PDA

View Full Version : Steer me hard baby.....

Teamoro
10-20-2006, 09:06 PM
I recently purchased 2003 X10 MCX - love it - under mid throttle (30 mph) when I turn to the right... its like power steering.... smooth, easy to turn the wheel; turn to the left and its as tight/tough as can be....suggestions? has anyone else experienced this? what causes it? fixes?:cool:
Thanks.

TMCNo1
10-20-2006, 09:26 PM
Your rudder will turn easier to the right than to the left because of the prop rotation [LH], blowing water off the blades against the rudder. It's just the way it is. If it was RH than it would be the opposite.

Ric
10-21-2006, 01:06 AM
I think there is a new rudder for the x10 that makes it easy to steer
I will bump this thread

NeilM
10-21-2006, 01:27 AM
Assuming the rudder has been greased, it's time for a new Steering Cable. I have a 2002 Maristar 210 (same as X-10, different graphics), and had to replace the cable a couple of years ago. If they get wet, they corrode inside and it's game over.

Jerseydave
10-21-2006, 10:36 AM
Before you change the cable, does it turn easy in both directions with the boat on the trailer? If so, it's most likely not a bad cable.

I changed my rudder on my '03 230VRS, steers better but still steers a little hard when returning from a left-hand turn. If you notice, the rudder is offset from the shaft centerline to help negate the thrust from the prop (or so I'm told). This rudder offset could be why they steer harder one direction.

Get the updated rudder......you will notice a big difference!

Jerseydave
10-21-2006, 10:36 AM
Contact MYMC for a new rudder!

macdundee1
04-14-2007, 12:16 PM
I had a similar problem with my 1995 Prostar so, I bought a Makita grinder and ground down the trailing edge (inner, the side that receives most of the water flow from the prop) of the rudder from top to bottom. I took about 1/8 of an inch off of the rear of the rudder. It was simple to do, didn't risk compromising the integrity of the rudder, took just a few minutes and solved my problem. Afterward the boat tracked perfectly straight and turned to tleft much easier. I am about to do the same thing ot my X-10 as it has the same issue.