PDA

View Full Version : Laptop/ Notebook recommendations

Mag_Red
10-19-2006, 10:24 AM
I may be buying one for my daughter. Just need to know what to look for when shopping different brands. It will be used mostly for internet access/ homework/ downloading music and pics. Don't need a big freakin screen like Erk's PC.....but bigger than 15". Thanks for your help.:)

bigmac
10-19-2006, 10:34 AM
I may be buying one for my daughter. Just need to know what to look for when shopping different brands. It will be used mostly for internet access/ homework/ downloading music and pics. Don't need a big freakin screen like Erk's PC.....but bigger than 15". Thanks for your help.:)MacBook, absolutely no doubt in my mind. I just bought one for my daughter. It uses the Intel Core Duo, is screamin' fast, and it's integration with multimedia is amazing, even for Apple, IMHO. The thing comes with a little remote control and pushing the menu button brings up cool icons for the four aspects, music, photos, video, and DVD, so it can be the centerpiece of any multimedia system no matter how fancy or simple. Hook it up to any standard amplifier/speakers and she'll have a stereo system with all her music that will certainly be enough to drive you crazy. Obviously, iPod integration is a no-brainer, as is any other MP3 player. It has built-in networking, including wireless and Bluetooth, and better battery life than any PC laptop I've ever owned.

It's also worth noting that Windows XP can be loaded so that the machine will boot into either Mac OSX or Windows XP, but personally, Mac OSX is so simple and so cool that I see no reason to even bother with XP. I should state that I am mostly a PC person because it's what we run at work, but there's no question IMHO that OSX is vastly superior and more sophisticated.

As to homework, get the student/educator version of Microsoft Office (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/6324001/wo/qm5lrht6jusW2CT4Nsf1qDOtDly/1.0.21.1.0.8.25.7.11.4.3), it's only $150.

sizzler
10-19-2006, 10:50 AM
i just "future-proofed" myself and bought the sony vaio AR .......awesome piece of kit

jlf
10-19-2006, 11:07 AM
i just "future-proofed" myself and bought the sony vaio AR .......awesome piece of kit
We have the sony Vaio also and really like it. I am pretty computer stupid and it seems to be pretty easy to use. Didn't cost us a fortune either. I will say the battery doesn't last all that long on ours, but we rarely use it when not connected to a power outlet.

BuoyChaser
10-19-2006, 11:39 AM
MacBook, absolutely no doubt in my mind.

It's also worth noting that Windows XP can be loaded so that the machine will boot into either Mac OSX or Windows XP, but personally, Mac OSX is so simple and so cool that I see no reason to even bother with XP. I should state that I am mostly a PC person because it's what we run at work, but there's no question IMHO that OSX is vastly superior and more sophisticated.

i agree convinced my parents to get MacBook and i've only had to answer a couple "usability" issues rather than tech calls for them the past 6mos which is great!!!

if you really HAVE to use Windows XP then look Parallels Desktop for Mac to run Windows and Mac OS X at the same time, not like with BootCamp made by Mac where you have to reboot every time...i installed it on my parents and works GREAT!!!
http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/

RexDog1
10-19-2006, 11:51 AM
MacBook MacBook I have one at home and love it, and thinking about getting
Some for work

BuoyChaser
10-19-2006, 12:00 PM
Some for work
i'm about ready to send the request through for a MacBook for here at work, especially since Parallels works so seamlessly...not sure how it will work on the network though...

could be interesting since most of my design software, Macromedia Suite (now Adobe) is all in PC format...would love to move to MAC format but they've yet to provide a competitive upgrade for switching software!!!

has anyone heard about Apple's release of an iTV in time for christmas???rumours have it allows you to request TV on demand directly to your TV set, see ya later cable or satellite!!!

bigmac
10-19-2006, 12:22 PM
i just "future-proofed" myself and bought the sony vaio AR .......awesome piece of kitMight be better over there, but in the US, Sony is notorious for absolutely horrible customer service, especially in their computer line.

Mag_Red
10-19-2006, 12:23 PM
I see the Apple people are up early.:D I will say......I do love the commercials with the PC and Mac guy talking. Those spots really crack me up.

Maristar210
10-19-2006, 12:28 PM
MacBook, absolutely no doubt in my mind. I just bought one for my daughter. It uses the Intel Core Duo, is screamin' fast, and it's integration with multimedia is amazing, even for Apple, IMHO. The thing comes with a little remote control and pushing the menu button brings up cool icons for the four aspects, music, photos, video, and DVD, so it can be the centerpiece of any multimedia system no matter how fancy or simple. Hook it up to any standard amplifier/speakers and she'll have a stereo system with all her music that will certainly be enough to drive you crazy. Obviously, iPod integration is a no-brainer, as is any other MP3 player. It has built-in networking, including wireless and Bluetooth, and better battery life than any PC laptop I've ever owned.

As to homework, get the student/educator version of Microsoft Office (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/6324001/wo/qm5lrht6jusW2CT4Nsf1qDOtDly/1.0.21.1.0.8.25.7.11.4.3), it's only $150.

Mag -

MacBook is what I just got from my wife for a birthday. I love the simplicity of it. I-tunes works slick as hell and the picture loading and processing is very good.

Bye Bye PC - Never again will I buy a PC

Steve

Mag_Red
10-19-2006, 12:32 PM
Mag -

MacBook is what I just got from my wife for a birthday. I love the simplicity of it. I-tunes works slick as hell and the picture loading and processing is very good.

SteveNext thing HB will announce he quit drinking.......what's the world coming to???:D Not familiar with the software on a Mac.......easy as hell to do word processing and household $$ management??

erkoehler
10-19-2006, 12:38 PM
Bob, I think mine is only a 17inch screen...ICBW

Mag_Red
10-19-2006, 12:39 PM
Bob, I think mine is only a 17inch screen...ICBW
Don't be so modest.........It had to be at least 23"s:D

BuoyChaser
10-19-2006, 12:46 PM
Some for work
i'm about ready to send the request through for a MacBook for here at work, especially since Parallels works so seamlessly...not sure how it will work on the network though...

could be interesting since most of my design software, Macromedia Suite (now Adobe) is all in PC format...would love to move to MAC format but they've yet to provide a competitive upgrade for switching software!!!

has anyone heard about Apple's release of an iTV in time for christmas???rumours have it allows you to request TV on demand directly to your TV set, see ya later cable or satellite!!!

sanjuan23
10-19-2006, 12:46 PM
Next thing HB will announce he quit drinking.......what's the world coming to???:D Not familiar with the software on a Mac.......easy as hell to do word processing and household $$ management??

Everything is easier on a Mac. My older iBook still runs circles around my PC Desktop at the house and work. Not to mention the wife's new Thinkpad for work. I have debated ordering another MacBook or whatever they are calling them these days. I like simplicity in my life. Hence the Mac and MasterCraft!:D

sizzler
10-19-2006, 12:52 PM
Might be better over there, but in the US, Sony is notorious for absolutely horrible customer service, especially in their computer line.
not had to use the customer service dept yet......only been 4 weeks tho.....bought it when i was in NY..........doing my bit for your economy

Tryin-again
10-19-2006, 01:18 PM
Next thing HB will announce he quit drinking.......what's the world coming to???:D Not familiar with the software on a Mac.......easy as hell to do word processing and household $$ management??

You pretty much have the same choices for Mac - I use old mac programs that were free for WP/SS/etc.. although they might be discontinued with the new processors. But you have Mac M/S Office plus others - and Quicken/Quickbooks has been on Macs for years....

All or almost all the Adobe products - Photoshop, indesign, Illustrator/go-live - acrobat have been standards for yrs.....

Unless you have some specialty software you shouldn't have any problems and now with the intel chip - that shouldn't be an issue.

Macs come loaded with lots of the multimedia software, Browser software, Mail software, FTP server software, firewall protection,etc.....

Workin' 4 Toys
10-19-2006, 01:47 PM
I won't say "never", but my next one will be an Apple. I stopped in the Apple store the other day, and I was impressed.

milkmania
10-19-2006, 01:53 PM
I keep hearing rumors that Microsoft has stopped support of their Windows Media Center Edition..... but I can't find anyting to corroborate this:(

I have notice a lot of laptops that bestbuy & sam's carry have media center edition installed, and I'm hearing that since M$ stopped producing it, the laptop manufacturers got a good deal on them.

dunno, but if it's true, it would sure sway my opinion on a laptop purchase:twocents:

bigmac
10-19-2006, 02:02 PM
Next thing HB will announce he quit drinking.......what's the world coming to???:D Not familiar with the software on a Mac.......easy as hell to do word processing and household $$ management??Microsoft Word is Microsoft Word, whether it's on a PC or a Mac. Likewise Quicken or Quickbooks Pro.

mitch
10-19-2006, 02:03 PM
Thinkpads. I know it's Lenova now, but the designers are still ex-IBM er's I'm on my 4th one over the years and the fam uses my older ones. ZERO problems!!!

bigmac
10-19-2006, 02:06 PM
I won't say "never", but my next one will be an Apple. I stopped in the Apple store the other day, and I was impressed.OMG...did you sit down and play around on the Mac Pro with the 30 inch LCD? Boy, if that doesn't make your pants a little tight, you don't have any appreciation for home computing.

bigmac
10-19-2006, 02:07 PM
Thinkpads. I know it's Lenova now, but the designers are still ex-IBM er's I'm on my 4th one over the years and the fam uses my older ones. ZERO problems!!!My X40 has been reliable, but is totally uninspiring. I hate it. In my mind, it absolutely personifies the guy in the grey suit...

http://images.apple.com/getamac/images/indextop20060501.jpg[

Tom023
10-19-2006, 02:58 PM
Microsoft Word is Microsoft Word, whether it's on a PC or a Mac. Likewise Quicken or Quickbooks Pro.

While Quicken may work the same on a PC and Mac, it's not easily transferrable unless Intuit has changed since Quicken 2004. It was an absolute nightmare getting my PC-based Quicken files accurate in my Mac-based Quicken account.

Sodar
10-19-2006, 04:16 PM
I am an Apple fan too... I just sold my 6 month old iBook and purchased a MacBook... I could not be happier!!

G-man
10-19-2006, 05:04 PM
I use to be a big Apple fan. They were a great client for 5 years. I just can't justify todays pricing difference's. Someday they may be considered mainstream and compete price wise but till then I'm on the intel train. I also hope they run XP applications without as many smoke and mirrors. The day is coming but it's just not there.

Utahfoiler
10-19-2006, 05:36 PM
Get an HP notebook, if fact I can get one for you since I am a HP reseller.

no bias here at all.

milkmania
10-19-2006, 05:48 PM

no bias here at all.

let's talk

Footin
10-19-2006, 05:56 PM
I have really liked my last 2 laptops, first was a Dell Latitude and now a Compaq Evo.

Both have done everyhing I asked of them.

erkoehler
10-19-2006, 05:58 PM
I have really liked my last 2 laptops, first was a Dell Latitude and now a Compaq Evo.

Both have done everyhing I asked of them.

I just wish mine had a bit more security :)

Footin
10-19-2006, 05:58 PM
That was your own fault! You Putz.

puck_11
10-19-2006, 11:26 PM
Make sure your daughter knows what size laptop she wants. Anything bigger than 15" and it gets to be a big pain in the *** to lug around. If she'll be using it for college, the more mobile the better. Pick a screen size, then go looking for models after that. Check notebookreview.com, make sure it has good battery life. Nothing worse than a laptop that dies after 2 hours. I have a 14" laptop and I think its the optimal size, not too big to lug around, and not one of those dinky 12" screens. It's a Dell XPS M140, now the Inspiron E1405 or the 15" version E1505. My roomate has a MAC, those are pretty nice too.

dmayer84
10-20-2006, 12:51 AM
One thing that I noticed while working on campus at the IS repairing student machines is that the macs dont tend to fail other than the hard drive. A lot of college students dont give their laptops they respect and all the banging around causes the hard drive to go. And from what I learned when they go on a mac they tend to loose pretty much everything, no warnings like a lot of pc's give. Also I noticed a lot of Ibooks having the file permissions get messed up and the machine wont boot and then a repair has to be run with the install cd. I would either go with windows xp for ease of use, or run Ubuntu or another user friendly distro of linux and then get open office which saves in the same format as all of office and its free :D

kennbarbie
10-20-2006, 01:04 AM

no bias here at all.

Im a HP reseller as well, thats the way I would go. Service is good, and you can get a good little machine without spending a ton. Check out the HP NC 6400, you cant go wrong there.

NeilM
10-20-2006, 10:34 AM
Macbook. It's easy to use - focus on the homework, not figuring out how to make the dang thing work..

mitch
10-20-2006, 12:31 PM
My X40 has been reliable, but is totally uninspiring. I hate it. In my mind, it absolutely personifies the guy in the grey suit...

http://images.apple.com/getamac/images/indextop20060501.jpg[

Perhaps, but it's got a job to do and does it very well. Factoring in the reliabilty piece and I'm not sure what else I could ask for. Don't know much about the X40 though

bigmac
10-20-2006, 01:08 PM
Perhaps, but it's got a job to do and does it very well. Factoring in the reliabilty piece and I'm not sure what else I could ask for. Don't know much about the X40 though

Nah, I've spent a lot of time over the 2 years I've owned it eliminating IBM's bloatware. That stuff is incorporated deep within the registry. Reminds me of trying to get Captain Picard back from the Borg.

Carbon Dreams
10-20-2006, 02:17 PM
We've used the Dell Dimension Laptops and now the Panasonic Tuff books (CF-73).

The Dell was good, but fairly flimsy on the display hinges. Mine has broken :( They also have nice high-res displays.

The Panasonic's are just about bomb proof. They also employ a touch screen that is way brighter than the Dell. I don't know how many nits it is but I can use it outside. It also has a built in Edge Modem for Cingular service. Battery life could be better.

My brother uses the Gateway Tablet PC's as well as the Mac products. I haven't got much feedback from the tablet pc's yet. I will find out more.

rick s.
10-20-2006, 05:12 PM
Apple or Mac ibook. Bought one for my wife last christmas and it has been a real joy, as I haven't had to **** with it at all.

Leroy
10-20-2006, 08:21 PM
She's young enough to know more what she will want/use than any of us probably! Give her the credit card and tell her have at it! ;)

I may be buying one for my daughter. Just need to know what to look for when shopping different brands. It will be used mostly for internet access/ homework/ downloading music and pics. Don't need a big freakin screen like Erk's PC.....but bigger than 15". Thanks for your help.:)

SDAhockey21
10-20-2006, 08:47 PM
Sony is great. Look at the sony vaio's they are stylish and very reliable

ShawnE
10-20-2006, 09:11 PM
I edit video all day long on MAC equipment. We never have problems.
Where I work we have 4 G5s hooked to shared storage and use Final Cut Pro/DVD Studio Pro. When on location I use the new iMac using the same software. The new iMac is a great machine if you don't need the portability. As far as keeping your Mac tuned up, Disk Warrior is the best utility out there. The Mac OS seems to have a problem with "permissions/directory" issues, Disk Warrior is the best at correcting this. Another plus, Macs don't incur the wrath of virus problems near as much as the Windows environment.

phecksel
10-20-2006, 09:17 PM
i agree convinced my parents to get MacBook and i've only had to answer a couple "usability" issues rather than tech calls for them the past 6mos which is great!!!

http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/

You're a whole lot smarter then I am, LOL. After dad passed away, I attempted to "fix" their computer, and it was a cobbled up mess. Finally told mom i hated spending her money, but even I couldn't fix that mess. The only problem I run into, mom's a button pusher, and usually doesn't remember what buttons she pushed! Which reminds me, I need to get over there and back her computer up...

BuoyChaser
10-23-2006, 11:11 AM
check out http://www.notebookreview.com/

Most Popular Laptops
% Share of 67,386 Clicks / Click Count
1. HP Pavilion dv6000t
7.4% / 6003
2. Toshiba Satellite A105
3.4% / 2754
3. Sony VAIO SZ
3.2% / 2564
4. Dell Inspiron 6400
2.6% / 2120
5. Acer Aspire 5102
2.4% / 1973
6. Lenovo (IBM) ThinkPad T60
2.1% / 1690
7. HP Pavilion dv2000t
1.6% / 1313
8. HP Pavilion dv9000t
1.5% / 1236
9. Toshiba Satellite P105
1.5% / 1216
10. Dell XPS M1710
1.5% / 1192
11. Acer Ferrari 1000
1.4% / 1128
12. Compaq & HP Compaq nc8430
1.3% / 1071
13. Lenovo (IBM) 3000 N100
1.2% / 969
14. Dell XPS M1210
1.1% / 917
15. Sony VAIO FE
1.1% / 914

BuoyChaser
10-23-2006, 11:27 AM
here are some good things to think about when buying a notebook:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=29271

What Should I Buy FAQ (Please Read Before Posting)
INSTRUCTIONS: New laptop buyers, please copy and paste the below questions into a new thread with as many answers as you can give, this way others can help you to find a laptop that fits your needs.

NOTE: Read here if you don't know whether to wait or buy now.

START COPY
==========

General Questions

1) What is your budget?

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

a. Ultraportable; 12" screen or less
b. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
c. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
d. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) What tasks will you be performing with the notebook?

4) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places or leaving it on your desk?

5) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games?

6) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

7) How many hours of battery life do you need?

8) Do you mind buying online without seeing the notebook in person?

9) Please select your country's flag as a post icon and tell us what country are you buying this in?

Screen Specifics

10) Would you prefer standard or widescreen?

11) From the choices below, what screen resolutions would you prefer?

Standard
a. XGA -1024x768 - Large and easy to read text + graphics icons, but you fit less stuff on the screen.
b. SXGA - 1400x1050 - Compromise resolution between XGA and UXGA.
c. UXGA - 1600x1200 - Very small text and graphics icons, you can fit lots of stuff on the screen.

Widescreen
d. WXGA or WXGA+ - 1280x768/800 or 1440x900; Wider viewing version of XGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.
e. WSXGA+ - 1680x1050; Wider viewing version of SXGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.
f. WUXGA - 1920x1200; Wider viewing version of UXGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.

12) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?

Build Quality and Design

13) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

14) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this laptop to last?

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you want; 40GB to 160GB?

16) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD-ROM, DVD-CD/RW or DVD-RW drive?

==========
END COPY

Please state any additional features you need. If you don't know how to answer a question or don't care about what it is asking then just say so!

GLOSSARY AND EXPLANATION FOR SOME TERMS USED ABOVE

Glossy vs. Matte Screen

Glossy screens have a reflective coating. Colors appear sharper and more vibrant. They do however produce more glare. Some people like them, others do not. The glare problem is most acute in well lit environments, like an office. Glossy screens tend to be better for multimedia uses like viewing DVDs or photos. If you are unfamiliar with the screen types, we would highly recommend you check some of each type out before you buy. The screen is one of the more important parts on a notebook. You do not want to get stuck with something you do not like.

Screen Size & Resolution

Please note screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some can view SXGA resolution on a 14 screen all day while others think it is horribly small. Again, we would recommend you check some notebook screens before you buy to see what best fits your needs. (see notebook screen guide article for more info)

Workin' 4 Toys
10-23-2006, 02:04 PM
OMG...did you sit down and play around on the Mac Pro with the 30 inch LCD? Boy, if that doesn't make your pants a little tight, you don't have any appreciation for home computing.
I don't recall the 30" dimension, but one of them was larger than one of my TV's... And the clarity of the screens was very impressive.......