PDA

View Full Version : Orders to S.C.

ski_500
10-16-2006, 02:54 PM
Hey gang,

My daughter and her husband just got orders to Shaw AFB in South Carolina. That's good news 'cause they'll be 8 hours closer to Va. They will report to their units by the first of the year. She skis, he's a wakeboarder. Where are the near-by places to hit the water? Are any of you skiing in the area?

Thanks,

Jesus_Freak
10-16-2006, 03:09 PM
Excellent! The closest I have skied is Lake Murray in Columbia, but I am sure there are better places than that.

TMCNo1
10-16-2006, 05:09 PM
Hey gang,

My daughter and her husband just got orders to Shaw AFB in South Carolina. That's good news 'cause they'll be 8 hours closer to Va. They will report to their units by the first of the year. She skis, he's a wakeboarder. Where are the near-by places to hit the water? Are any of you skiing in the area?

Thanks,

Shaw AFB is close to what city or metropolitan area?
I would contact Vince @ www.skidim.com or call 1-803-345-0996, he is in Chapin, SC, just outside Columbia and he can probably advise you or them about local lakes/ski sites in SC.

Hrkdrivr
10-16-2006, 05:24 PM
Shaw AFB is in Sumter SC. Mapquest shows Lake Marion and Lake Moultrie nearby...dunno if anyone skis there or not.

ski_500
10-16-2006, 06:02 PM
Quote:
I would contact Vince @ www.skidim.com or call 1-803-345-0996, he is in Chapin, SC

Thanks Harold, that's a great idea.

... HrkDRivr...:rolleyes:
You piloting a C-130 maybe??? Which branch?

H20skeefreek
10-16-2006, 06:13 PM
Lakes Marion and Moultrie are pretty "stumpy" I wouldn't take an inboard in to those lakes.

Emerald lake waterski club is near Florence, less than an hour from sumter.

BriEOD
10-16-2006, 10:17 PM
Hey gang,

Thanks,
Ol' Sumter, SC. Unfortunately, their is hardly anything there. The good news is Wateree is close by. http://lakewatereesc.net/

BriEOD
10-16-2006, 10:18 PM
Lakes Marion and Moultrie are pretty "stumpy" I wouldn't take an inboard in to those lakes.

Emerald lake waterski club is near Florence, less than an hour from sumter.
Those are like and hour or better from Shaw. Lake Wateree is like 30 minutes. In fact, I think SHAW has an MWR facility at Lake Wateree.

BriEOD
10-16-2006, 10:19 PM

I've had my boat on Moultrie a few times. The stumps aren't the problem, it is the lake being so big and wide open. It is never really calm.

H20skeefreek
10-16-2006, 10:21 PM
they do. it's about 30 minutes to the south end of the lake, the best skiing is on the top side of the lake.

Hrkdrivr
10-17-2006, 01:32 AM
Quote:
I would contact Vince @ www.skidim.com or call 1-803-345-0996, he is in Chapin, SC

Thanks Harold, that's a great idea.

... HrkDRivr...:rolleyes:
You piloting a C-130 maybe??? Which branch?

Ski, yep. USAF slicks (non-special ops). Not much fun to ride in back but a heck of a good time driving them!

ski_500
10-18-2006, 09:10 AM
Hey Herk,

I've been on a lot of different military aircraft over the years. My only C130 ride was courtesy of our Navy brethren. I flew out of a dusthole in Egypt to Sigonella, Italy. I rated the creature comforts right up there with CH53s. ;) -But I was glad for the ride.

Thanks for all the missions you make.
Keep up the good work!

Chief
10-18-2006, 09:19 AM
Navy has rec center in Moncks Corner. It is called "Short Stay", it's right on the lake and just across are the locks to go into the tailrace canal. You can find some sweet water to ride in on the tailrace or along the dikes of lake Moultrie.

ski_500
10-18-2006, 09:31 AM
Bri,
Thanks for the Wateree link, but I didn't see a lot of details about the lake, especially ramps, marinas, skiclubs, etc...
I also looked at the base website there wasn't a lot of info.
Here's the description of they provided on the facilities page:
"Wateree Recreation Area: Reservations for the cabins or pavilions at the Wateree Recreation Area and seasonal swimming pool passes are available at the Recreation Supply office. The state basic boating safety class is taught at the Recreation Supply office. The Wateree Recreation Area is located 34 miles north of Shaw AFB."
So it looks like this is going to be a journey of discovery. WooHoo :dance: -bring on the adventure!

hokiecharlie
10-18-2006, 01:26 PM
Ski 500,

I see you're in VA. Where do you do most of your boating? I'm in Richmond. In-laws had a place at Lake Anna, but just sold it. Looks like we'll mostly be on the Chickahominy next summer.

ski_500
10-18-2006, 05:28 PM
Hokie Charlie,

We're skiing on the local rivers here, mostly Northwest River on the southern end of Chesapeake. (The city, not the bay) I've skied the Chickahominy once as a guest of the Colonial Ski club, but I lost my contact info up there:confused: IIRC they were into show skiing. There was a jump ramp and a killer starting dock.
If you want to get into some competitive slalom I know a guy who practices on his own private lake near Williamsburg. His regular partner drives down from Richmond. I dont know if they're done for the season yet.

-Later ...

BriEOD
10-18-2006, 06:49 PM
Bri,
Thanks for the Wateree link, but I didn't see a lot of details about the lake, especially ramps, marinas, skiclubs, etc...
I also looked at the base website there wasn't a lot of info.
Here's the description of they provided on the facilities page:
"Wateree Recreation Area: Reservations for the cabins or pavilions at the Wateree Recreation Area and seasonal swimming pool passes are available at the Recreation Supply office. The state basic boating safety class is taught at the Recreation Supply office. The Wateree Recreation Area is located 34 miles north of Shaw AFB."
So it looks like this is going to be a journey of discovery. WooHoo :dance: -bring on the adventure!
I've got some friends that were stationed at Shaw and they had a boat. They had a lot of positive things to say about Wateree. Sorry, that was just a quick query of Google. I've also been to Shaw (briefly) and Sumter is not exactly the greatest of southern towns. It is however, about 90 minutes to Charleston.

ski_500
10-19-2006, 01:21 PM
Bri,
If it's anything like the reservoirs I've been to in Virginia and North Carolina, there should be some good water available. Like a well protected cove, or something.
Since it's not well advertised, maybe it's the next "Secret Spot" (I love that video!!)
I probably wont make any trips down there till early next season. When I do I'll make a full report.

hokiecharlie
10-19-2006, 03:46 PM
ski 500,

If you could give the contact information for the Williamsburg guy, I'd appreciate it. Doesn't look like the Colonial Ski Club is very active anymore. I'm trying to learn how to ski the course, but don't know of any on the Chickahominy. It's always good to meet more skiers. Thanks.

Mikey
10-19-2006, 05:05 PM
Hrkdrivr, I have flown in and out of Iraq on a 130 on several occasions. You are right they are not much fun to cruise in the back of unless it is going into a combat landing. Now that my friend is better than any roller coaster I have ever been on.:D Who knows maybe you have given me a ride in the past.:cool: I also flew on an Aussie 130, man them pilots are nuckin futz! it was awesome. :headbang:

Sorry for the threadjack.

H20skeefreek
10-19-2006, 10:11 PM
Bri,
If it's anything like the reservoirs I've been to in Virginia and North Carolina, there should be some good water available. Like a well protected cove, or something.
Since it's not well advertised, maybe it's the next "Secret Spot" (I love that video!!)
I probably wont make any trips down there till early next season. When I do I'll make a full report.
ski500, there is a lake wateree ski club. shoot me an email and I'll try to find the guy who runs it's contact info. I used to go to lake wateree a lot, so I can tell you a few things about it. Main thing is, skiing is good on the north end of the lake, it's real choppy on the south end most of the time. Also there is a sandbar up that way that some people hang out on in the summer time. There aren't many long fingers on the lake for wind protection. The LW ski course is on Colonels creek, but it's a submerged course. I actually ski with the guy who owns it, but he doesn't use it much.

ski_500
10-20-2006, 08:54 AM
H2O-
I just shot you an e-mail,
Thanks.