PDA

View Full Version : Mobil 1 vs. conventional oil (Car)

mitch
10-17-2006, 10:14 AM
After putting my Caliber on a pair of ramps, and seeing super easy access to the filter and drain plug, I've decided to start changing my oil and filter myself again, and was thinking about synthetic. Car has 10K on it now and I do 40K+/- a year. Seems to be several version of Mobile one. Manual recommends SAE 5W20. Also states that no matter what oil change intervals should not exceed 6 months or 6k miles Thoughts? Advantages/disadvantages to going mobile one? Thanks much for any help!

bigmac
10-17-2006, 10:18 AM
After putting my Caliber on a pair of ramps, and seeing super easy access to the filter and drain plug, I've decided to start changing my oil and filter myself again, and was thinking about synthetic. Car has 10K on it now and I do 40K+/- a year. Seems to be several version of Mobile one. Manual recommends SAE 5W20. Also states that no matter what oil change intervals should not exceed 6 months or 6k miles Thoughts? Advantages/disadvantages to going mobile one? Thanks much for any help!

You'll probably get better cold starting in the winter with a synthetic oil. Other than that, no advantage if you follow the mfgr's recommendations re: change intervals.

Maristar210
10-17-2006, 12:23 PM
Mitch,

I change (spill) my own oil as well. However I do not enjoy it so I use Mobil 1 15,000 mile oil. Fifteen minutes later I'm done and have saved myself the pain of scheduling and paying for an appointment or waiting in line for some high school dropout crack head to change it.

Steve

Datdude
10-17-2006, 12:35 PM
Mitch,

I change (spill) my own oil as well. However I do not enjoy it so I use Mobil 1 15,000 mile oil. Fifteen minutes later I'm done and have saved myself the pain of scheduling and paying for an appointment or waiting in line for some high school dropout crack head to change it.

Steve

How much more is the 15,000 mile oil vs. regular oil?

Maristar210
10-17-2006, 12:43 PM
How much more is the 15,000 mile oil vs. regular oil?

About double if I recall correctly. I was more focused upon not having to change it as often.

bigmac
10-17-2006, 12:57 PM
The basis for extended drain intervals with synthetic is that they don't use much, if any, viscosity index improver, therefore are pretty much immune to oil breakdown and viscosity changes from shear. The difference in shear stability between group III (synthetic) base stocks and group II base stock like most current high quality oil heavy-duty oils is not very great - the "extended life" stuff that synthetics advertise is basically just marketing. In the meantime, both types of oils accumulate soot, acids, and all the other harmful combustion by-products and that stuff just sits there in your engine, only for 15,000 miles instead of 6,000 miles. Synthetic provides no more protection against that stuff than any other oil.

Marketing...those oil companies are great at it.

Maristar210
10-17-2006, 01:08 PM
The basis for extended drain intervals with synthetic is that they don't use much, if any, viscosity index improver, therefore are pretty much immune to oil breakdown and viscosity changes from shear. The difference in shear stability between group III (synthetic) base stocks and group II base stock like most current high quality oil heavy-duty oils is not very great - the "extended life" stuff that synthetics advertise is basically just marketing. In the meantime, both types of oils accumulate soot, acids, and all the other harmful combustion by-products and that stuff just sits there in your engine, only for 15,000 miles instead of 6,000 miles. Synthetic provides no more protection against that stuff than any other oil.

Marketing...those oil companies are great at it.

And on the weekends I tell NASA what the hell they're doing wrong !!Bigmac is a walking encylopedia of knowledge. They guy flat out floors me. From getting your junk sawed on, oil viscosity and thermal barrier protection, he's the faShizzle.

bigmac
10-17-2006, 01:23 PM
And on the weekends I tell NASA what the hell they're doing wrong !!Bigmac is a walking encylopedia of knowledge. They guy flat out floors me. From getting your junk sawed on, oil viscosity and thermal barrier protection, he's the faShizzle.My entire family is in the oil business, or was until my cousins recently sold off the whole shootin' match and retired. Petroleum chemistry was dinner table conversation as I was growing up, and I spent many summers in the lab doing the grunt work for oil and anti-freeze forumulation and used-oil testing, not to mention getting coffee for the petroleum chemists. Interesting work, but I had more altruistic ideals for my own career, and broke from the family. That educational path was where I learned about vasectomies.

At least you're talking to NASA - they don't even return my calls...

Maristar210
10-17-2006, 03:15 PM
My entire family is in the oil business, or was until my cousins recently sold off the whole shootin' match and retired. Petroleum chemistry was dinner table conversation as I was growing up, and I spent many summers in the lab doing the grunt work for oil and anti-freeze forumulation and used-oil testing, not to mention getting coffee for the petroleum chemists. Interesting work, but I had more altruistic ideals for my own career, and broke from the family. That educational path was where I learned about vasectomies.

At least you're talking to NASA - they don't even return my calls...

Bigmac

The I tell NASA part was supposed to be in quotes like you said it. You get my meaning? LOL

mitch
10-17-2006, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the reply's guys, After reading Mac's I'm staying conventional.

bigmac
10-17-2006, 03:55 PM
Bigmac

The I tell NASA part was supposed to be in quotes like you said it. You get my meaning? LOL

I know, I forgot the smilie in my reply...

Hoosier Bob
10-17-2006, 08:10 PM
I will say the difference would be that synthetic appears to be much less effected by temperature changes. It reacts quicker when cold and does not thin when hot. I would never run anything that lasted 15,000 miles unless I was only running it for 5,000 miles. Too many other things can go wrong that could alter the condition of the oil. dirty envirinment, blowby, temperature changes (moisture/metal) and other things can contaminate perfectly good oil. The 3K dino change would allow less time for these contaminates to adversely affect your oil. Viscosity at 15k may be better but not if it is full of dirt. I'll wait until Leroy posts regarding his Toyota that has never had an oil change at 127k miles! Note to self, do not buy Leroy's boat!8p
I run synthetic as catastrophic coverage, nothing more or less.;)

Farmer Ted
10-17-2006, 09:02 PM
[QUOTE=Hoosier Bob] I'll wait until Leroy posts regarding his Toyota that has never had an oil change at 127k miles!QUOTE]

what the?

if it stops leaking it's time to reservice?

Hoosier Bob
10-17-2006, 09:09 PM
Not only has Leroy saved thousands he has eliminated the DIPSTICK all together!
Brillant!

mitch
10-17-2006, 09:48 PM
Changed it tonight, Castrol GTX. Easy, but still a PITA:D

Hoosier Bob
10-17-2006, 10:03 PM
Big Castrol fan when I raced dirt bikes! never had an issue! PITA, yes!

mitch
10-17-2006, 10:17 PM
I like Castrol too and my friends at Walmart have it in a 5 qt jug, nice. Remember jamming that frieking metal spout into the oil cans. Major PITA :)

Leroy
10-17-2006, 10:20 PM
Now BOB! That was years ago, I just finished taking out the oil in my boat after 40 hours and get my cars changed between 7-10k miles.

FOr the past 20 years that has been my pattern, my dad on the other hand had a philosophy of no oil change, just change the engine when it dies! Financially he did come out ahead....

Leroy
10-17-2006, 10:22 PM
I want my car to be made with the hood sealed shut! I could care less to go under there in it!

Not only has Leroy saved thousands he has eliminated the DIPSTICK all together!
Brillant!

Maristar210
10-18-2006, 12:04 AM
I will say the difference would be that synthetic appears to be much less effected by temperature changes. It reacts quicker when cold and does not thin when hot. I would never run anything that lasted 15,000 miles unless I was only running it for 5,000 miles. Too many other things can go wrong that could alter the condition of the oil. dirty envirinment, blowby, temperature changes (moisture/metal) and other things can contaminate perfectly good oil. The 3K dino change would allow less time for these contaminates to adversely affect your oil. Viscosity at 15k may be better but not if it is full of dirt. I'll wait until Leroy posts regarding his Toyota that has never had an oil change at 127k miles! Note to self, do not buy Leroy's boat!8p
I run synthetic as catastrophic coverage, nothing more or less.;)

Leased GMC Truck. LIGAF Bob?

Peace out Steve

Workin' 4 Toys
10-18-2006, 11:48 AM
Big Castrol fan when I raced dirt bikes! never had an issue! PITA, yes!
I have Castrol around because I support the John Force "TEAM"....;)

LakePirate
10-18-2006, 12:03 PM
My .02

Had to use Pennzoil synthetic oil change before last, 1st one not Mobile 1 Synthetic in 4 years. Engine didn't like it. Started making unusual sounds espically at high rpms. Back to Mobile 1 and no problems.