PDA

View Full Version : towing with highlander

dgoulet
10-17-2006, 11:08 PM
I am about to buy a 94 prostar 205 with tower and since I only have a two door car, I will have to tow it with my parents v6 highlander. I read somewhere that the boat weights in at 2550 pounds, but I have no clue what the total weight will be with tower and trailer included. The towing capacity on my parents highlander is 3850, do you guys think that I will have problems towing the boat?

6ballsisall
10-17-2006, 11:10 PM
It won't last long if you do.......If it was short trips (read a few miles) then you'd be ok........

dmayer84
10-17-2006, 11:18 PM
I am about to buy a 94 prostar 205 with tower and since I only have a two door car, I will have to tow it with my parents v6 highlander. I read somewhere that the boat weights in at 2550 pounds, but I have no clue what the total weight will be with tower and trailer included. The towing capacity on my parents highlander is 3850, do you guys think that I will have problems towing the boat?

Go and rent a car if you have to. I was using my Dad's 4Runner to tow my X10 and it barely did the job, basically struggled the whole time. I was just hoping that I didnt have to stop on a hill, I did once and ended up having to put it in low range to get up the hill. Im pretty sure that a Highlander only has a class 2 hitch and you will need a class 3 to tow this boat.

Masternorth
10-18-2006, 12:04 AM
I own a 1994 Prostar 205 and I tow it with my Toyota Sequoia. It goes up hills without a problem but most importantly, I feel safe going down hills and be able to brake and stay in control if a deer jumps in front of the truck:eek: . I would not feel safe with a Highlander simply because it is not heavy enough to counter-weight the load of the boat (don`t forget the added weight of tower and gear). Gasoline is not cheap but there is no substitute to V8 power!

Whatever you decide, make sure the brakes on your trailer are functional or the brakes on the truck will not last long.

Good luck!

Archimedes
10-18-2006, 01:57 AM

No way, don't even try it. That boat fueled, with a tower, is probably around 3,000 lbs. and your trailer is between 800 and 1100 depending on # of axles. I would never trailer close to the total capacity of the truck. Plus if you're loading up the car with people and gear, you're probably exceeding the GCVWR of the truck.

It's not just the motor, it's the wheelbase, the brakes, the tranny cooler, etc.

ntidsl
10-18-2006, 08:22 AM
I wouldnt even try it....I use my xtrerra to tow my 197 to my lake 100 feet away and can feel the boat...with a highland and a bigger boat good gosh...that boat will take you right off the road...scary...scary...scary...

now that being said...I tow the 197 with my 4 runner 2005 with v8 and I feel totally comfortable...it runs about 2200 rpms up and down hills with OD off...I love it...I thought I'd feel unsafe but I don't at all...

School Skier
10-18-2006, 10:19 AM
We have a Highlander and I wouldn't even think of towing my 190 with it. We have a Tundra for that, no problems towing.