PDA

View Full Version : engine compartment divider material

Rich_G
10-21-2006, 12:34 AM
this is the hard plastic compartment divider. Anybody have an idea what this material is, and where to get it? or something similar? I want to use it to reinforce the broken hatch on my 99 205V. I am NOT looking for another divider. Thanks

H20skeefreek
10-21-2006, 12:40 AM
Starboard Lumber. Available at West Marine. Very expensive.

endl
10-25-2006, 04:31 PM
Check plastic companies who sell plexi-glass and that kind of stuff. They can get that stuff and alot of times will have scrap if you just need it to reinforce something.

justinlkgb
10-25-2006, 06:30 PM
Hey this is up my alley!! Try a company called US plastics...I think its been a while. Google search for plastic molders or formers or sheeting:D Try this. Hope it helps

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/default.asp

bfrank
10-25-2006, 07:30 PM
king starboard is the stuff. I have used it on a few boats. I was able to get it direct at about 1/2 the cost of other distributers, not to be mentioned. Comes in colors and different thicknesses.

http://www.kingstarboard.com/

Rich_G
10-25-2006, 07:53 PM
Thanks guys, starboard is definitely the type of material used for dividers, but there are several choices of material I could use. High density sheet plastic, sheet PVC, or even marine plywood (not the look I'm after). Starboard is probably the best but it is pricey at West Marine or Boatersworld. I will try to find a distributor or directly from the link above.

The rear hatch on my 99 205V has a diagonal front-to-back crack that I want to reinforce from the underside. Now, how to fasten it to the hatch material? I am concerned that screws won't hold, or would work their way out over time. I will be bonding two flat surfaces together, so shouldn't heavy duty plastic adhesive do the trick? Any specific product recommendations for types of glue? or opinions if this will work?

Rich_G
10-25-2006, 07:59 PM
here is the picture of the underside of the hatch. The center section will have to be supported using the starboard, but it will go up inside the cutout, to provide clearance for the air intake.

the yellow line illustrates where the original hatch is cracked

bfrank
10-25-2006, 10:24 PM
you can tap and thread king starboard. Use it like wood. (but)I always drilled it out and used stainless steel nuts and bolts with grommets.

bfrank
10-25-2006, 10:26 PM
epoxy for glue

JimN
10-25-2006, 10:30 PM
There's a place in New Berlin, WI called Midland Plastics but plastics suppliers are all over. The stuff in the photos may be Polyethylene and it comes in sheets, can be screwed together and is very strong. Epoxy won't stick to the black plastic in the pics.

bigmac
10-25-2006, 10:43 PM
I highly recommend 3M 5200 polyurethane marine adhesive/sealant (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SiteSearchView?catalogId=10001&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial&keyword=polyurethane&Ntt=polyurethane&N=0&y=0&x=0&storeId=10001&Ntk=All_2&ddkey=SiteSearch). That stuff really sticks. Tensile strength 600 lbs for the fast-cure version (24 hours). If you have a lot of time, the slower cure stuff holds even tighter, although it takes 7 days to cure. I've used the latter on dissimilar plastics and it's impressive. It's waterproof and flexible, unlike epoxy, and is "designed for the marine environment".

endl
10-26-2006, 12:15 PM
What about getting a piece of that plastic/synthetic deck material used for outdoor decks and running it all the way across the front and then put another piece across the back. If you glue and screw you will not have any problems. It would be a good quick fix, that would last until you replace the whole thing if you even wanted to.