suedv
10-22-2006, 10:13 PM
Of the deciduous trees in our yard we have 8 very mature red oak trees (one with a triple trunk), a norway maple, a tulip poplar, a pear tree, a dogwood and a service berry tree. Then you add in our rental houses and you get even more trees. I have a lot of yard work to do in the fall.

I mulch as many into the lawn as possible and then sometime in November I pick the rest up with a vacuum mulcher. I spread a lot of these over my perennial garden beds. In late March or very early April I rake them off. I have a lot of perennial flower beds so I use lots of leaf mulch. We live in the city. When I run out of space for extra leaves we take them to the city compost site.

I haven’t started raking yet, just running the mulching mower over them so far. I’m a master gardener so yard work is pleasure work for me. :)