PDA

View Full Version : TV - OLN Slalom Time

east tx skier
12-14-2004, 12:18 PM
For those who can program a VCR or have a DVR/TIVO:

Men & women slalom is scheduled 12/21, 2-2:30 am on OLN according to their website http://www.olntv.com/showviewer.asp?sid=76&eps=168220

Farmer Ted
12-14-2004, 12:37 PM
yeah and if you mail me a copy I'll burn it to DVD or convert it to a WMV file and email it.

we could start a DVD coop and just pass it around....

Mag_Red
12-14-2004, 12:53 PM
Every time I check Direct TV I can not find the program listed. If I'm reading the TV guide listing correctly, :confused: it is channel 608 OLN. Is this not correct??? I would love to see some water skiing on the tube.

east tx skier
12-14-2004, 12:57 PM
I've got a burner, too. At 30 minutes, it's probably too big to email. Of course, if someone wanted to host it privately, that's another story (there are probably copyright concerns there).

Jerseydave
12-18-2004, 08:27 AM
That actually works out good for me, I wake up at 2 AM on tuesdays :eek: to go to work.

Zach S
12-18-2004, 04:28 PM
it is currently about 2:30 Central and there is show skiing on OLN right now.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
12-18-2004, 07:08 PM
I just happened to catch the last few minutes of the 2004 ski show competition sponsored by MasterCraft on OLN this afternoon. What I saw was good.....a nice distraction from the snow that was blowing outside the window. Hope to catch it when/if it is run again.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
12-18-2004, 09:22 PM
I just happened to catch the last few minutes of the 2004 ski show competition sponsored by MasterCraft on OLN this afternoon. Hope to catch it when/if it is run again.
Set the timers for 1:00 - 2:00 eastern on Thursday (12/23) afternoon. After checking the OLN listings I see it will run again then.

jimmer2880
12-20-2004, 06:48 AM
That actually works out good for me, I wake up at 2 AM on tuesdays :eek: to go to work.
I thought I was bad waking up at 4 to go to work! 2AM is just nutz! :noface:

east tx skier
12-21-2004, 11:14 AM
Hey, Jimmer. Happy birthday!

jimmer2880
12-22-2004, 07:06 AM
Hey, Jimmer. Happy birthday!
THANKS! I'll be sure to drink one for you tonight (no fun last night, but no work tomorrow :D Look OUT!)

east tx skier
12-28-2004, 11:22 AM
So did anybody watch this? I watched the women's slalom, but haven't watched the men yet. So far, I'm really impressed with the footage. Much better than the world cup last year. It looks as if they've got at least three cameras working together so that it's not just that same shot from the boat the whole time. Good stuff.

MarkP
12-28-2004, 11:33 AM
Doug

Are you getting this on tape/cd for us?..

André
12-28-2004, 12:54 PM
Is there gonna be a rerun?When?

Leroy
12-28-2004, 03:36 PM
I'll check my tivo, I was searching for the salom ski shows.

east tx skier
12-28-2004, 03:46 PM
It'll be under "Vortec Power Hour."

Mark, I was thinking that it wouldn't be much trouble to rip it to CD-RW as a Video CD mpeg that can be played in most DVD players (and certainly on a computer if nothing else). The resolution isn't quite DVD, but it would enable those who don't have DVD burners, but do have CD Burners, to pass it along to others.

I'm in the process of editing a bunch of home movies. If I take out the commercials on this thing, it'll probably be just under 22 minutes, which will fit on an CD.

BriEOD
12-28-2004, 07:37 PM
Doug, you're all right in my book, I don't care what Mark says about you! :D

MarkP
12-28-2004, 09:28 PM
Hay, I can read ya know.. Kant spel,:o but Ican read:rolleyes: !!

BriEOD
12-29-2004, 09:47 AM
Well I knew you could cook and slalom but wasn't sure about the literacy thing. ;)

east tx skier
12-29-2004, 11:20 AM
Okay, I've now watched it. They really did a bang up job with the camera work. One in the boat, one on the shore looking straight down the course. and one high, and to the side. Phenominal shots.

And I got to hand it to Natalie Hamrick. She may not have won, but kudos to her for always going with the relatively skimpy bikini bottoms.

Mapple had a rather poor showing. 1@41off. ;) Sorry to see him retire with a 3rd Place Masters. Still impressive.

Leroy
12-29-2004, 11:31 AM
I haven't been able to find it in the Directv guide and wasn't recorded. :(

east tx skier
12-29-2004, 12:16 PM
Leroy, I'm thinking of making a backup copy for myself. I'll probably make an extra on VCD and send it to somebody, who can copy and send to someone else (strictly for backup purposes of course). Anybody with a CD burner can do this. It has to be CD-RW. CD-Rs don't work in DVD players for video for some reason. If somebody wants to email me or PM me, we'll get the chain going.

Edit:

Of course, if someone wants to put it on the net, or a P2P, that's certainly possible. I just don't want the liability of it all being that it's copyrighted material, etc.

east tx skier
12-30-2004, 11:17 AM
So nobody wants to watch 21 minutes of pure slalom. What are you guys a bunch of tube-wallys?

Ric
12-30-2004, 11:19 AM
what was the question? For the record, I'd love to see that

east tx skier
12-30-2004, 11:32 AM
Well, since a lot of people missed this, I proposed making a Video CD backup of it as it's only 22 minutes long. This is basically a video file that has a lower resolution than DVD, but still looks pretty good in my opinion. The upside of using CD other than DVD is that the person I send it to could burn a copy using a CD burner and pass it on to someone else that's interested. The only wrinkle is that you have to use CD-RWs as CD-Rs won't work in any DVD player I've tried them in.

Of course, if someone wanted to host it or put it on a P2P network, that'd be a real easy way for people to see it, but there are obvious copyright problems that I doubt anyone would want to deal with.

All I'm suggesting is backup copies and time-shifted viewing. :)

It'll also have that new MC Prostar commercial on it.

Ric
12-30-2004, 12:31 PM
Well, since a lot of people missed this, I proposed making a Video CD backup of it as it's only 22 minutes long. This is basically a video file that has a lower resolution than DVD, but still looks pretty good in my opinion. The upside of using CD other than DVD is that the person I send it to could burn a copy using a CD burner and pass it on to someone else that's interested. The only wrinkle is that you have to use CD-RWs as CD-Rs won't work in any DVD player I've tried them in.

Of course, if someone wanted to host it or put it on a P2P network, that'd be a real easy way for people to see it, but there are obvious copyright problems that I doubt anyone would want to deal with.

All I'm suggesting is backup copies and time-shifted viewing. :)

It'll also have that new MC Prostar commercial on it.

Ok my answer is yes if it will play in my dvd player at home. I have nero on my computer here but am successful burning stuff for fun and for work about 20% of the time (I am not kidding) I dont know if it's me, my burner or my software but it's frustrating indeed.
would it be a problem for each of us to send you sayyyyy ten bucks and you mail us one?

east tx skier
12-30-2004, 01:16 PM
Ric, my hestitation with regard to the idea of people sending money, even if it is for blanks and shipping is that it is copyrighted and this is a public forum. I don't think there's a problem with my making a backup copy for someone to view as this is no different than my taping it and lending the tape to a friend. I will be using Nero for the actual burn portion, too. What brand of CDs do you use? I've had problems with Memorex in the past. With a CD-RW, you can always erase and try again if, for some reason, it doesn't work. Sometimes, CDs are just flakey.

As for it playing on your DVD player, the answer is 99% that it should. One of my dvd players is old (like 1998), and it will handle VCDs. The only player that has spit them out is my polaroid portable player.

Ric
12-30-2004, 01:19 PM
I thought you might say that about the dollars being the legal guy and all.
Yes, it could be my cheapo cd's ( I have memorex and office depot cdr's on my desk right now)
I am very impatient so when it fails I get pissed and nero is kinda funny how it reacts slowly to commands. (bad matchup for an impatient computer hater)

Farmer Ted
12-30-2004, 01:34 PM
so, the smart thing to do would be to email Doug your address and ask him to send you a copy of the TV show he taped. It's not like you're asking him to burn you a copy of a DVD that he rented from Blockbuster or Bought from Bestbuy....

psst Doug.... you can burn mine to DVD please....

east tx skier
12-30-2004, 04:39 PM
Tim, tried to send you a PM, but your mailbox is full. I'll try email. But sounds great! Ric, just PM me your address and I'll send it on to you.

east tx skier
12-31-2004, 01:46 AM
Alright, I've got 'em burned up. Should have 'em in the mail tomorrow if all goes according to plan.

Farmer Ted
12-31-2004, 11:46 AM
Thanks Doug!

I'll try and get the stuff out this afternoon if the post office is open!

Happy New Year!

MarkP
12-31-2004, 11:56 AM
Sweet Doug!!

If someone that gets a back up from Doug would send me a pm (so Doug doesn’t have to do all the work). Let me know.

milkmania
01-01-2005, 11:35 PM
how many MB is this file you're needing hosted????

I've got some pull with a domain with 2000 mb space:banana:

now that I've got DSL, we might be able to work something out.....strictly top secret....no money involved kinda stuff

east tx skier
01-03-2005, 01:13 PM
the video CD file is fewer than 300 mb if I recall correctly. Ric should be getting it today or tomorrow.

Ric
01-03-2005, 01:24 PM
Sweet Doug!!

If someone that gets a back up from Doug would send me a pm (so Doug doesn’t have to do all the work). Let me know.

will do Mark
Received it today
pm me your address
hope I can actually burn it properly!

MarkP
01-03-2005, 01:41 PM
Thanks Ric...