PDA

View Full Version : What to look for when buying a used hilo ?

boatless
10-18-2006, 01:08 PM
Hello everyone,
I am in a market for buying a used hi-lo run by propane. What should I be looking for when buying a used hi-lo ? Please send me as much info as possible.

Thanks,

boatless.

TMCNo1
10-18-2006, 01:22 PM
Hello everyone,
I am in a market for buying a used hilo run by propane. What should I be looking for when buying a used hilo ? Please send me as much info as possible.

Thanks,

boatless.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm, are you talking about a helicopter?:confused:

Maristar210
10-18-2006, 01:25 PM
Boatless

Sounds like you are getting ready to open your own facility for one reason or another to me. (container question)

I have purchased several propane gas powered forklifts over the years. I have had some money pit forklifts that I could no longer afford to maintain and then was forced to buy a new one.

You are assuming a risk in any used purchase, I would not recommened it simply because there are so many attractive lease packages with a dollar buy out you can do. My last purchase was a Yale 4000# with semi-pneumatic tires and the three stage mast. I purchased it for around $800 per month with a one dollar buy out at the end of 36 months. This is what I would recommend depeding upon what you need it for.

Lots of things to consider:

Necessary height reach ability?
Maximum lift requirement?
Surface condition (Inside Outside?)
Hours used per day/week/month?
Lifting requirements? (type of payload)
Warehouse / Yard?

Answer these questions and it will lead to a few more, answer those and your close.

I have an EXCELLENT contact in this business. Not a friend or anything like that just one of those guys that always take care of his customers I could not recommend him highly enough if you are in search of a contact.

Also... How did you make out with the container? Anything I can still help with?

Steve

H20skeefreek
10-18-2006, 01:26 PM
What?? I know I'm leaning a little bit Dobies here, but what the heck does this have to do with MasterCraft?

I'm finding that lately better than 50% of the talk on here isn't about skiing or boats, leaving a LOT of crapola to sift through to get to some skiing/boats stuff. There have been several times that I've posted valid questions on there about my MasterCraft, but no one that can answer my question reads it b/c it doesn't show up on the front page because we've got stuff about hilo's (what is that?) grills, wheels for trucks, constitutional law etc....it's good that I have a place I can talk to people about bribing public officials.

Maristar210
10-18-2006, 01:30 PM
What?? I know I'm leaning a little bit Dobies here, but what the heck does this have to do with MasterCraft?

I'm finding that lately better than 50% of the talk on here isn't about skiing or boats, leaving a LOT of crapola to sift through to get to some skiing/boats stuff. There have been several times that I've posted valid questions on there about my MasterCraft, but no one that can answer my question reads it b/c it doesn't show up on the front page because we've got stuff about hilo's (what is that?) grills, wheels for trucks, constitutional law etc....it's good that I have a place I can talk to people about bribing public officials.

That's why its in the off topic section. If you do not like it go to the general discussion section. That's where the boat related stuff is supposed to be.

Here we go again:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Upper Michigan Prostar190
10-18-2006, 01:38 PM
Agreed Staristar. The site is setup into appropriate sections for such content. general discussion or maintenance is the best place to ask technical questions about boats, while the "off topic" section is the place to talke about gas powered forklifts, computers, cell phones, wesley snipes tax return, grills, snowmobiles, Mag Mania, Freebird, and smokey and the bandit. I still think there should be a specified Mag Mania section here8p ;)

Maristar210
10-18-2006, 01:45 PM
I can see H2O's point but don't post your b*itch in the off-topic section. Post it in the General section where the RV type thread is...

Steve

Tryin-again
10-18-2006, 01:50 PM
Agreed Staristar. The site is setup into appropriate sections for such content. general discussion or maintenance is the best place to ask technical questions about boats, while the "off topic" section is the place to talke about gas powered forklifts, computers, cell phones, wesley snipes tax return, grills, snowmobiles, Mag Mania, Freebird, and smokey and the bandit. I still think there should be a specified Mag Mania section here8p ;)

I still cannot figure out where the Swimsuit thread should be posted..

Off Topic- naaa (they are the main topic)
Mastercraft-maybe
Maintenance - ??
--- Maybe we need a new catagory..... :D

TMCNo1
10-18-2006, 01:52 PM

OH MY GOD! I just spewed them microwave chinese noodles all over my monitor!
Earthquakes in my area and now I see this. What did I do wrong to bring the wrath of Gene into the cyberhood.
Gene, Gene, you and me gonna have a showdown yet! Is this a computer virus everyone talks about? :eek: :confused: :D

TMCNo1
10-18-2006, 01:58 PM
I'vegottakeepmygrandbabyforawhile,ifyouneedmeI'llb eatKFC,I'mgonebye!

H20skeefreek
10-18-2006, 01:59 PM
I can see H2O's point but don't post your b*itch in the off-topic section. Post it in the General section where the RV type thread is...

Steve
I really don't mean to bi#ch, and I see your point, but do most people when they are checking the board actually go into the catagories? I don't think so, I just check the front page of teamtalk and see if there is anything interesting there, and I'm sure this is what other people do.

It's just my opinion, but I think that even the off-topic section should SOMEWHAT relate to the general topic of MasterCraft like....Where should I go on vacation to ski? Or..... look at these pictures of sunken Malibus! Or...Look at this gator I saw while skiing.....See what I mean?

I just think that a lot of valid questions get skipped because of this other crap. I know that I've gone to post something before, like a maintenance question, and to post a new topic, you have to go to that catagory, and I've found threads there that I've never seen before, and I am on here EVERY day.

I mean, isn't there a message board about hi-los or green grills or rv's? a couple of threads are ok, like one marked clearly "random pictures" or "ebay crap". Maybe we should just make one thread that is random questions about non-skiing crap ie HiLos. What is that anyway, a fork lift? There is just too much crap to sort through.

I'm just commenting that this board could be better used for what it's intended for. I wonder how many worthwhile contributors we've scared away b/c they've posted a question or comment, and they've never gotten a response? I know that I have gotten pretty ticked off when I've posted a rather simple question and never get a response. The only reason that i'm probably still around is b/c of all of the help I got when I was shopping for a boat, then again, there were less than a hundred members then.

Sodar
10-18-2006, 02:06 PM
Sounds like you need to start using the "New Posts" link on the top. That way, it shows every posts that has been posted since you last logged on. That way you do not miss ANYTHING.... even if you have been gone for a week!!

Tom023
10-18-2006, 02:08 PM
I really don't mean to bi#ch, and I see your point, but do most people when they are checking the board actually go into the catagories? I don't think so, I just check the front page of teamtalk and see if there is anything interesting there, and I'm sure this is what other people do.

I think most do go into the categories, that's how you can get to the information you are seeking quickly and weed out the stuff you don't want to see. You should try it sometime, then you wouldn't be having a Gene Dobies moment.

LakePirate
10-18-2006, 02:10 PM
Sounds like you need to start using the "New Posts" link on the top. That way, it shows every posts that has been posted since you last logged on. That way you do not miss ANYTHING.... even if you have been gone for a week!!

I use this and find it most helpful.

However, if I jump online (tmc is my homepage) for something else (checking lack of money in bank) I lose all those posts and have to use the threads.

I try to read most everything. If you don't get a response bump the thread.

Tryin-again
10-18-2006, 02:12 PM
However, if I jump online (tmc is my homepage) for something else (checking lack of money in bank) I lose all those posts and have to use the threads.

Mine does it too- (looses post) - I figured that it was just my browser or something..

boatless
10-18-2006, 02:14 PM
H20,
I am sorry, I didn't mean to make you mad. :D I should word my title differently. Would it be OK if I say. Where can an MC owner be looking for a used forklifts ? The reason I chose this site to ask this question is because. Most MC owner seem to have a lot of money in their deep pocket. They have to get it from some where, and a perfect reason for that is some of the owner have their own business and sure enough they would have some info I need. In this case Maristare 210 has what I am looking for.

Do you ever think some day you might have the same opportunity like I have and are looking for the same info ? I have to admit, I have received a lot of info from the site including MC boat, people, hobbies, cars, women(ladies), and money.

boatless.

Sodar
10-18-2006, 02:14 PM
Just take TMC off as your home page and this issue will stop!

H20skeefreek
10-18-2006, 02:16 PM
But if I'm weeding out everything, and I'm interested in electrical only, but someone posts a question about "where should I take my family on vacation with my MC?" in off-topic, then I don't read it. But what if I have a private secluded ski lake to offer up for a few days for free? That person has missed out on a free vacation opportunity that I had to offer up just because I didn't want to read about something that I THINK is a forklift!

If I use the "new posts" button (which I use constantly) I still have to sift through crap about Rod, I mean about Rod renting an RV. You see, I'd like to miss the crap about buying horses and butt plugs and ping-pong paddles (those are all fictitious topics, but they wouldn't suprise me, well the butt plug one would).

ntidsl
10-18-2006, 02:18 PM
this is very interesting...i do hit the new post icon and yeah there is alot of stuff about pools, and vacations and what the heck is a hilo??? It can be frustrating when you want boat info and are inundated with 90% fluff...maybe there should be an icon "new posts about boating" that we could use and those who like to help people out on their hilos or pools or butt plugs...did he say butt plug... can click new posts...that would solve all problems...

H20skeefreek
10-18-2006, 02:18 PM
Boatless, I'm not really upset with you, I'm not really upset at all. People can post whatever they want, I'm not the post nazi (ETS is). I just think that there is an awful lot of clutter on here.

H20skeefreek
10-18-2006, 02:22 PM
H20,
I am sorry, I didn't mean to make you mad. :D I should word my title differently. Would it be OK if I say. Where can an MC owner be looking for a used forklifts ? The reason I chose this site to ask this question is because. Most MC owner seem to have a lot of money in their deep pocket. They have to get it from some where, and a perfect reason for that is some of the owner have their own business and sure enough they would have some info I need. In this case Maristare 210 has what I am looking for.

Do you ever think some day you might have the same opportunity like I have and are looking for the same info ? I have to admit, I have received a lot of info from the site including MC boat, people, hobbies, cars, women(ladies), and money.

boatless.
I hope the part about ladies was a joke, except for pictures of them. I don't know that MCTT is the best place to learn about ladies.

TMCNo1
10-18-2006, 02:31 PM
I hope the part about ladies was a joke, except for pictures of them. I don't know that MCTT is the best place to learn about ladies.

OK, Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm now I am lost, nevermind. Does anyone have a methane gas powered toaster, with a picture of a girl on it!:confused:

TMC
10-18-2006, 02:32 PM
I think this is a good time to let you all know that I do spend a lot of time moving threads around because guys will post anything anywhere. We love the fact so many people want to make this part of their online life and community however, with all the posts, there does have to be some order among the chaos! So my point? Please be sure to post in the right section when you start a thread. If it is about your:

MC - General Discussion
Skiing, Wakeboarding, etc - Watersports
Maintenance, DIY projects - Maintenance Tips / Refurbishing
Want to meet up with people - Find a Pull / Give a pull
Post random pictures or questions that have nothing to do with MC - Off Topic Discussion
Problems with TT - Team Talk Help
Something going near you - MasterCraft in your area
Etc.

Bottom line is it is not that hard to post to the appropriate thread - and H2O is right in that sense. It does make it easier to go through all the information and randomness found here if everything is in its rightful place.

(start heart-warming music) So come on guys - lets gather around this cause and fight hand in hand. Lets bring the misplaced children we call threads back to their rightful place on Team Talk. With focus, I believe we can do it - and the best part? At the end of the day, with a tear in our eye and a lump in our throat, we will all be able to quote that heralded philiosopher and 21st century genius, Ty Pennington, and say - "Welcome home, off topic thread, welcome home!"

LakePirate
10-18-2006, 02:36 PM
Just take TMC off as your home page and this issue will stop!

Yeah Right and wear out my favorites button instead of my home button. No Thanks. :D

H20skeefreek
10-18-2006, 02:39 PM
OK, Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm now I am lost, nevermind. Does anyone have a methane gas powered toaster, with a picture of a girl on it!:confused:
I was commenting on the fact that he said he learned a lot about ladies on here.

TMC, is there a way to not have Off-topic crap show up on the homepage? That would certainly fix my complaint (except for the people that post questions about pasties in the non-off topic catagory.)

6ballsisall
10-18-2006, 02:46 PM

Gene???? Is that you?????????:confused:

6ballsisall
10-18-2006, 02:48 PM
I think this is a good time to let you all know that I do spend a lot of time moving threads around because guys will post anything anywhere. We love the fact so many people want to make this part of their online life and community however, with all the posts, there does have to be some order among the chaos! So my point? Please be sure to post in the right section when you start a thread. If it is about your:

MC - General Discussion
Post random pictures or questions that have nothing to do with MC - Off Topic Discussion
Etc.

Bottom line is it is not that hard to post to the appropriate thread - and H2O is right in that sense. It does make it easier to go through all the information and randomness found here if everything is in its rightful place.

(start heart-warming music) So come on guys - lets gather around this cause and fight hand in hand. Lets bring the misplaced children we call threads back to their rightful place on Team Talk. With focus, I believe we can do it - and the best part? At the end of the day, with a tear in our eye and a lump in our throat, we will all be able to quote that heralded philiosopher and 21st century genius, Ty Pennington, and say - "Welcome home, off topic thread, welcome home!"

Can we all sing Kumbaya together too?? :D

Maristar210
10-18-2006, 03:01 PM

MC - General Discussion
Etc.

Great Boatless, See what you have done now?:)

Steve

east tx skier
10-18-2006, 03:16 PM
Boatless, I'm not really upset with you, I'm not really upset at all. People can post whatever they want, I'm not the post nazi (ETS is). I just think that there is an awful lot of clutter on here.

Beg your pardon? If anything, I'm the grammar nazi (and Assistant to the Traveling Secretary). You, sir, are officially the post nazi ... now (or as soon as TMC gets around to changing that tag) ;) And no, I don't need a poll, UMP. 8p

To be honest, I also recall fondly the days when off topic discussions didn't dominate. But I never have gone so far to say anything about it because I'd be afraid it'd make me sound like an old fart who remembers a time when the men were men and the sheep were nervous. And Harold really has that all sewn up. ;)

Yeah, it's clutter cluttered. But people seem to be, for the most part, posting in the correct folder (like TMC, I move them around, too, sometimes). So whattayagonnado?? :o

6ballsisall
10-18-2006, 03:19 PM
Can't we all just hug here? CLEARLY there is a reason the off topic threads are increasing........................:rolleyes:

END OF THE SEASON for alot of us..................:(

Tryin-again
10-18-2006, 03:22 PM
Can't we all just hug here? CLEARLY there is a reason the off topic threads are increasing........................:rolleyes:

Where do we post a Swimsuit thread? Wait can we?...do we already?

I am so confused - (I think I need a beer) :D

6ballsisall
10-18-2006, 03:23 PM
Where do we post a Swimsuit thread? Wait can we?...do we already?

I am so confused - (I think I need a beer) :D

UMP we need a Poll as to whether Tryin should have a beer or not. MAKE SURE it goes in the "off topic" area...........:rolleyes:

10-18-2006, 03:26 PM
Did someone say we needed a poll conducted here??:confused:

I dont see anyone huggin Jr......

Tryin-again
10-18-2006, 03:26 PM
UMP we need a Poll as to whether Tryin should have a beer or not. MAKE SURE it goes in the "off topic" area...........:rolleyes:

Too late! - But we can have a poll about the rest of the 6 pack --- as long as we're fast about it..

10-18-2006, 03:27 PM
Well gents, I am officially on lunch break, I will check in later.....:D

6ballsisall
10-18-2006, 03:28 PM
Did someone say we needed a poll conducted here??:confused:

I dont see anyone huggin Jr......

sniffle sniffle.........no hug for Post Hoe JR?????????? :(

Tryin-again
10-18-2006, 03:30 PM
This thread can be officially declared - threadjacked!! :D

LakePirate
10-18-2006, 03:31 PM

I think there is another reason.

There is so much information on here that with a 5 minute search you can find what you are looking for. The addition of the FAQ thread has eliminated many threads that we all could help out on. Unless someone is really new or lazy nothing comes up that the masses can handle. Most everything engine related is handled by the experts. JRandol (ski 'em and Flee 'em) is boatless, ERK works at the dealer, I don't have any money to fix anything, most everyone else has no issues or none that we can help with. However, we all want to enjoy the camaraderie that has made this site a success. Without all of the tomfoolery I don't think there would be any Mag Manias or other get togethers. Who wants to go and spend a weekend talking about electronic ignitions vs. points? Just my opinion and I know, everybody has one.

boatless
10-18-2006, 03:50 PM
Sorry everyone,

I meant hi-lo/forklift. :D

boatless.

TMCNo1
10-18-2006, 04:23 PM
I was commenting on the fact that he said he learned a lot about ladies on here.

The kids at school will be excited to know they have a new way to learn about the ladies!:D

TMCNo1
10-18-2006, 04:41 PM
Beg your pardon? If anything, I'm the grammar nazi (and Assistant to the Traveling Secretary). You, sir, are officially the post nazi ... now (or as soon as TMC gets around to changing that tag) ;) And no, I don't need a poll, UMP. 8p

To be honest, I also recall fondly the days when off topic discussions didn't dominate. But I never have gone so far to say anything about it because I'd be afraid it'd make me sound like an old fart who remembers a time when the men were men and the sheep were nervous. And Harold really has that all sewn up. ;)

Yeah, it's clutter cluttered. But people seem to be, for the most part, posting in the correct folder (like TMC, I move them around, too, sometimes). So whattayagonnado?? :o

I'm scared now! Harold and sheep? Thought that was Bob! Nevermind, I still need to know about the toaster, but it can wait till next Spring when everyone is at Ski School.

10-18-2006, 04:58 PM
I think there is another reason.

There is so much information on here that with a 5 minute search you can find what you are looking for. The addition of the FAQ thread has eliminated many threads that we all could help out on. Unless someone is really new or lazy nothing comes up that the masses can handle. Most everything engine related is handled by the experts. JRandol (ski 'em and Flee 'em) is boatless, ERK works at the dealer, I don't have any money to fix anything, most everyone else has no issues or none that we can help with. However, we all want to enjoy the camaraderie that has made this site a success. Without all of the tomfoolery I don't think there would be any Mag Manias or other get togethers. Who wants to go and spend a weekend talking about electronic ignitions vs. points? Just my opinion and I know, everybody has one.

Well MR. LakePirate, I for one am attending the weekend long international debate of "eletronic ignition vs. points" in Geneva, Switzerland in 2009 hosted by the "International Brotherhood of Older Inboard Ski Boats" (IBOISB), so speak for yourself on that. in fact Ric informed me today that I was in charge of a group buy on points for people who wanted to go retro.

LakePirate
10-18-2006, 05:10 PM
Well MR. LakePirate, I for one am attending the weekend long international debate of "eletronic ignition vs. points" in Geneva, Switzerland in 2009 hosted by the "International Brotherhood of Older Inboard Ski Boats" (IBOISB), so speak for yourself on that. in fact Ric informed me today that I was in charge of a group buy on points for people who wanted to go retro.

I don't guess skidim will have a booth selling electronic ignition kits.

boatless
10-18-2006, 05:18 PM
TMC,

I really didn't mean it that way, honest !

boatless.

10-18-2006, 05:33 PM
I don't guess skidim will have a booth selling electronic ignition kits.
they may, but Ric has the market cornered on points, so he says. he told me he had the hook up for points on ski boats.....8p havent you heard? Retro is IN baby! right down to the point ignitions!

River Rat
10-18-2006, 09:38 PM
I enjoy reading about 80% of what is posted on here. If I run across something I don't like I move on! It's that simple. If you don't know what a hi-lo or he low or what ever, he must not have been talking to you. I read this just to be nosy, and was surprised at hate that came out of it. I would hope that if i ever decided to ask my MC buddies for some input on an off topic subject that I would not get hammered for my trouble. :(

And I know almost nothing about Used tow motors except the older they get the more they break! We have allot at work.

H20skeefreek
10-18-2006, 09:43 PM
I don't "HATE" anything. I'm sorry I made a comment. I was simply stating my opinion, pointing out that the website could be a little more usefull if it wasn't so saturated with way off topic threads.

TMCNo1
10-18-2006, 10:12 PM
If you don't know what a hi-lo or he low or what ever, he must not have been talking to you.

If you will read the gentleman's thread he originally said hilo, not hi-lo fork lifts that he later cleared up. I may have had a answer for him too, but.........................................?