PDA

View Full Version : 1978 trailer rebuild

cbryan70
10-18-2006, 04:05 PM
I purchased my boat a year ago and this summer, although a slow process have began to rubuild my trailer. Just a summary, when i purchased the boat there was only one guide on, makes it pretty tricky getting the boat on, then that guide on fell off! so no guide ons. Then instead of a V block to drive onto i had a 2 by 8 i believe so i couldnt just drive the boat up had to get it close, then jump out of the boat and position it becuase there were no guide ons. Also i had to basically sink the trailer in order to get the bow over the 2 by 8. Had to have at least one big guy lifting the bow with a person or two in the back of the SS's. Same thing when backing the boat off had to have someone LIFT the bow over the plank. Also the trailer did not have a winch. I will post a few pictures i have of the before trailer, not to pretty. So far i have put two new guide on's onto the trailer. Ive put a winch onto the trailer, new bunks, and a slap bar. Next is the V block. Also when i purchased the boat there was only about 50 pounds of toung weight. Had to bring the boat up about 8 inches on the trailer to correct this then made the slap bar accordingy. hope to post some pictures soon!

cbryan70
10-18-2006, 04:07 PM
here is a picture that i have as of now of the old trailer.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a76/cbryan70/mastercraftwholeboat.jpg

richardsoncd
10-18-2006, 04:28 PM
I have a 79, where did you get your trailer parts, and what was the cost....any advice, I plan to do the exact same thing. Thanks.

cbryan70
10-18-2006, 06:08 PM
Guide ones i bought a steel pipe believe it was about 20 bucks or so. 40 dollers for a new winch, had alot of steel given to me and had a few guys put it all together. Its always good to have friends who are really handy and have a welder! :) The V block was just made today and is going to be put on the trailer some time this week. We just took measurments off of another trailer and cut everything and welded together. The slap bar we had to have machined and bent.

cbryan70
10-18-2006, 06:10 PM
What lake is that dock it, looks like lake hartwell??

richardsoncd
10-19-2006, 09:26 AM
That one is on Lake Lanier, I just got permission to use a slip on Lake Rabun for next summer though. Lake Hartwell is really close though.

Slinkyredfoot
10-20-2006, 09:52 AM
I have a 79SS that I am restroring, I like your motor cover, how did you do that? Also, with little of no storage room in these boats, did you install a radio C/D? If so any ideas on where to locate one?
Steve

richardsoncd
10-20-2006, 10:39 AM
Thanks man...it is a 90's prostar engine cover...upholstered to match. I haven't put the stereo in yet, that is my winter project. I have a few ideas, the easiest being to mount it on the dash....which I want to avoid, the other is to mount a unit under the seat and run a remote and ipod to the dash....to keep it custom looking, but that would be pretty expensive.

cbryan70
10-20-2006, 04:03 PM
I have a sound system installed in mine as well. Instead of mounting a cd player i just installed an amp behind the observation seat and ran an rc wire from the amp to a jack for my ipod. All i have for a radio is my ipod. it sounds great and it allows you not to have a bulky radio on your dash

richardsoncd
10-23-2006, 11:30 AM
I have a sound system installed in mine as well. Instead of mounting a cd player i just installed an amp behind the observation seat and ran an rc wire from the amp to a jack for my ipod. All i have for a radio is my ipod. it sounds great and it allows you not to have a bulky radio on your dash

What type of RC wire, that is awesome...I'm going to steal your idea and call it my own. thx

cbryan70
10-23-2006, 02:52 PM
http://www.pcconnection.com/ProductDetail?sku=5348938&SourceID=k40132

somthing like this will work then you just need a strait stereo to stereo extension like lamens term example you have head phones and want to plug them in their stereo and they dont reach. Also i just bought mine at walmart for 5 bucks wanted to make sure it would work. no problems with it at all and no bulky cd player! hope you like it