PDA

View Full Version : Ballast system for my '03 230VRS

Jerseydave
10-18-2006, 07:38 PM
I have a few questions on creating my own system. I'd like to use one sack in the ski locker (approx. 350-380 lbs.) and two sacs in the rear lockers (approx. 400-450 lbs. each)

a. What brand sacs would you recommend?
b. What type of pumps? I've heard there are some reversable pumps available, that way I would only need 3. Otherwise I guess I would need 6 pumps?

I plan on using the MC switches with wiring harness to operate the pumps.

P-hat_in_Cincy
10-18-2006, 09:55 PM
Bags: I really like the Fly High Pro X series bags. Very well constructed. I have them in the rear compartments and the bow. I have a custom sac in the locker b/c I got it before the Pro X stuff was mass produced. However, the Pro X locker bag wouldn't have maximized the available space, so I'm probably better off.

Pumps: # of different ways to do it. Reversible version tends to be Jabsco or Simer. Jabsco are pricey but ignition protected (can have them in area they might encounter gas fumes) and supposedly run-dry protected. I have Simers. They are not ignition protected nor run-dry protected, but are about 1/3 the cost. I used Simers on my install and they have performed great.

Any # of places for the switches, but you'll probably want to (at minimum) get the switch plates from a MC dealer so they match stock.

foilfactor
10-18-2006, 10:29 PM
njskier,

You may want to check out www.diytower.com I'm also looking into a ballast install and found alot of good info on there.

Brandon

erkoehler
10-18-2006, 10:32 PM
We frequently use the FLY HIGH PRO X SERIES bags, and they are awesome. Nice and thick, and will take a beating!

Let me know if I can help you out w/ the bags, we have all the different sizes instock. :)

P-hat_in_Cincy
10-19-2006, 08:36 AM
njskier,

You may want to check out www.diytower.com I'm also looking into a ballast install and found alot of good info on there.

Brandon

Brandon,
Thanks for that link. 1st time hearing about that site.
Here's a link to my install.

http://www.wakesiderides.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17225

Jerseydave
10-20-2006, 11:48 AM
Wow, lots of great info on those links......thanks!

Looks like FLY HIGH PRO-X bags are a good choice.

Jabsco pump(s) sound like the best.

I like the idea of a one pump system (reversable) tied into the boats' water intake hose with a 3-way manifold. No holes to drill in the boat.
One concern would be how fast will it fill the 3 bags?
Also, do I need to run vent hoses from the bags, or can I do without them?

I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible.

vogelm1
10-20-2006, 12:02 PM
Put a system in my 197 last season, identical to an X-7. My local dealer let me pull out the trunk deck and see how everything was plumbed. That was very helpful. I used the Jabsco pump with Pro-X rear seat sac. Bit of a job installing everything (and nerve wracking drilling thru-hulls) but it works great.

The Jabsco pump fills a rear seat sac in roughly 5 minutes. Bought switches to match the dash direct from MC dealer; rest was all ordered/bought from Overtons, West Marine, McMaster-Carr.

vogelm1
10-20-2006, 12:06 PM
I ran two vent lines for the bag, because I had heard that one is not enough to keep up with the pump filling the sac; and chance of rupturing the sac. I would think using vents is advantageous in getting max capacity in there without a big bubble of air -though I've heard of folks doing it both ways. All the MC's coming from the factory have multiple vents, so I took their lead and used a vented system.