PDA

View Full Version : This might be a dumb question.....

X-2
10-16-2006, 06:40 PM
but, I was wondering why, when you anchor your boat, why do you anchor it with the bow out? (Prop towards shore) Is it because of the fins on the bottom of some, that a person is protecting from them rubbing bottom? I know I read something about it at one time or another somewhere, but at that time I did not retain the 'WHY DO YOU DO THIS' part. Thanks.

Farmer Ted
10-16-2006, 07:03 PM
but, I was wondering why, when you anchor your boat, why do you anchor it with the bow out? (Prop towards shore) Is it because of the fins on the bottom of some, that a person is protecting from them rubbing bottom? I know I read something about it at one time or another somewhere, but at that time I did not retain the 'WHY DO YOU DO THIS' part. Thanks.

The Wildman showed me the Bungee anchor and we anchor our boats at lake greeson this way due to the fact that the shoreline has lots of rocks/boulders and beaching the boat is not an option.

doing it this way also makes it easier to load, as you grab the rope tied ot the back and pull the boat in until it's in waist deep water and board.

http://www.anchorbuddy.com/aniboat3.gif

88 PS190
10-16-2006, 07:16 PM
Because with the bow out from shore when waves/wakes hit your boat the boat rides up and over.

If you set the boat bow towards shore the wakes hit the transom of the boat, which isn't designed to ride over the waves, resulting in swamping,

rodltg2
10-16-2006, 07:24 PM
makes it alot easier get in the boat and leave with out having to reverse for a ways and turning around.

X-2
10-16-2006, 07:32 PM
What about worries of prop damage......of course though I realize you anchor it out a ways....

Archimedes
10-16-2006, 07:41 PM
Unless you're in the flats, you'd have to be pretty damn close to shore to have prop worries. If you're 25+ feet off shore, you're fine.

X-2
10-16-2006, 08:02 PM
It all makes sense..thanks guys and Happy B-day Farmer Ted.

TMCNo1
10-16-2006, 08:31 PM
A tip, next time you stand behind your boat on the trailer compare the swim platform elevation in relationship to your waist, lets say it's at the top of your shorts. Notice how far the prop is off the ground, lets say 10", then the next time you pull the rear of the boat up to shore and the platform comes to the top of your shorts, don't anchor it in any closer, because there you have 10"+ clearance from the prop to the bottom for wave action and people boarding from the rear.

Faded & X9-Rated
10-17-2006, 11:11 AM
I just want to add.. What a great question! That's what this forum is all about! We are all drawn here by the passion we have for our MasterCraft boats, and to spread knowledge to everyone in here. However "dumb" you think your question is, there is ALWAYS someone on here that will give advice, or his/her 2 cents. Good job guys!

TMCNo1
10-17-2006, 12:06 PM
There is never a dumb question as long as you get an answer.

atlfootr
10-17-2006, 12:10 PM
I just want to add.. What a great question! That's what this forum is all about! We are all drawn here by the passion we have for our MasterCraft boats, and to spread knowledge to everyone in here. However "dumb" you think your question is, there is ALWAYS someone on here that will give advice, or his/her 2 cents. Good job guys!GREAT point!

trickskier
10-17-2006, 12:25 PM
Because with the bow out from shore when waves/wakes hit your boat the boat rides up and over.

If you set the boat bow towards shore the wakes hit the transom of the boat, which isn't designed to ride over the waves, resulting in swamping,

This is actually the reason you anchor with the bow, to prevent swamping. If you only use a bow line to anchor, the boat will shift with wind direction and the V in the bow will ride with the waves. If you were to anchor from the stern the wave could crash over the transom and possibly sink the boat. I know a guy who anchored is X-30 from the stern and storm came up and sank it in about 5 minutes. Had to get the engine rebuilt!

No offense FT but I would never anchor according to the illustration you posted.

TMC
10-17-2006, 01:11 PM
There is never a dumb question as long as you get an answer.

http://despair.com/cluelessness.html

Archimedes
10-17-2006, 01:15 PM
No offense FT but I would never anchor according to the illustration you posted.

Yeah, I laughed when I saw that illustration on the anchor buddy I bought. For a company selling boating products, and an anchor tool at that, you'd think they'd get it right. I don't think I've ever seen anyone anchor stern out.

88 PS190
10-17-2006, 01:33 PM
Worst I've seen is someone toss an anchor off the back to drift fish, then start motoring along, anchor caught DUNK.

TMCNo1
10-17-2006, 01:34 PM
http://despair.com/cluelessness.html

:uglyhamme :popcorn: Your good!

Farmer Ted
10-17-2006, 02:11 PM

none taken, the key to this thing is to have the anchor buddy out far enough that it has to be stretched to get to shore. You have to hold the boat for people to board, as soon as you let go the anchor buddy pulls the boat back out to deep water.

I've seen all kinds of bass boat, run-a-bouts, beached on the rocky shores of Lake Greeson. Never seen a comp boat done that way though.

X-2
10-17-2006, 02:33 PM
So let me get this straight......When I anchor my boat with the bow facing outward, I should be anchoring at the bow? Tieing it to the trailer hook (whatever that is called) Is this correct? Then tie the stern off to something off shore? Now don't get mad at me....I'm actually X-2's wife...... so if I seem a little 'off ' with terms! But we've had this question for a while......we go to Lake Powell and will be going more this next Summer, and always have had anchoring worries. Thanks!

trickskier
10-17-2006, 02:39 PM
none taken, the key to this thing is to have the anchor buddy out far enough that it has to be stretched to get to shore. You have to hold the boat for people to board, as soon as you let go the anchor buddy pulls the boat back out to deep water.

I've seen all kinds of bass boat, run-a-bouts, beached on the rocky shores of Lake Greeson. Never seen a comp boat done that way though.

I don't know why a company would post an illustration like that. Even if the line stretches the boat could still get swamped. That would make it hard to pull to the shorline when it's sitting on the bottom! :uglyhamme

88 PS190
10-17-2006, 02:45 PM
You have it correct X-2. anchor off the bow loop, with enough bow line to make sure the boat doesn't lift up on the anchor.

then pull the boat towards shore w/ extra line from the rear, then tie it off. done.

trickskier
10-17-2006, 02:45 PM
So let me get this straight......When I anchor my boat with the bow facing outward, I should be anchoring at the bow? Tieing it to the trailer hook (whatever that is called) Is this correct? Then tie the stern off to something off shore? Now don't get mad at me....I'm actually X-2's wife...... so if I seem a little 'off ' with terms! But we've had this question for a while......we go to Lake Powell and will be going more this next Summer, and always have had anchoring worries. Thanks!

It's called the boweye and you are correct. Always anchor with the bow away from the shoreline. You can use a second anchor off the stern, you don't have to go all the way to shore but you can.

X-2
10-17-2006, 02:52 PM
:woohoo: Thank you, Thank you, Thank you..... :woohoo: I never thought this question would get a straight answer! Really though, it was a great question. Many must not really know how to anchor properly, when we go to Lake Powell....you never see anyone doing it this way. Lot's of times they just run it on to the shore. Is there that many people out there who don't care about their boats? I can't believe it, really. Once again, thanks.

Jwhitsett1129
10-17-2006, 03:52 PM
There are actually quite a few steps involved in properly setting anchor. If set correctly and in fair weather, there is only a need for a bow anchor. Danforth or other types of fluked anchors have always seemed to provide the best hold for me.

1. Point the bow into the wind and bring the boat to a stop
2. Drop the anchor
3. Slowly back down on the anchor, providing proper scope for the depth (proper scope in fair weather is generally 5 times the water depth...if you are in 8 feet of water then pay out at least 40 ft. of line)
4. The anchor should set and stop the boat.
5. Pick a fixed object and reference its location to the boat, so you can occasionally check for drifting.
6. Float the cooler and chairs ashore, relax and have fun.

The boat will act like a wind vane, keeping the bow pointed into the wind. The scope will keep the tension on the anchor line horizontal and should keep the hook from breaking loose. This process takes a little bit more time than simply tossing the anchor overboard, but it will allow you to relax. The few extra minutes are certainly cheaper than damage to your, or someone else's boat.

skeeler
10-17-2006, 03:57 PM
Like my dad always said, "There are no dumb questions, only dumb people." :D With that being said, I don't even own an anchor.

X-2
10-17-2006, 04:08 PM
An anchor is a must when shoreline camping for 5 or 6 days!!!!!

Archimedes
10-17-2006, 04:19 PM
:woohoo: Thank you, Thank you, Thank you..... :woohoo: I never thought this question would get a straight answer! Really though, it was a great question. Many must not really know how to anchor properly, when we go to Lake Powell....you never see anyone doing it this way. Lot's of times they just run it on to the shore. Is there that many people out there who don't care about their boats? I can't believe it, really. Once again, thanks.

Well if you're beaching your boat, that's another thing entirely, and there's nothing wrong with that. I always beached my Prostar and never once scratched the hull. And at Lake Powell where the wind can kick up hard and fast, I always beached my boat and would do the same today. Sometimes I also tie side lines to keep it from spinning and high centering in the sand if the wind is bad.

X-2
10-17-2006, 04:43 PM
I don't think I would ever beach my $70,000.00 boat.....I mean ever....

#47of100TeamMC
10-17-2006, 04:48 PM
Like my dad always said, "There are no dumb questions, only dumb people." :D With that being said, I don't even own an anchor.

That's how I've heard it too, "ther are no stupid questions... Only stupid people asking questions"

Again, with that said, I'm adding an anchor buddy to my christmas wish list right now!

Archimedes
10-17-2006, 04:51 PM
I don't think I would ever beach my $70,000.00 boat.....I mean ever....

I've beached all my boats many, many, many times and never once come away with even a scratch. Of course I've only beached on sand/dirt and would never do it on a rocky shoreline. I didn't even carry an anchor on my Prostar and only have one on my X-1 now because the wife/kids like to anchor out in coves and swim, and some of the lakes we visit now have really steep shorelines.

rodltg2
10-17-2006, 05:00 PM
learned this one the hard way, on a river never anchor off the back with the bow pointing down river.

Archimedes
10-17-2006, 05:09 PM
learned this one the hard way, on a river never anchor off the back with the bow pointing down river.

Swamp, rip the tow eye out, or have to cut the anchor line?

Bruce
10-17-2006, 05:32 PM
Jwhitsett1129 wins the anchor knowledge post (even though he did not
use the word "rode" for anchor chain etc.) When we are offshore down here in deep water.(not in my MariStar) We use a canvas sea anchor. Object: keep the nose into the wind! Avoids becoming a submarine.
There was a lot of good info in this thread. I never cease to be amazed at the collective knowledge.
As to being a dumb question--check my regular signature line.
P.S. I used to beach my old boat. Never again!(sand i.e. sand blast, sandpaper etc. Get my drift?)

rick s.
10-17-2006, 05:32 PM
I'm usually really anal about anchoring, but, and this depends on where I am, I will anchor either bow-out or stern-out. Bow-out makes it much easier getting on and off the boat, but with the stern-out the running gear is in deeper water.

I have a danforth-type anchor with about 15 feet of chain. I never drag.

I'll set an anchor, rig a bouy then tie off the anchor line on shore to a stake, a rock, or a tree, whatever's handy. We leave this set when we go. I set the buoy about where the bow or stern would tie off on the line and use it as a reference. This lets me come in either bow-in or bow out and know I'm not going to touch bottom.

Jwhitsett1129
10-17-2006, 06:16 PM
You got me Bruce...rode or warp would be the correct terminology in lieu of "line." :o

BrianM
10-17-2006, 06:51 PM
I've beached all my boats many, many, many times and never once come away with even a scratch. Of course I've only beached on sand/dirt and would never do it on a rocky shoreline.
My boat has a little rash on the keel from the previous owner beaching it in the sand. The guy took amazing care of the boat with this one exception. :noface: It looks like someone rubbed a little 80 grit sand paper on about a 12" section of the keel. :mad: The damage is only visiable with the boat on the trailer and I have decided that it doesn't bother me enough to justify the expense to repair it. That being said I would still like to smack the guy in the head.:rant:

jsnipes
10-17-2006, 07:55 PM
Hmmmm ... and I thought it was so that you could hear the music from the tower speakers while hanging out on the beach!!!

<grin>

JS

rodltg2
10-17-2006, 08:09 PM
Swamp, rip the tow eye out, or have to cut the anchor line?

had to cut the anchor line and loose the anchor. tried to muscle it up but the current was way too strong . and since thse boats dont reverse well , much less agianst current. we gave it up to the river..

X-2
10-18-2006, 02:38 PM
As to being a dumb question--check my regular signature line.
P.S. I used to beach my old boat. Never again!(sand i.e. sand blast, sandpaper etc. Get my drift?)

That's right Bruce,, I think we fall in on the first line......we can be taught! :D We're commonly referred to as LEARNERS! If you don't ask...you won't find out....and I for sure don't want to have to find out the hard way!!!:D

WakeSeeky
10-18-2006, 03:57 PM

Well, you've never seen us at Powell, then. :D We actually ended up moving the two stern ropes farther apart after this picture was taken, but you get the idea.

Two big reasons we set it up this way when we anchor out. First, it's WAY easier to get stuff on and off the boat. Second, if a storm does blow up, waves can't swamp the back of the boat and sink it. I saw an X-30 that sank at lake Mead after a storm came up while it was anchored bow in... what a mess, estimated $10k + in damage.

X-2
10-18-2006, 05:11 PM
Wake Seeky..... that's a beautiful picture... thank's for sharing. No we have never seen you at Powell...... that place is huge. Where were you at in this picture, do you know? (like what canyon) We come in from Bullfrog, and don't go too far down. Do you put in at Page? I think I just officially threadjacked my own thread!

Doug G
10-18-2006, 11:08 PM
Another good use for the anchor ... when tying up for the float up you don't want the whole line floating around ...

WakeSeeky
10-19-2006, 01:20 PM
Wake Seeky..... that's a beautiful picture... thank's for sharing. No we have never seen you at Powell...... that place is huge. Where were you at in this picture, do you know? (like what canyon) We come in from Bullfrog, and don't go too far down. Do you put in at Page? I think I just officially threadjacked my own thread!

Well.... ok, I'll go ahead and follow your threadjack. :D

That picture was taken a little over a year ago in Rock Creek Bay, about as far up as you could go at that time. We launch from Stateline and usually camp somewhere south of Dangling Rope when we go. Didn't make it up there this year, unfortunately, maybe next year.

Whereabouts in Western Colorado are you from? Most of my family lives in Grand Junction, I was just there last weekend. Nice to see trees turning colors, but also good to come home where the water never freezes. ;)

X-2
10-19-2006, 06:41 PM
WakeSeeky.... we're in Parachute--just 45minutes East of GJ. Actually used to live there as well. Yeah, the trees are nice, but we sure have a hard time parking the boat in the garage. In fact, it got so cold early, we haven't been on the water since the end of Aug. Which really sucks. It has never really warmed up enough to get out on the lake. Last year we were puttin in clear into mid October--the water was 50 degrees but the air temp was still nice. Maybe we will get an early Spring here.

We try to get to Powell a couple of times each year, maybe even more this next year. We sure enjoy puttin in the water and staying there for 5 or 6 days. I'd never leave--but for some reason my husband keeps telling me he has to get back to work or something silly like that!

We wished we lived in a climate where we did not have to park the boat for the winter....it truely sucks.........

WakeSeeky
10-20-2006, 12:31 PM
I'm with you, I'd never leave Powell if I could figure out a way to keep paying for gas. 8p And yeah, I'm currently living farther north than I ever planned to again, but we can still ride year round so I can't complain too much. When I get the "When are you moving here with the rest of us?" from the GJ crowd, my response is always "As soon as ya'll stop having cold weather in the winter."

Anyhow, If you ever make it to Vegas, give us a shout, you've got a pull here any time.

X-2
10-21-2006, 09:13 AM
Sounds great to me......thanks. Unfortunately, we never have any rason to go to Vegas. :( I wish I lived where it was warm in the Winter......agggghhhhhhhhh..............

WakePowell
10-21-2006, 05:44 PM
We have anchored many times at Lake Powell and bow out is the only way to go. The only thing I would add is if you are going to be anchored for awhile I suggest crossing two anchor lines attached to the stern. The wind at Powell can hit you from many different angles and it changes quickly. The crossed lines do a great job of keeping the boat from swinging side to side.

X-2
10-23-2006, 06:35 PM
WakePowell....did you ever have any problem of it drifting when the wind kicked up? Every time I've been to Powell I've never had to deal with too strong of winds....and I've heard it can get nasty.

WakePowell
10-23-2006, 08:00 PM
We have had some evenings when the wind has gusted in the 40 mph range. With the crossed anchor lines at the stern and a good bite on the front anchor we have never had a problem. You will want to cover the boat if the winds kick-up or you will be cleaning sand out of every nook and cranny.

X-2
10-23-2006, 08:38 PM
I do that anyway whether the wind blows or not. My kids are the guilty...of course!