PDA

View Full Version : Jump Seat For 93 205 Prostar

Jeff Lyman
10-18-2006, 09:34 PM
Hey guys I bought a boat it's a 1993 prostar 205 with the 351. I was looking into buying a tristar but decided to spend the extra. It's going in the water this weekend for the maiden voyage we'll be bundled in snowmobile jackets in upstate NY. It snowed here last week !

I would like a jump seat for the center, does Matercraft still make them or will east tx skier build another? Has anyone ever used cover bowes to tighten the cover on these boats?

Thanks to everyone that help me pick out a boat best for my use.

BriEOD
10-18-2006, 09:57 PM
Jeff,

I'm not sure about the jump seat. Doug can tell you all you want to know about the 93' 205 and more. Also, MarkP is a good guy to talk to about the 93' 205 as well and he is in your AOR.

As for your cover, a lot of folks use PVC to build a skeleton under the cover to reinforce it from sagging. You can use 2" PVC and not glue it together at the joints. Do a search on here and you'll find lots of discussion about it.

Cheers

erkoehler
10-18-2006, 10:00 PM
In that year, you should be able to adjust the poles so that the water won't pool. The pole in front of the engine box should be an inch or two shorter than the pole behind the engine box.

Take a pic of the cover if your still having trouble.

east tx skier
10-19-2006, 10:51 AM
Jeff, shoot me a PM and I'll try to get you everything you need to know about building a jump seat for your boat if you decide to go that route. It is more time consuming than anything else. But if you're handy with a jigsaw, a drill, and a staple gun, there's not much to it.

Also, PM Erk and see if you can talk him out of the OEM jump seat he has for a 96 205. It ought to fit yours. The seatback accent color won't match perfectly, but you can get that replaced for less than it will cost to build your own.

I have only seen a few (maybe 4) 205s that had the original factory jump seat in them. The ones MC sells for the X1, old X2, 205V, etc. (assuming they still sell them) were being offered (after the discount) for roughly $500 a few years ago. Retail was somewhere around $700 or more if I recall correctly.

Building my own, using OEM vinyl probably ran me over $300. I already had the wood. After my original seat foam purchase wasn't up to snuff, I let my local auto trim shop order something that matched and just install all the vinyl for me. So that accounted for a little bit more. I think if I'd originally got them to match the seat foam, the foam would have run me about $25. So $275 is probably a reasonable estimate minus their labor, and including carpet, nonskid, hinges, cupholders, stables, and wood. But then again, the OEM vinyl was the most expensive part (roughly $220). Since that isn't an option any more, I'd guess that good marine vinyl for a jump seat will run about $100 with one accent color. I've had a SN jump seat recovered with marine white and it ran me $75.

So with what you'll save on vinyl over my project, you're looking at roughly $200 to build one.

For reference, here's a picture of an OEM jumpseat out of a 94.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/94JumpSeatSidewebsized.jpg

Here's mine (or part of it ... bad picture).

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/PICT0121.jpg

lake
10-19-2006, 02:05 PM
Jeff,

Did you happen to buy this boat from someone in Ozark, Missouri? Is it blue and in excellent condition?

Just messing with you! Hope you enjoy your new boat, I sure did. Kirby

Jeff Lyman
10-21-2006, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the pics. of that seat, I've got a company that does interior work for me. They should be able to build one from that picture.
Kirby, it's going in today for the last time until around April. I told my wife a wet suit and new vest is in order for christmas this year. Make sure you call ahead if your coming this way next summer I will show you the most beautifull and clean lake in northern N.Y or at my home on the river will work for a couple of runs. Jeff

Ryan
10-21-2006, 09:46 AM
Has anyone ever used cover bowes to tighten the cover on these boats?

Mine had the bow brackets when I bought it, so I bought a fiberglass bow to fit. I was considering outside storage when I had the small single car garage in the alley.

I have only used it once in Montana and found it much quicker than the poles and straps. I haven't ever used the bow or even taken it out of the garage in a few years.