PDA

View Full Version : Hot stocks in the market

kycat2007
10-16-2006, 03:08 PM
I have kinda dabbled with some stocks and thought it would be neat to see if any of the MC group had stocks to watch or definite buys.

I will start it off. I watched Mad Money a few days back and he suggested this stock.

ARNA Arena Pharm. It has a drug in the pipeline that could be really good for the world. It is an obesity drug that has very few side effects vs the other drugs companies.
I bought it at 13.98 a share.

sanjuan23
10-16-2006, 03:11 PM
Just about every pharm. company has an obesity drug in the pipeline at the moment, most were positive effects of Diabetes drugs and so on. All the bigs have diabetes drugs scheduled to release with in days. Should be interesting.

jbfootin
10-16-2006, 06:01 PM
OSK:popcorn:

http://biz.yahoo.com/fool/061016/116103155330.html?.v=1

Stritt
10-16-2006, 06:29 PM
northwest and delta airlines....both on the bullentin boat....Delta @ 1.30 Northwest @ .70......Its a gamble, both expecting to come out of chapter 13 1st or 2nd quarter 07.....Some AE stocks are worth looking at many are at 52 wk lows and looking to bounce back.....My wife is a VP for an IR firm, so I cant say much more.:rolleyes:

Farmer Ted
10-16-2006, 06:56 PM
I buy Ostriches and LLamas, as many as I can get.

If you know a good breeder let me know.

The shortage is just around the corner, I'm going to be ready.

when I'm not speculating livestock futures, I've been known to spend a little money on the following stocks; XMSR, NOK, AMD, DE, PFG, EGHT.

Thinking about doing a GE DRIP for the kids. I also donate 10% of my paltry military paycheck to our Thrift Savings Programs International Fund and S&P Index Fund

M-Funf
10-16-2006, 08:40 PM
I've got most of my equities money in medical stocks right now. These are a few...

ISRG - robotic surgery (I was a very early employee and my ISO's were cheap. Gained about 1,300% in the last 10 years)

NFLD - Northfield Labs. They have developed a human hemoglobin-based temporary oxygen-carrying red blood cell substitute. Doesn't last long in the human body, but keeps on the shelf much longer...bought in at 10...hoping for good times...

There are a couple of others on the way...I've got my eyes on a company that is developing a non-surgical approach to treat morbid obesity, and another that's developing a device related cure to type II diabetes...haven't pulled the trigger on either yet, as they are still working on the solutions and privately held, but they both show promise...

kycat2007
10-16-2006, 09:11 PM
Looks like Northfield has some money troubles as it may run out soon. They are burning through it very fast and lots of people think the trial is unethical. I wonder if they will be bought up by bigger pharm company?
I've got most of my equities money in medical stocks right now. These are a few...

ISRG - robotic surgery (I was a very early employee and my ISO's were cheap. Gained about 1,300% in the last 10 years)

NFLD - Northfield Labs. They have developed a human hemoglobin-based temporary oxygen-carrying red blood cell substitute. Doesn't last long in the human body, but keeps on the shelf much longer...bought in at 10...hoping for good times...

There are a couple of others on the way...I've got my eyes on a company that is developing a non-surgical approach to treat morbid obesity, and another that's developing a device related cure to type II diabetes...haven't pulled the trigger on either yet, as they are still working on the solutions and privately held, but they both show promise...

kycat2007
10-16-2006, 09:13 PM
Kramer says deere was a good. He says recently to stay clear of semi conductors. I think tech stocks will do well this quarter like GLW, ORCLE, ARRS, qcom.

Farmer Ted
10-16-2006, 09:38 PM
Kramer says deere was a good. He says recently to stay clear of semi conductors. I think tech stocks will do well this quarter like GLW, ORCLE, ARRS, qcom.

My dad works at one of their plants, things have slowed down for the company lately. Last summer when I was home they had 200 orders for Cotton Pickers and were expecting a deal that large to come in from the Chinese, I think it fell through as the Chinese couldn't finance the deal.

Least that's what my step mom told me.

Kramer, the same dude who thinks Sirius will take over (buy out XM) that guys pretty funny some times.

kycat2007
10-16-2006, 09:59 PM
I looked it up to see where he stood and I see he actually wants to be out of that stock.
http://www.thestreet.com/funds/lightninground/_msnh/10312793.html?cm_ven=MSNH&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA

Farmer Ted
10-16-2006, 10:00 PM
I looked it up to see where he stood and I see he actually wants to be out of that stock.
http://www.thestreet.com/funds/lightninground/_msnh/10312793.html?cm_ven=MSNH&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA

I kind of gathered that impression

Photon Dynamics PHTN was a stock I followed for awhile. They seemed to have (or had) the market cornered on Plasma TV manufacturing widgets, something about yield management on the production line blah blah blah. The logic was that one day a plasma tv will be on every other wall of your house.....

that was then

can't beat Lazy Boy people will always buy recliners

WTRSK1R
10-16-2006, 11:14 PM
Those of you looking at new drug approvals driving a stock price up may already realize this, but the drug approval cycle is VERY long. In many cases, the development cycle can be many years before they ever have a drug that appears to pass the basic safety requirements for animals. From that point on, it can still be another 10 - 15 years depending on the type of trials, the results of the trials, and other factors. During that timeframe, competitors may be working on similar disease states, and it becomes a significant gamble on who wins the race.
Just my :twocents:
Steve

Holtrodj
10-16-2006, 11:31 PM
I don't mean to be too negitive, but I hope you guys don't actually think you can consistantly make money by following the advice of some guy on a website called "the street". The Wall Street Journal actually does a study on a regular basis where they have an ape randomly pick stocks. The majority of the time, the ape's portfolio outperforms that of the far majority of the stock pickers out there such as the ones your betting on. (the biggest factor is the trasaction costs of trading so often)

I guess it comes down to the intention - if you have extra $ that you want to gamble with, go for it. But realize that its really no different than Vegas in the short run. I guess I'd rather save my extra $ for a newer MC.

bigmac
10-16-2006, 11:34 PM
There are a couple of others on the way...I've got my eyes on a company that is developing a non-surgical approach to treat morbid obesity.....

WHAT!!?? It'll never happen :D

kycat2007
10-17-2006, 01:04 AM
Steve ARNA is in phase three with its weight loss drug and they were given $2.4 million to continue research on its Diabettes drug.

kycat2007
10-17-2006, 01:08 AM
I think he brings new ideas to think about and if you have read his book you have some things to look for in a stock. Yea people call and he gives is booya stuff but if you do your research as well, he will give you probably 50% correct picks. In the Hedge fund he would commoly short positions and sells to make 1 to 2 points on each stock traded. Sometimes better sometimes worse. Remember it is a tv show and we all need to do our own research.

Leroy
10-17-2006, 01:28 AM
If you can recognize the right technology or someone from within the walls tells you something (not insider info) then you can make money......

sada
10-17-2006, 01:44 AM
FDO, has been steadly building steam.

Stritt
10-17-2006, 10:06 AM
There is no replacement to your own due dill.....kramer or any other tv personality should not be your only source of research, unfortunately in many cases, the un-informed are the ones who listen and end up losing $$....Is Wall Street like Vegas? Really? No, its not. With Wall Street you can make informed decisions, again if you are willing to do the work. Vegas, put the $$ on the table and let it ride.....no control in random cards or numbers. Sometimes, the best stocks are the lower cost that have the potential, but are much riskier.....everyone wants a 10 bagger. I personally am still waiting:rolleyes:

Holtrodj
10-17-2006, 06:59 PM
The key is you need to define your term. If your buying with the thought of holding for value appreciation within a company (typically a pierod of years) no, then its not anything like Vegas. If your buying to see if the stock goes us tomorrow, in a week, or a month and then you want your money back, then betting it all on Blacks and Evens is just as good.

PendO
10-17-2006, 07:09 PM
If you can recognize the right technology or someone from within the walls tells you something (not insider info) then you can make money......

or you can just try and grab the falling knife and chase it all the way to the bottom:)

Leroy
10-17-2006, 07:44 PM
Yep, remember etoys, @home, I could list several falling knives!

or you can just try and grab the falling knife and chase it all the way to the bottom:)

Upper Michigan Prostar190
10-17-2006, 08:23 PM
I buy pasties! Good yooper stock. I got the market cornered!;) dont try to horn in on it!:D and for gawd sake buy Coors lite stock, with a guy like Hoosier around, How could you go wrong??:cool:

PendO
10-17-2006, 11:48 PM
Yep, remember etoys, @home, I could list several falling knives!

to be followed by the "dead cat bounce" ... TMC has kinda been like therapy for some of the stock boards I used to follow ... at least here when I spend my money I am having fun with the toys:)