PDA

View Full Version : Switch Panel

_JR
12-12-2004, 12:59 AM
Anyone know where I can find the switch panel for a 94 ProStar 190?

The cover is plastic and has cracked in a few places...looking at removing the switches and having one made out of aluminum, but if I can find one, it would be easier!

JimN
12-12-2004, 10:05 AM
Did you call Mastercraft yet?

An aluminum one would work better, but anodized tends to develop a weird color over time from UV and certain cleaning supplies. There are places in most larger cities that make panels for industrial applications and could duplicate the original. They should be listed in the phone book.

_JR
12-18-2004, 06:15 PM
JimN -

Yep, called my local dealer, and they don't have anything that old...recommended removing the existing cover and having an aluminum one made, which I am considering...will advise!

rasmithaz
12-18-2004, 10:50 PM
You can get a duplicate made at a trophy shop made out of plastic they use for plaques. last one cost me 70 bucks.

tph
12-18-2004, 11:53 PM
TAP plastics sells plastic sheets with various textures and thicknesses by the square foot if you are handy with a scroll saw.

_JR
12-21-2004, 01:40 AM
Thanks for the good ideas guys, I will look into it!

Bongo
01-13-2005, 10:45 PM
JR

Any updates on your attempts to find or fabricate this switch panel? Please share what you've found, if there's been any updates.

I have an '89 MasterCraft and the corners of the panel have cracked or broken off.

Bongo

_JR
01-17-2005, 08:55 PM
At the moment, I have taken the lazy way out and have used some finish washers to secure the panel in place.

I have contacted a local machine shop, and am waiting on them to give me a price to machine a replacement part from aluminum and to engrave the desired labels for each switch.

Will advise once I get more info.

mrG
08-29-2006, 11:45 PM
At the moment, I have taken the lazy way out and have used some finish washers to secure the panel in place.

I have contacted a local machine shop, and am waiting on them to give me a price to machine a replacement part from aluminum and to engrave the desired labels for each switch.

Will advise once I get more info.

I had a similar problem. The corners of the switch face plate cracked off leaving a poor appearance. I decided to try using #8-10 black plastic screw covers to hide the broken corners. I found these at my local Lowe's home center in the specialty hardware section.

After installing them on the corners I decided to add them to all the face plate screws to make it look uniform. An added benifit of using these is that they act as washers which seems to reduce stress on the remaning screw holes on the face plate thus, hopefully, preventing further cracking.

I'm happy with the way it looks now and it's certainly a lot easier, and less expensive, than having one fabricated.

Ryan
08-30-2006, 04:27 AM
I got a template from someone on here once. They applied a carbon fiber-looking decal over a sheet of plastic.

I'll have to dig around for that file.

cwright
08-30-2006, 12:13 PM
I just made one out of aluminum 1/8 sheet. I did the left side and had to cut holes for hr guage and my new depth finder. Tried the plastic first but my 18 year old platic has had too much UV and pretty much fell apart in my hands. Aluminum worked well. I polished, then etched, and cleaned it thoroughly with lacquer wash before painting it black to match. The paint will eventually chip or get scratched, but it's an easy winter project to remove it and re-spray.

Previous post guys have mentioned plastic with carbon fiber decals over it. That sounds cool too, but I had aluminum in my garage.

Post your pics when your done.

cwright
09-28-2006, 04:00 PM
oops wrong pic, try again

cwright
09-28-2006, 04:07 PM
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k6/chriswright04/DFpanel.jpg

This is a panel I made out of aluminum to allow me to add a DF on the panel. I have been so happy with it I plan on doing same on the switch panel which has the traditional broken corners. A winter project.