PDA

View Full Version : Tapping Into Nav Light Power Wire?

Archimedes
10-17-2006, 12:46 AM
I'm trying to tap splice my stereo remote backlight power wire into the nav power wire and I'm trying to make sure I've got the right wire on my 06 X1. I can't get in there to track the wire all the way to the bow light, but I do see a set of black and orange wires heading that way on along the front starboard side in a conduit. I know this isn't much, but anyone know if that's my nav lights? I'm assuming that my speaker wire is routed the other way through the bow, so I'm not sure what else it could be.

I'm assuming I could just hook a meter up to the orange power wire and then toggle the switch to tell, right? Sorry, I'm a total noob when it comes to electrical stuff.

One other dumb question. This power wire calls for a .5 amp inline fuse. Does that sound right? Seems light to me.

TMCNo1
10-17-2006, 12:22 PM
If that is the only set of coated colored wires going forward in conduit that should be the bowlight feed. Just follow it back to the dash as far close and you can and tie into them there. I assume you are wanting to wire to it to have light on the remote after dark?

Tryin-again
10-17-2006, 12:27 PM
I'm trying to tap splice my stereo remote backlight power wire into the nav power wire and I'm trying to make sure I've got the right wire on my 06 X1. I can't get in there to track the wire all the way to the bow light, but I do see a set of black and orange wires heading that way on along the front starboard side in a conduit. I know this isn't much, but anyone know if that's my nav lights? I'm assuming that my speaker wire is routed the other way through the bow, so I'm not sure what else it could be.

I'm assuming I could just hook a meter up to the orange power wire and then toggle the switch to tell, right? Sorry, I'm a total noob when it comes to electrical stuff.

One other dumb question. This power wire calls for a .5 amp inline fuse. Does that sound right? Seems light to me.

Get a test light - (looks like an ice pick but has a bulb in it) stick it in those wires and when you turn your lights on it should glow..

Archimedes
10-17-2006, 12:28 PM
Yup, it's the backlighting on the remote buttons. Only need it after dark.

Why do you say go back close to the dash. I was just going to tap in up along the wall, as it's the most convenient spot. I was going to go in just after the fuse on the bow wires. Sound good?

Archimedes
10-17-2006, 12:29 PM
Get a test light - (looks like an ice pick but has a bulb in it) stick it in those wires and when you turn your lights on it should glow..

Now here's a really dumb question. Do I need to break the shielding on the wire with one of those things, or just touch the outside of the insulation?

Tryin-again
10-17-2006, 12:30 PM
Now here's a really dumb question. Do I need to break the shielding on the wire with one of those things, or just touch the outside of the insulation?

Stick it through the insulation.. Into the copper.....

trickskier
10-17-2006, 12:36 PM

You will have to go through the shielding. Also, use the Neg side of your battery for a ground.

vogelm1
10-17-2006, 12:37 PM

Yep, stick through the insulation till you hit copper wire...be sure the little "alligator clip" on the other end of the test light has a good metal ground or it won't light either way.

Archimedes
10-17-2006, 12:44 PM
Thanks much. Gonna wire it up tonight.

Then all I left is to solder in the deutsch connectors on my tower lights and my stereo/light project is done. Time to actually spend some time using the boat instead of working on it...

TMCNo1
10-17-2006, 01:00 PM
Yup, it's the backlighting on the remote buttons. Only need it after dark.

Why do you say go back close to the dash. I was just going to tap in up along the wall, as it's the most convenient spot. I was going to go in just after the fuse on the bow wires. Sound good?

I didn't catch you were mounting the remote in the bow area, if so, you wont need to go back to the dash area, sorry, just tie in as close as you can.

Archimedes
10-17-2006, 01:04 PM
Yeah, it's the driver's remote and I ran the wires up over the kickplate along the hull. The bow wires are most accessible there. Ran the ground in conduit through that narrow tunnel under the floor of the pass through to the battery.

Diesel
10-17-2006, 01:35 PM
Yeah, it's the driver's remote and I ran the wires up over the kickplate along the hull. The bow wires are most accessible there. Ran the ground in conduit through that narrow tunnel under the floor of the pass through to the battery.

Don't hook it to the bow light..................it will only work when your nav lights are on. Most the time I only have the anchor lights on when we are chillin' listening to music at night. Tap it into the anchor light wires and it will be on both with the running lights and the anchor lights. The wires you want are in the loom right behind the throttle side pannel. You can also catch them at the switch which I think is easier. They should be black and white in color.

nuckinfutz
10-17-2006, 01:51 PM
Yep, stick through the insulation till you hit copper wire...be sure the little "alligator clip" on the other end of the test light has a good metal ground or it won't light either way.

Dont forget to come back to this thread and tell us how many times you stuck your finger because the the test light slipped off of the insulation and stuck you....

Those are fun!!

Archimedes
10-17-2006, 04:02 PM
Don't hook it to the bow light..................it will only work when your nav lights are on. Most the time I only have the anchor lights on when we are chillin' listening to music at night. Tap it into the anchor light wires and it will be on both with the running lights and the anchor lights. The wires you want are in the loom right behind the throttle side pannel. You can also catch them at the switch which I think is easier. They should be black and white in color.

I wasn't aware that my anchor lights stayed on with the running lights (been a long time since I ran at night). That'd be a whole lot easier. I can tap it anywhere from where it comes out of the top hull down to the switch.

Ric
10-17-2006, 04:25 PM
Don't hook it to the bow light..................it will only work when your nav lights are on. Most the time I only have the anchor lights on when we are chillin' listening to music at night. Tap it into the anchor light wires and it will be on both with the running lights and the anchor lights. The wires you want are in the loom right behind the throttle side pannel. You can also catch them at the switch which I think is easier. They should be black and white in color. ok THREADJACK
I want to make my clarion remote display stay lit when the key is turned backward on my boat... (NO anchor or NAV lites lit) Can I do this. I haven't cracked into it, but is there a seperate wire to lite the remote when the key is on in both the backward and the run positions?

Diesel
10-17-2006, 05:12 PM
ok THREADJACK
I want to make my clarion remote display stay lit when the key is turned backward on my boat... (NO anchor or NAV lites lit) Can I do this. I haven't cracked into it, but is there a seperate wire to lite the remote when the key is on in both the backward and the run positions?

Sure, find the purple wire or acc. wire. You can tap into at the key or at the back of the stereo.........which ever is easier. It takes all of 2min to raise the dash and access the backside of the key and harness. Since the remote is next to the dash it would be easiest to tap in at the key, IMHO. :)

Diesel
10-17-2006, 05:14 PM
I wasn't aware that my anchor lights stayed on with the running lights (been a long time since I ran at night). That'd be a whole lot easier. I can tap it anywhere from where it comes out of the top hull down to the switch.

The harness comes right out of the dash and down the starboard gunnel right where the remote mounts. Pull back the loom and you should be able to find the wires. Also it takes all of 2 min to pop the dash up and trace the wires out from the switch. This would be my suggestion.

Ric
10-17-2006, 07:03 PM
Sure, find the purple wire or acc. wire. You can tap into at the key or at the back of the stereo.........which ever is easier. It takes all of 2min to raise the dash and access the backside of the key and harness. Since the remote is next to the dash it would be easiest to tap in at the key, IMHO. :) Thanks I will check it out
so the purple wire is hot when the key is backward and when in run position? I will check it out but its so much easier to sit on myass here and ask instead

TMCNo1
10-17-2006, 08:40 PM
Thanks I will check it out
so the purple wire is hot when the key is backward and when in run position? I will check it out but its so much easier to sit on myass here and ask instead

:uglyhamme Um...............................Oh!, I get it, cool, Ric and well done!