PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on a wakeboard

Monte
10-18-2006, 03:27 PM
Good, bad, indifferent...
Client brought this by dropped it off while I was out of the office.. Just sold his MC to buy a set of dirt bikes... Left note says we'll talk $$$ when he can stop back by... what is your opinion??? what would you pay?? "The State 145" by Hyperlite.. Liquid Force "Alpha" bindings
Thanks in advance for the input

skeeler
10-18-2006, 03:44 PM
Good, bad, indifferent...
Client brought this by dropped it off while I was out of the office.. Just sold his MC to buy a set of dirt bikes... Left note says we'll talk $$$ when he can stop back by... what is your opinion??? what would you pay?? "The State 145" by Hyperlite.. Liquid Force "Alpha" bindings
Thanks in advance for the input

Not a bad board.....I don't know what your riding level is, but the nice thing about the "State" models is that they are actually set-up to make riding switch easier. The way the channels are set up on the bottom allows this. As far as price, couple hundred bucks maybe. I am not sure, haven't paid for one for awhile. :D

Monte
10-18-2006, 04:31 PM
Not a bad board.....I don't know what your riding level is, but the nice thing about the "State" models is that they are actually set-up to make riding switch easier. The way the channels are set up on the bottom allows this. As far as price, couple hundred bucks maybe. I am not sure, haven't paid for one for awhile. :D

Thanks.. the riding level here is recreational... but I do it every weekend.. can clear the wake, do a few grabs, but don't forsee flips in the near future..

Cary K.
10-18-2006, 05:01 PM
Skeeler, please correct me if I am wrong, for I am a wakeskater not a wakeboarder, but isn't the State setup for different toe and heel edges as opposed to the switch setup that was on the Murray(?).

Monte, everyone that I know with the Alpha bindings really likes them. Hard to go wrong there.

peason
10-18-2006, 05:08 PM
Monte, you may want to factor in if this client is going to give you more business in the future? You may not want to low ball him. I always find it best to see how much they want to get out of used item - sometimes you can get it for lower than you thought and that way if they want too much - it's out in the open and you won't offend him by offering too little.

Don't know what it's worth, but it looks like a decent board with nice bindings.

On wakeside website the 2007 model gets good reviews and the board runs $300.00 and bindings are $168.00.

Monte
10-18-2006, 05:29 PM
Monte, you may want to factor in if this client is going to give you more business in the future? You may not want to low ball him. I always find it best to see how much they want to get out of used item - sometimes you can get it for lower than you thought and that way if they want too much - it's out in the open and you won't offend him by offering too little.

Don't know what it's worth, but it looks like a decent board with nice bindings.

On wakeside website the 2007 model gets good reviews and the board runs $300.00 and bindings are $168.00.

Most likely will be dealing with him in the future... Wouldn't low ball him anyway, really just trying to make sure of the value factor. I really wish he would have left the amount he wants for it on the note.. I don't mind paying for it just don't want to pay more than its worth... But that is the great unknown..... Thanks for the input on the reviews and current pricing ...

Davo
10-18-2006, 05:50 PM
Good board and bindings.

I bought '05 Alphas new last fall (for my old lady) for $150 and you could buy that board new for probably $250.00 if you looked around.

It looks great from the pics...$200-$250 = friend price. $300 might be market value (e-bay). Of course, he might have paid $500 for that set-up new at the beginning of last year, barely used it and think it's worth $400...you never know.

Davo
10-18-2006, 05:53 PM
Does he drive a Honda or a Mercedes? ;)

RexDog1
10-18-2006, 07:14 PM
I road the State 145 only one time, it is a very stable board, good pop, but IMO It was slow, might have been because it was big for me, but a good board.:cool:

The alpha bindings are Comfortable I road them before I went to CWB hinge bindings, after having the hinge bindings I will never go back.:cool:

cbryan70
10-18-2006, 07:21 PM
I own the state 140 and im just a recreational ride, it is a very stable board and has decent pop. One of my buddies was doing scarecrows and tantrums on it behind my 1978 with NO wake or ballast or no flyhigh. I would say about 300 would be a good price for it.

Eagle
10-18-2006, 07:49 PM
A member of my crew just bought a new State 145 for $200 from the local wakeboard shop. Plus 06 Zeus bindings for $220. They had a package deal of the State plus good bindings (forget which ones) for $300. If you can get $300 for these you're doing well. Don't forget this is end of season and dealers are on closeout with great deals.

The State has asymmetric shape to make it easier to edge and ride toeside.

Doug G
10-19-2006, 12:40 AM
Best recommendation before buying a board is ride it first. Everyone likes things a little different. I was also thinking around $300 for the setup if it is in good shape. (Never rode a State or Alpha's but know alot of people talk goog about the Alphas

I switched to the CWB faction hinge's and my brother uses the Torq's. Will never go back to a binding without hinges.

bkhallpass
10-19-2006, 01:23 AM
See this website: http://wakeboarder.com/display.phtml?a=850.
There is a video with the designer of the board describing what he has done with the board.

Carey, you are correct. The board is designed to help with toeside edging. He has a different size and shape fin on heelside vs. toeside, and has shaped the rail differently each side.

My question would be how big are you? 145 is a lot of board. Unless you are very tall, over 220 lbs, or so, or both, I would think that's a very big board. BKH

Monte
10-19-2006, 09:53 AM
See this website: http://wakeboarder.com/display.phtml?a=850.
There is a video with the designer of the board describing what he has done with the board.

Carey, you are correct. The board is designed to help with toeside edging. He has a different size and shape fin on heelside vs. toeside, and has shaped the rail differently each side.

My question would be how big are you? 145 is a lot of board. Unless you are very tall, over 220 lbs, or so, or both, I would think that's a very big board. BKH

Thanks for that info... I'm 6'2 and weight 175... it may be too much board, but I may go ahead and buy it b/c my brother is 6'5 and weighs about 235, I'm really trying to get him into the sport and off the tubes.. D4AM baylinin buddies of his!!
Also thanks for all of the other input on it. Trying to make an educated decision and this is def helping.

Monte
10-19-2006, 01:52 PM

If this is the case what size board should I be using 6'2 175....

Cary K.
10-19-2006, 02:31 PM
It really is just a matter of preference, but generally speaking, too big is better than too small. My guess for your size is something like a 138-140, maybe even a 142.

Doug G
10-19-2006, 02:52 PM
The women are right .. size does matter ... :)

Size affects some of the handling characteristics. It is really very personal, how hard do you edge, do you want pop or distance, loose or tight, etc... how much does the weight affect your riding. The general spec is not always the right thing. For example, some people ride a very wide stance compared to the traditional width and swear by it ...

Here is a link that I found helpful in sorting through all of the technical differences in board design.

http://www.wakeside.com/page/W/CTGY/wakeboard_guide

Just like buying a boat a lot of people have great feedback but it is biased by their preference and opinion. That is why to me (and a lot of others) just like you wouldn't buy a boat without driving it and trying it, you shouldn't buy a board/bindings without riding it. Good proshops will let you demo boards before buying them.

kpgotgame
10-19-2006, 03:35 PM
Hey Monte

Brand new 145 State Board with brand new state bindings on ebay right now, buy it now price of $249 plus $39 to ship.
Item #330039981406

My opinion would be to get out and ride a few boards to feel what you like. However if this is not an option try going to wakeworld.com and check out their reviews - do a little reading - it is interesting and may lead you in one direction or another - plus they have pics of all the boards so you can check out the graphics.

I personally ride a 134 liquid force substance, and I am 170 pounds- bought it after reading the reviews - love the board and will buy the new model this year. I am at the high end of the weight capacity of this board but I love how light it is and how it handles. Because I already have the 134 my new one will be a 138.

The reviews of the boards have a rider weight category - you will be looking in the 137 -142 range. My opinion is that the 145 would be better suited for your brother.

You may be surprised how fast you progress - you might be doing inverts before you know it!

Good luck
Kris

Davo
10-19-2006, 04:01 PM
It really is just a matter of preference, but generally speaking, too big is better than too small. My guess for your size is something like a 138-140, maybe even a 142.
Never trust a wakeskater on what size wakeboard to ride. ;)

I think a 145 would be good for you...like Cary said it's a matter of preference and better too big than too small.

I'm 5'5" and 145lbs and rode a 138 Watson last weekend (sick board)...almost pearled the nose on a backroll, but otherwise loved it and it didn't really feel too big.

bkhallpass
10-19-2006, 05:14 PM

I'm no expert, but all of the comments are valid. Strength, stance, speed, ability to edge,etc. Lots of factors go into the perfect board. But given what you stated as your abilities, Cary's advice would probably be generally accepted.

Most of the pros are shorter guys, but many ride boards that are fairly long. They also go 26mph, have stomach muscles like Adonis, and no problem controlling the board.

If you have long legs, you may need a larger board than your weight dictates because your stance is wide.

If you are heavy, you can ride a short board, but you probably need to go faster. If you are light, you may have trouble getting a big board around on spins, or on inverted tricks.

FWIW (probably not much), I'm 6'2" and 220lbs. I've always ridden a 141 or 142. I can't do any inverts. I've found that this siZe board is comfortable for me for the jumps and spins I can do, and handles my stance and weight well at the 22 mph I prefer.

If I were you Monte, I'd probably try a 138, 140, 142, and see what you like. BKH

Monte
10-19-2006, 05:48 PM
I'm no expert, but all of the comments are valid. Strength, stance, speed, ability to edge,etc. Lots of factors go into the perfect board. But given what you stated as your abilities, Cary's advice would probably be generally accepted.

Most of the pros are shorter guys, but many ride boards that are fairly long. They also go 26mph, have stomach muscles like Adonis, and no problem controlling the board.

If you have long legs, you may need a larger board than your weight dictates because your stance is wide.

If you are heavy, you can ride a short board, but you probably need to go faster. If you are light, you may have trouble getting a big board around on spins, or on inverted tricks.

FWIW (probably not much), I'm 6'2" and 220lbs. I've always ridden a 141 or 142. I can't do any inverts. I've found that this siZe board is comfortable for me for the jumps and spins I can do, and handles my stance and weight well at the 22 mph I prefer.

If I were you Monte, I'd probably try a 138, 140, 142, and see what you like. BKH

Thanks! I ride a Blyerly 138 by hyperlyte now, and am very comfortable on it.. That just so happens to be what was on sale ($340 price tag pd $200)(blank) when I went shopping... Didn't really have anyone to ask b/c the guy that got me into Wakeboarding is on a fast trip down hill(bad bad drug+real real hooked+ tried to get me to partake when he started = haven't talked to him in over two years) I did ask the guy in the shop (he was 16) but often wondered if he laughed his arse off when I walked out the door. Probably why I didn't just offer that up... Good to know I made a good purchase there...
The 145 may be a little bigger than what I need with some of the info I have gotten here.. I'm not going to just say no to the State 145.. I may get it for my brother to ride, or any other tall ones who decide to take me up on riding... Thanks for all the input.. everyone... it has been very helpful... Still haven't heard from the seller though...

Monte
10-19-2006, 06:05 PM
Buck Fitty..... done deal..... Thanks for the help!!!! At least.... I'll have an X tra....

Davo
10-19-2006, 06:25 PM
Stole it...

Monte
10-19-2006, 06:32 PM
Stole it...

Good thing is... That was his number!!! No hagglin here at all:rolleyes:

Davo
10-19-2006, 09:16 PM
He must not drive a Honda.

kpgotgame
10-20-2006, 05:58 AM
I agree with Davo "stole it". Nice to hear that it did not get awkward.

:banana: