PDA

View Full Version : Any Boatdock/Boathouse forums or resources?

beanboy
10-19-2006, 11:24 PM
I've noticed that what people use at their lake houses to store their boats on the water varies wildly, depending on region. Up north docks are not generally as elaborate due to weather constraints, but down in the south where we can leave our boats in dock a good portion of the year, and also not have to worry about our lakes freezing, people tend to build more elaborate boat docks.

When I say boat dock I mean a permanent 50-150 foot pier attached to a covered dock that houses a boat and a couple jet skis, usually. Some have 2nd story 'party decks' located on top. Often there's a closet and sink as well.

Does anyone know where there is a good resource or website with lots of pictures or info on these? I've seen the occasional 'post your boat dock' thread on a couple of websites, but other than that haven't been able to find much.

I am set to start construction on my boat dock on Dec. 1 and just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.
So far the basic plan is a 100 foot walkway, eight feet wide, to a dock that measures 33x33 IIRC. It has a slip for a 25' boat and 2 jet skis. Freshwater sink with granite counter top and hoses for washdown. Top deck is 33x33', uncovered, with the floor being pressed concrete.

Any thoughts?

erkoehler
10-20-2006, 12:41 AM
How wide are you making the slip?

beanboy
10-20-2006, 07:29 AM
Don't remember, why do you ask?

Bruce
10-20-2006, 03:10 PM
Are you going to use a lift/hoist?

Rich_G
10-20-2006, 03:24 PM
Here are a couple of commercial sites:
http://www.boatliftdistributors.com/
http://www.boatdockstuff.com/

Also do a search on wakeworld.com - plenty of ideas and discussion; never heard of a specific boathouse forum. I live on a lake in Texas and have a modest boathouse. We love it. It sounds like you are building a nice one. I would go for as much shade as possible on the lower deck. I've never heard of a concrete floor upper deck; you must be building to commercial specs.

One minor recommendation - when you build your slip, don't just go with the standard rectangular opening. Fill in the deck on the front corners to conform to the bow. This gives you better access to the boat for cleaning, putting on the cover, etc. Oh, and hang a porch swing from the rafters.

beanboy
10-20-2006, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the advice.

Yes, there is going to be a 6000lb lift in the slip.

Good idea on the non-rectangular slip..this is something I would assume would already be the case, but I'm going to double check the plans to be sure this is what is actually being done.

Bruce
10-20-2006, 06:28 PM
I just installed a lift so if you have any question there I will be glad to help. Unfortunately I had to use straps/slings rather than the drive on because I did not have enough water depth underneath at low tide.

c640947
10-21-2006, 03:27 PM
If you want pictures, my dad's site has a ton, although not many of the docks you are referring to. His site is due to be totally redesigned I think by Dec 1.