PDA

View Full Version : 94 PS Cracked switch plate

Pete
10-17-2006, 10:07 AM
My switch plate (to the right of steering wheel) is cracked and all the corner plastic has broken from the torque of the screws. Also one of the screws on my instrument panel pulled through. A poor design of not using any washers to prevent this type of problem.

I came up with some black plastic washers that fit perfectly and look very factory. I modified some automotive plastic fasteners (also known as christmas trees) with very little effort. The fasteners are made by Au-Ve-Co part number 14991. Go to www.auveco.com to find a distributor in your area, they come in a box of 25 and will probably cost less than $10.

This solution not only holds my switch plate and instrument panel in properly, it also covered up most of my cracked corners. My switch plate is no longer available through MC so this solution is a cheap, easy, attractive way to solve the problem. I will try to get some pic's posted of the repair, meanwhile if you have any questions, send me an email. I hope others with this approximate vintage MC can benefit from my solution.

Pete

jake
10-17-2006, 10:44 AM
have similiar issues, interested in pics if you can post some.

jimmer2880
10-18-2006, 06:36 AM
I agree with Pete - I'd love to see some pic's. I think I know what you are talking about, but want to be 100%.

Pete
10-19-2006, 01:31 PM
Hey guys-
I will try to get some pic's taken today and post them tomorrow. Meanwhile on this site go to: Technical, then Maintanence and Refurbishing. Click on Appearance, then scroll down to "Switch Panel-JR". There is a posting with pic's for this problem that is similar to what I did.
This is a great site, I have received a lot of info and help.