PDA

View Full Version : Tire rubbing on trailer

lake
10-17-2006, 01:21 PM
I just bought a 2002 PS 209 on a single axle MC trailer. The left tire has rubbed on the trailer fender. There is barely enough room to get your finger between the tire and the fender. The tire looks ok but you can tell where it has rubbed. Any of you experience this? Is there a fix or do you just live with it?

causewayskiier
10-17-2006, 01:36 PM
I had the same problem with my 92 PS205 and also had a problem with the prop guard scrubbing the pavement when I went out my driveway. I ended up modifying my trailor by getting heavier leaf springs put in and a 3 inch metal block installed between the springs and the axle. It lifted my trailor quite a bit, I no longer have tire scrub or prop guard scrub. You could possibly go with a 2 inch block, because now I have quite a bit of clearance between tire and fender well.

Ric
10-17-2006, 01:37 PM
I just bought a 2002 PS 209 on a single axle MC trailer. The left tire has rubbed on the trailer fender. There is barely enough room to get your finger between the tire and the fender. The tire looks ok but you can tell where it has rubbed. Any of you experience this? Is there a fix or do you just live with it? There was a leaf spring recall on some mc trailers.... I thought it ended in 01 but you may want to ask your dealer or mc customer support for details

The leaf spring on the right hand side of my 2000 mc trailer actaully broke one of the leaves and completely buried the axle into the fender at 40mph one day (thank God it wasn't 70mph)

Diesel
10-17-2006, 01:38 PM
I believe there was a recall. Check with your MC dealer or search here. You might also search the forum over at www.mymastercraft.com. Mike has all the recalls posted.

edit: too damn slow, ric sure knows his trailers.

Ric
10-17-2006, 01:44 PM
wanna hear about my mc trailer history? :rant:

Tryin-again
10-17-2006, 01:47 PM
wanna hear about my mc trailer history? :rant:

Is this gonna be like a bedtime story? So I'll have sweet dreams and such? Please tell us!!!!! Please, Please! :D

casx2
10-17-2006, 01:49 PM
There was a recall on 02 trailers. I had the same problem and the dealer replaced the axle with a new one.

DanC
10-17-2006, 02:37 PM
The 2002 will have a torsion bar axle, not leaf springs.
But as Ric and Diesel said, there were some bad torsion bars produced in about 2002, used on several brands of trailers including MC and SBT. The is no repairing it, the axle must be replaced. Check the link Diesel gave you, check in the forums under Recalls and Service Bulletins.

2002 trailers
UFP bulletin #02-UFPSB001 If any trailer has significantly less (more than 1") fender clearance when compared to the other trailer tire(s) the axle must be replaced.

Take this number to your dealer (have had dealers either not know about these things or play dumb).

This was a service bulletin, not a recall, so you may run into a debate about coverage 4 years later.

6ballsisall
10-17-2006, 02:39 PM
wanna hear about my mc trailer history?

Ric LOVES MC trailers. :D

Ric I think there is a text limit you will exceed if you tell all your trailer history. :rolleyes: :D

BTW, whats the latest word on your "new" trailer?? :confused:

Ric
10-17-2006, 02:49 PM
mc is building me a new one supposedly this week. Engineering is reportedly getting involved when the trailer is in the shop being built... Stay tuned - as they say

jimmer2880
10-18-2006, 06:46 AM
I had the same problem with my 92 PS205 and also had a problem with the prop guard scrubbing the pavement when I went out my driveway. I ended up modifying my trailor by getting heavier leaf springs put in and a 3 inch metal block installed between the springs and the axle. It lifted my trailor quite a bit, I no longer have tire scrub or prop guard scrub. You could possibly go with a 2 inch block, because now I have quite a bit of clearance between tire and fender well.

I have the same problem. But - my tires are wearing un-evenely, so instead of putting a lift-kit in I'm going to replace the factory drop-axle (spindles are welded on top of the box tubing) with a straight axle, which should lift my rig by ~2 inches. It'll only cost me $120.00 for the new axle.

jkski
10-18-2006, 09:31 AM
I admittedly do not know a lot about the torsion axle system, however, I did have the problem you describe on my 02 trailer for a PS197. I ended up taking it in to my dealer and they were able to adjust the axle so that I had more clearance and it was fine after that.

DanC
10-18-2006, 04:32 PM
I admittedly do not know a lot about the torsion axle system, however, I did have the problem you describe on my 02 trailer for a PS197. I ended up taking it in to my dealer and they were able to adjust the axle so that I had more clearance and it was fine after that.

That doesn't sound good to me. If your torsion bar has moved up (tire has moved closer to your fender) then the rubber between the axle tube and the torsion bar has aged/broken down. The picture below doesn't show it but you can adjust the torsion bar back down by pulling out a bolt and rotating the whole assembly to another mounting hole(sounds like what the dealer did) but that doesn't change the cause of the "drop". Namely the torsion rubber is failing. It's only a matter of time before your axle fails completely.

This picture is not the MC model axle but gives you an idea of what a torsion axle looks like.

mooseski
10-19-2006, 12:38 AM
I had the same problem. I have a 2003 209 that I bought new in 2003. I noticed tire wear, on both sides just below the tread on the outside wall, about 1 month after purchase. MC told the dealer that the new axle manufacture, Reliance, had a slightly different clearance on the fenders than the prior manufacturer. The solution at the time was, get this, "trim the fenders."

Look up Lug Problems and feast your eyes on some additional great news about the MC trailers from this era.

atlfootr
10-19-2006, 09:47 AM
I believe there was a recall. Check with your MC dealer or search here. You might also search the forum over at www.mymastercraft.com (http://www.mymastercraft.com)

Mike has all the recalls posted.
edit: too damn slow, ric sure knows his trailers.Attempted to follow this link, :rolleyes:
There isn't a Mastercraft Dealer Site Configured on this URL.

DanC
10-19-2006, 12:23 PM
Attempted to follow this link, :rolleyes:
There isn't a Mastercraft Dealer Site Configured on this URL.

take out the www

lake
10-20-2006, 02:24 PM
Very good news to report. I've been in contact with the warranty manager at UFP. I gave him the trailer VIN and the axle number. While we were on the phone he gave me the history on this trailer. He showed it was built in 02 and had a faulty axle. Then in March of 03 it had a replacement axle put in. The problem is that the replacement was also bad. He could tell this by the axle number. I said "where does that leave us"? He didnt even flinch and said I'll just ship you a new one.

Granted, I have to paint it and install it myself but I consider that a victory given the trailer is now two years out of warranty. With a little muscle and the right tools it shouldn't be too bad to change out. I'll consider it a good excuse to get the boat back out of storage and in my garage.

Its refreshing to see a company like UFP step up and do the right thing.

lake
11-09-2006, 02:40 PM
Update. The new axle arrived early last week. I spent the week priming and painting it. The whole swap took about 2 hours start to finish last Saturday. I've got the trailing arms adjusted correctly so theres plenty of clearance between the tire and the fender. This is the third axle under this trailer so I'm crossing my fingers that its a good one.

I'm glad the job is done but I'm kind of bummed out since I no longer have any excuses to get the boat out of storage until March.

Sodar
11-09-2006, 02:47 PM
Just curious, when they sent you a new axle, did they send it complete with hubs, bearings, bearing buddies, discs and calipers or did you have to rip them off the old axle and install? The reason I ask is that I have seen axles shipped both ways and I was wondering if they hooked you up with new components for the trouble of 2 faulty axles....

lake
11-09-2006, 02:57 PM
Just a bare axle with no parts. I had to use my trailing arms, brakes, etc. We had to pull the parts and transfer to the new axle.

Jeff Lyman
11-09-2006, 09:25 PM
Lake, thought I drop you a note your old baby is all tucked away for a long winters nap. Good luck with that new axle.

Jeff

lake
11-10-2006, 01:45 AM
Jeff,

I'm not a pro at posting pics so here goes. Let me know if this doesnt work. Hopefully these will help get you through the winter. Three good pics of the 205 and one of my new 209. KM

Boat Pictures 029

Boat Pictures 035

Boat Pictures 001

Boat Pictures 014

lake
11-10-2006, 01:47 AM
Crap! Ok, that obviously didnt work.

lake
11-10-2006, 01:50 AM
Boat Pictures 014

lake
11-10-2006, 01:51 AM
Boat Pictures 014

lake
11-10-2006, 01:54 AM
I'm obviously too tired to put a coherent thought together. I'll try later.

Jeff Lyman
11-11-2006, 12:31 PM
Lake thanks for the pics I added them to my site, Its easy, Get the photo your going to use in a document and save it (name it). On this site go to the usercp. go down to photo section and click brows then open of the photo you want and save it at the bottom. I also did a avatar section and click on custom then brows again and open photo and save. I dont know which of these displays the picture hear but it worked. Big red looks good.

jimmer2880
11-13-2006, 07:24 AM
Glad to hear MC stepped up to the plate.