PDA

View Full Version : Oil Weights, which one?

h2oskier
10-16-2006, 02:56 AM
I am going to winterize soon, this will be my first time, and am wondering which oil to use. Type and weight, I think I am going to switch to synthetic. I have an '03 209 with the MCX engine. Is it important to use an oil specific for marine applications?
Any thoughts?

Thanks!

bigmac
10-16-2006, 09:12 AM
I am going to winterize soon, this will be my first time, and am wondering which oil to use. Type and weight, I think I am going to switch to synthetic. I have an '03 209 with the MCX engine. Is it important to use an oil specific for marine applications?
Any thoughts?

Thanks!It's in your owner's manual. Use any 15W40 oil that is labelled as API spec CH-4/SJ or higher (current oils are CI-4/SL). It may or may not be labelled "marine", might be labelled "heavy duty" or "diesel" -- all the same. You can usually get Rotella T at NAPA, and while you're there pick up a Wix 51069, or NAPA Gold 1069 oil filter (identical filter). I'd recommend against the Pennzoil PZ-3 filter MasterCraft recommends. IIRC Walmart often sells the Pennzoil 15w40. There are other oils out there that you can use in your boat, those two just seem to be the most commonly found ones. If your boat has more than 100 hours (according to MasterCraft/Indmar), you can use synthetic oil. No real advantage IMHO, but no harm done either as long as it meets those same API specs CH-4/SJ. I noticed yesterday that NAPA sells Amsoil 15w40 that fits your requirements.