PDA

View Full Version : The Official "My Boat is Winterized" thread.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
10-21-2006, 01:15 PM
OK, Yoos guys need to keep sound off here if your boat is winterized. We cant be tearing up other threads!!! ;)

I WINTERIZED MY BOTE!!!! ITs all set to put in storage:(

6ballsisall
10-21-2006, 02:25 PM
I don't worry about that stuff..........I just sell mine before I have to do that. :D

That being said, I am going to help my neighbor winterize his Bayliner I/O today..........:rolleyes:

BrianM
10-21-2006, 03:13 PM
Sorry guys skied today. Air 78 water 68. Perfect shorty weather. :D

André
10-21-2006, 03:58 PM
Done last week end.Just finished taking out the docks...

milkmania
10-21-2006, 05:03 PM
winterized

got other things going on, and I don't wanna goof around and get caught in a cold spell

hleepert
10-21-2006, 05:14 PM
pulled out and winterized but need to pull the lift and dock. I need to move somewhere you don't have to deal with pulling out in the winter!

Orange X-7
10-21-2006, 05:16 PM
Mine's done.

milkmania
10-21-2006, 05:34 PM
I need to move somewhere you don't have to deal with pulling out in the winter!

then that'll increase our population mid-october:o

dapicatti
10-21-2006, 05:45 PM
Not yet.....still trying to get out one last weekend.

Mag_Red
10-21-2006, 06:41 PM
Not yet........getting ready for the December Mag Mania:D Actaully it's scheduled for next week-end with the help of JR

Leroy
10-21-2006, 06:43 PM
Winterized mine last week. Did the traditional turn on the radio, work out there every night for ~4 nights!

wakesport
10-21-2006, 06:57 PM
Not yet. We went last weekend. Wanted to go today but we were working this am. Now it's raining and supposed to snow. But I'm not done until there is ice on the lake.

vogelm1
10-21-2006, 07:14 PM
Did ours mid-September, the week of my ACL reconstruction! :(

trickskier
10-21-2006, 07:50 PM
Winterize? In FLORIDA? Sorry guys but I pulled jcrosby150 today behind his new MariStar200 SWEET RIDE!!!! I wanted to go too but doc say's at leasr 2 mo' weeks before he releases me after sinus surgery. SAT!!!!

Footin
10-21-2006, 08:12 PM
Did mine today. Washed it, 5 fresh quarts of Mobil 1, some stabil, drained the block, patted it on the butt and said good night.

trickskier
10-21-2006, 08:18 PM
Did mine today. Washed it, 5 fresh quarts of Mobil 1, some stabil, drained the block, patted it on the butt and said good night.

Sorry to hear that. We'll be watching the "Blue Angels" preform next week sitting on our M/C's in the St. Johns. Enjoy the football season by the fire! :uglyhamme

starman205
10-21-2006, 09:39 PM
Mine is winterized, going into storage next Saturday. :(

tex
10-21-2006, 10:13 PM
I don't winterize. My skiing was winterized on May 13th!

Jesus_Freak
10-21-2006, 11:51 PM
Mine is done and put in storage.

Hey Leroy...what took you ~4 hours?

Hoosier Bob
10-21-2006, 11:55 PM
Now that is funny Tex! My brother, when the leg returns I am coming to Texas! If you don't want me I am Coming to Texas! If my proby says I am in violation of my legal issues I am still COMING TO TEXAS!8p I don't winterize. My skiing was winterized on May 13th!

kpgotgame
10-22-2006, 07:44 AM
Not yet

I keep watching the weather forecast with optimism - I just know we can get out there one more time.

However I will give up and have it done before Halloween.

kpgotgame
10-22-2006, 07:49 AM
Sorry guys skied today. Air 78 water 68. Perfect shorty weather. :D

We would board naked in that kind of weather Brian - very nvus of your weather. Shorty weather for us - air temp 63 water temp "nice once your in" 60ish.

Kris

JohnnyB
10-22-2006, 09:34 AM
Not yet.

Went out footin' on Friday afternoon. Air temp 42deg, water temp somewhere around the same. Business trip next weekend....hoping for one more time, weather permitting, the weekend after and then time to mothball the 197 for the winter :(

peason
10-22-2006, 09:57 AM
Did mine yesterday and covered it up for the long cold one.

Leroy
10-22-2006, 11:19 AM
It took 4 hours each of 3-4 nights. I estimate winterization at around 16 hours of work! :D

It's like a retreat for me. I do a lot of stuff and look around for unusual things. Example, I found a nut and washer that I am not positive where it came from yet, but they look like they are on something pretty strong. Motor mounts looked ok.

Mine is done and put in storage.

Hey Leroy...what took you ~4 hours?

bigmac
10-22-2006, 11:37 AM
My boat's still at the dealer. I pulled it from the lake when the heater exploded. I replaced the heater core with the upgraded warranty replacement that HeaterCraft sent me, but then took it to the dealer for shaft alignment. My original plan was to just have them align the shaft, but a significant cold snap while I was waiting to get it back, complete with ice on the lake, led me to just go ahead and have them also winterize it, install the new billboard "MasterCraft" drip molded decals (replacing the "MariStar" graphic), replace the cracked rub-rail section, and detail the hull and interior since it was in their nice warm showroom. It will be spendy, but it got too cold too quick for me to be able to do it in the time I have available. In the meantime, I was able to leisurely renovate my fiberglass swim platform. All I have to do now is pick it up, put it in the storage building, hook it up to the battery float charger, plug in the interior heater, scatter the D-Con boxes around the storage building and Bounce sheets in the interior. The boat will come back to me with the engine full of -100 propylene glycol so that all I need to do in the spring is launch it and drive away. Theoretically.

NeilM
10-22-2006, 12:05 PM
Done a month ago:( . It's dropping below freezing every night right now..

jimmer2880
10-22-2006, 02:21 PM
Did mine last weekend. Well - most of it. All the "keep it from freezing" parts are done. Waiting on my detached garage to get complete, so I can move the tools into that, thereby freeing up the attached (a.k.a. heated) garage before I do the fall cleanup, etc.

Datdude
10-22-2006, 08:55 PM
My boat is winterized and tucked away in the garage for a 6 month nap. Sleep tight little guy.......Spring will be here shortly:uglyhamme

With that being said................................BRING ON THE SNOW................It is SNOWMOBILE season:cool:

trickskier
10-22-2006, 09:01 PM
My boat's still at the dealer. I pulled it from the lake when the heater exploded. I replaced the heater core with the upgraded warranty replacement that HeaterCraft sent me, but then took it to the dealer for shaft alignment. My original plan was to just have them align the shaft, but a significant cold snap while I was waiting to get it back, complete with ice on the lake, led me to just go ahead and have them also winterize it, install the new billboard "MasterCraft" drip molded decals (replacing the "MariStar" graphic), replace the cracked rub-rail section, and detail the hull and interior since it was in their nice warm showroom. It will be spendy, but it got too cold too quick for me to be able to do it in the time I have available. In the meantime, I was able to leisurely renovate my fiberglass swim platform. All I have to do now is pick it up, put it in the storage building, hook it up to the battery float charger, plug in the interior heater, scatter the D-Con boxes around the storage building and Bounce sheets in the interior. The boat will come back to me with the engine full of -100 propylene glycol so that all I need to do in the spring is launch it and drive away. Theoretically.

I am totally depressed after reading your post Bigmac! It was 92 and sunny here today. If you happen to get to FL in the near future call me and I'll be glad to give you a pull. I have yet to winterize a boat.....Use it year round.

phecksel
10-22-2006, 09:03 PM
Last weekend :( Really disappointed in how dirty it got this year and how bad it looks in it's winter storage. Engine is tucked away nice and clean filled with -100 deg antifreeze

bigmac
10-22-2006, 09:07 PM
Last weekend :( Really disappointed in how dirty it got this year and how bad it looks in it's winter storage. Engine is tucked away nice and clean filled with -100 deg antifreeze

Did you fill it with -100, or did you have it done?

erkoehler
10-22-2006, 09:07 PM

You'd never put all the antifreeze in the lake would you:mad:

:D

tex
10-22-2006, 09:08 PM
Now that is funny Tex! My brother, when the leg returns I am coming to Texas! If you don't want me I am Coming to Texas! If my proby says I am in violation of my legal issues I am still COMING TO TEXAS!8p
My doc told me the other day that it maybe next year before we know how the knee shakes out. Come on...If I can't ski...It just means more turns for you!

bigmac
10-22-2006, 09:19 PM
You'd never put all the antifreeze in the lake would you:mad:

:DI don't know how else I'd get it out of the engine...don't worry Erk, they won't catch me...;)

erkoehler
10-22-2006, 09:37 PM
I don't know how else I'd get it out of the engine...don't worry Erk, they won't catch me...;)

I know MANY a customers that do the same thing:D

bigmac
10-22-2006, 09:41 PM
I know MANY a customers that do the same thing:D

Just kiddin' ya, Erk...Propylene glycol is environmentally safe. In fact, it's even approved by the FDA as a food additive. It's also used in cosmetics and "personal lubricants".

erkoehler
10-22-2006, 09:53 PM
Just kiddin' ya, Erk...Propylene glycol is environmentally safe. In fact, it's even approved by the FDA as a food additive. It's also used in cosmetics and "personal lubricants".

We use the same stuff at CMC....they give tickets at the ramp in the spring for putting it in the lake though. Anything to make some more money!

shepherd
10-22-2006, 10:01 PM
All this talk about winterizing makes me think that this forum will be dominated by non-boating talk for the next several months, like "Fletch" chats, and "Which iron should I buy for my wife?" etc....

Wait, I guess that's been going on all along.. :rolleyes: :D

BTW, went skiing this morning and started buffing the PS 190 in the garage this afternoon... No winterizing here.

Jesus_Freak
10-23-2006, 03:23 AM
It took 4 hours each of 3-4 nights. I estimate winterization at around 16 hours of work! :D

It's like a retreat for me. I do a lot of stuff and look around for unusual things. Example, I found a nut and washer that I am not positive where it came from yet, but they look like they are on something pretty strong. Motor mounts looked ok.

Yeah...I meant 4 nights, not 4 hours. Dont know what I was thinkin'/typin'.

Wow...to be able to spend 16 hours focused on a project over the course of something less than a year....very impressive. Bummer about the nut/washer though. Let us know what comes loose when you start skiing next year. :huh: :D

Jesus_Freak
10-23-2006, 03:24 AM

Yeah...I meant 4 nights, not 4 hours. Dont know what I was thinkin'/typin'.

Wow...to be able to spend 16 hours focused on a project over the course of something less than a year....very impressive. Bummer about the nut/washer though. Let us know what comes loose when you start skiing next year. :huh: :D

10-23-2006, 08:24 AM

well NO wonder why I thought that stuff felt familiar.....:o :o ;)

10-23-2006, 08:47 AM
All this talk about winterizing makes me think that this forum will be dominated by non-boating talk for the next several months, like "Fletch" chats, and "Which iron should I buy for my wife?" etc....

TRU DAT! :o :o :o

jbfootin
10-23-2006, 09:21 AM
I finally gave in and winterized mine yesterday. Looked at the calander and realized that I am gone the next couple of weekends, and figured it was time to get ready for winter. ..bummer:(

It's not a bad way to spend a Sunday afternoon though. Packers winning a game on the radio and working on the boat...:)

east tx skier
10-23-2006, 10:12 AM
I'm holding out for one more solid ski day before my schedule and cooler weather does us in. Until then, my boat is ready to go.

loeweb
10-23-2006, 01:17 PM
Got the freezable parts taken care of here. Waiting on a fake a lake to fog the engine and fill w/ RV. but if I have to I can put her away for hopefully a short nap.

mitch
10-23-2006, 02:38 PM
MC is still ready to go, but winterized and tented the pontoon boat yeaterday. May get one more run yet, and I will not be filling it w/ anti-freeze....:)

beef
10-23-2006, 03:11 PM
Did a friend's MC yesterday. But mine is still ready to go! I'm looking to get at least halfway thru November. I'm on track to get a run in all 12 months this year - may have to do December in an outboard, though.

twieder
10-24-2006, 11:38 PM
Took mine to dealer sat. and picked it up today. Now its tucked in for a long winters nap. It snowed here again today,but didn't stick! Docks out and setting in yard.

Pic is of boat ready to be tucked in. Thank God it's only 50 ft from my bedroom!

3event
09-25-2007, 11:54 PM
9/24/07
Fall schedule already too crazy for time at the lake - kids' school events / extracurriculars / fall sports. And since nothing gets done around the house in summer it's time to catch up. Besides, now that the boat's outta water I finished up my ipod wiring, and I can clean her up good.

This is Wisconsin, and the weather could turn nasty any minute.... so .... until next year :(

Who's next?

EDIT - anybody need a third around MKE before it's all over???? Well, maybe..............

91ps190
09-26-2007, 12:28 AM
Hoping for a october outing yet - here in the great white north!!!

Maristar210
09-26-2007, 05:54 AM
I'm not giving up yet, no way:D

trickskier
09-26-2007, 06:41 AM
I'm not giving up yet, no way:D
I never Winterize....................I live in Florida!!!

Slinkyredfoot
09-26-2007, 07:53 AM
Looking to close up the lake house and take the boat out on October 13, still very nice weather here and the water is still comfortable, just a lot coming up after that with no time to go.

tones03
09-26-2007, 08:48 AM
Winterized, cleaning it next week, hopefuly then I will remember to take some pics and then in the barn for the winter. :(

trickskier
09-26-2007, 09:00 AM
Winterized, cleaning it next week, hopefuly then I will remember to take some pics and then in the barn for the winter. :(
Darn sorry to hear it too...............:rolleyes:

76S&S
09-26-2007, 09:17 AM
Not Yet...........

It's supposed to be 90 here in AL today. Won't make to the water this weekend but hopefully next weekend we will spend it back on the water.

pilot02
09-26-2007, 10:48 AM
I never Winterize....................I live in Florida!!!

I don't in GA either.... ;-)

09-26-2007, 10:53 AM
Lots of time yet! I got skiing to do!!! DOnt have to winterize for a month yet.

ski_king
09-26-2007, 10:54 AM
Got my boat and travel trailer home, but havn't winterized yet.
I will do the trailer this weekend, but hold out on the boat for 2 to 4 weeks yet hoping to get a oppertunity to use it some more.

The dock is in the water and I always hold out too long to take it out. I have to get wet once to my chest for 15 seconds to pull it and it seems I am always doing it in 40-50 degree water every year.

dpolen
09-26-2007, 11:02 AM
I'm scheduled to drop the boat off on Monday for winterization...I need one last hurrah this weekend before putting her to sleep...praying for good weather in the twin cities.

trickskier
09-26-2007, 11:16 AM
...praying for good weather in the twin cities.
Yeah, me too................:D

Maple Leaf
09-26-2007, 01:21 PM
No way - not yet!

Winterized too soon last year and missed a couple of good weekends. Besides, there's no ice on the lake yet...:D

dmayer84
11-07-2007, 06:55 PM
Well the boat is now offically winterized. Time for a long winter.

trickskier
11-07-2007, 09:01 PM
Hey UMP........................I went skiing this past weekend and I'll be skiing in Tampa at the Southern Reunion this weekend................

Leroy
11-07-2007, 10:05 PM
I brought it home last night as the temp went to 26 and will winterize this weekend.... :(

JerryS
11-07-2007, 10:27 PM
Not yet. Water temp here in CT is still in the 50's. She's snug as a bug in the garage at night. Course is still in - weekend wally's have been gone for 2 months. This is the time of year we have a private ski lake. Hoping to get several more days before thanksgiving.

Jerry

Monte
11-07-2007, 10:37 PM
Down for the count:(

Winterized... Weatherman is calling for mid to upper 20's every night for at least a week:mad:

We'll see what Thanksgiving day brings:cool:

JoshBuzz
11-07-2007, 11:10 PM
no point, we just bought a pop-up camper, so it looks like we'll be riding all winter!! Will change oil, and all that good stuff soon, but not just yet!!

:D

Sodar
11-07-2007, 11:36 PM
Last trip out to the river to use the boat this weelend. I will be back out there for Thanksgiving, but I think I will spend my time in the dirt, rather than the water... unless the conditions are too tough to pass up!!

erkoehler
11-08-2007, 12:59 AM
I brought it home last night as the temp went to 26 and will winterize this weekend.... :(

We had a line out the front door this weekend prior to the cold snap......so many people stating, "Can you squeeze me in?"

We made it though, all but one boat was either winterized or stored in doors. And the odd boat out had the owner refusing to winterize.

TMCNo1
11-08-2007, 06:16 AM
We had a line out the front door this weekend prior to the cold snap......so many people stating, "Can you squeeze me in?"

We made it though, all but one boat was either winterized or stored in doors. And the odd boat out had the owner refusing to winterize.

Keep up the good work Eric. We need people like you around here, it's down to 27 here now and the local boat mechanic had them lined up down the street yesterday! Snow showers in the mountains here about 60 miles away today and tonight.

jbfootin
11-08-2007, 09:40 AM
I did mine 2 weeks ago and I was in shorts and a t-shirt. That is a first. I am usually in a winter jacket freezing my but off. It has been a strange fall here in WI:rolleyes:

tex
11-05-2008, 06:34 PM
About time....Don't winterize the horn-Honk!

11-05-2008, 06:35 PM
****in' A!!!!!!!!!!!

brianpt
11-05-2008, 08:12 PM
did mine sept 8 snowing like a beach here wont be going out till may long weekend -3c for a high today

SkiDog
11-05-2008, 08:20 PM
I guess you could say I winterized mine............................. I back it into the warehouse! With the cover on it!

Doug G
11-05-2008, 08:51 PM
Mine has been tucked away for a month now cuz of the surgery and we are having warm weather! This blows!

Willski
11-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Winterized last weekend during a very warm day....Thought about going out, but with the chance of a nice day dwindling, decided to go ahead. I have accumulated snow in the boat while winterizing before, so it was nice to do it in good weather.

jimmies1
11-05-2008, 10:25 PM
Is there a down side to not winterizing ie:leaving the water in the block etc if your not worried with freezing temps? I have both my X80 and my sons Xstar in an insulated heated building and winterizing 3 motors is tedious especially if it's unnecessary. I have always winterized in the past regardless of conditions.

Sodar
11-05-2008, 10:26 PM
I winterize if I am not going to use it. Seems like it is good to get the water and rust out of the block, just to clean it out. Winterizing also gives you a chance to check the motor out and notice things that you wouldn't otherwise. My 2 cents.

whitedog
11-05-2008, 10:29 PM
Is there a down side to not winterizing ie:leaving the water in the block etc if your not worried with freezing temps? I have both my X80 and my sons Xstar in an insulated heated building and winterizing 3 motors is tedious especially if it's unnecessary. I have always winterized in the past regardless of conditions.

No downside, use stable to keep fuel in good condition. However, what happens when you get a prolonged cold spell and a power failure? Is it really worth the risk?