PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for USED 94 205

george111
10-18-2006, 09:22 PM
I bought a used 94 205 and need suggestionsfor maintenance items I should look for over the winter. The altenator has been replaced and the starter and selenoid will be rebuilt. I am looking for suggestions of things that should be checked or replaced over the winter so I can have a nice summer. I am not mechanicaly/ electricaly inclined, so I need a list for the marina.

The boat has about 400 hours, but is 12 years old.

Thanks for your advice.

George

milkmania
10-18-2006, 09:57 PM
I bought a used 94 205 and need suggestionsfor maintenance items I should look for over the winter. The altenator has been replaced and the starter and selenoid will be rebuilt. I am looking for suggestions of things that should be checked or replaced over the winter so I can have a nice summer. I am not mechanicaly/ electricaly inclined, so I need a list for the marina.

The boat has about 400 hours, but is 12 years old.

Thanks for your advice.

George

I'd want to make sure the guy rebuilding it is marine certified or at least building it to marine specs.

My local starter rebuilder has to pay extra insurance just to rebuild the things

:twocents:

Leroy
10-18-2006, 11:00 PM
I wouldn't go looking for trouble unless there is something going wrong, just normal winterization and wait for summer. That is not many hours.

Although with what you are saying I suspect there was water in the hull to get those components wet and your blower may have gotten wet also. It is a cheap replacement, but if it works.....

erkoehler
10-18-2006, 11:12 PM
I'd change all fluids, all filters, plugs/wires if the boat isn't running great.

In the spring, put in a new impellor...Have a great summer.

bret
10-19-2006, 06:52 AM
ask the PO if he has changed the distributor cap and rotor - along with the items that erkoehler suggested - plug wires, stick with Taylor. Last year, my friends 205, was having hard start issues when warm. When I pulled off the distributor cap, it was green up in there with corrosion. We replaced ALL of his ignition stuff - plugs, wires, cap, rotor, even the coil and ignition module. I set the timing with the little computer service module I have. The boat didn't miss a beat the end of last summer or this summer, ran flawless.