PDA

View Full Version : Older style Platforms

sully
12-10-2004, 10:16 PM
Just thought I would share some pictures of what I discoverd when I took my swim plateform apart.
http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=637&sort=1&size=medium&cat=500

http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=638&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

This is what I discovered in between the parts that are screwed together. I think discovered it in time .... and all the black comes of with 100 grit sand paper. My plan is to varnish the plateform with Sikkens cetrol. Hopefully this will prevent this rottening in the future.

Sully

Laurel_Lake_Skier
12-10-2004, 10:56 PM
It doesn't look like the wood is rotting, just some discoloration from the water being trapped between the layers.

I wonder if you might be better off using teak oil for the refinishing of the deck. I've seen the Sikens used on cedar siding and decking. After a while it can start to peel off and it needs to be stripped and reapplied on a pretty regular basis.

H20skeefreek
12-11-2004, 08:34 AM
Just thought I would share some pictures of what I discoverd when I took my swim plateform apart.
http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=637&sort=1&size=medium&cat=500

http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=638&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

This is what I discovered in between the parts that are screwed together. I think discovered it in time .... and all the black comes of with 100 grit sand paper. My plan is to varnish the plateform with Sikkens cetrol. Hopefully this will prevent this rottening in the future.

Sully

Even as a person who sells Cetol, I would highly recommend that you do not varnish your platform with Cetol. As Laural Lake said, it will eventually peel and flake off, and requires much maint. I would highy recommend oiling. If you insist on varnish, you must properly seal the teak with a teak wood sealer before varnishing. Teak is a very oily wood, and will cause the varnish to peel much earlier than on other woods such as cedar.

also, cetol has a bit of an orange tint to it that I don't think you will like.

and the black you see is actually some sort of growth. mold/mildew/algea/funk. teak doesn't rot unless it is wet ALL the time.

Leroy
12-11-2004, 08:50 AM
Sully; This cracks me up! Now what would have you taking apart your teak deck? Thinking I've missed some maintenance item. :eek: Below from the web.

Teak is one of the most valuable timbers, "the king under the timbers", in ancient times considered as "a royal timber". Teak is world wide recognized for its durability and stability, The timber is immense stable, has a high oil content that works as "built-in" natural water repellent and is therefore virtually immune to rotting, fungi and harsh chemicals. Teak is one of the few timbers that can withstand the heat of the desert and will not readily catch fire.
Untreated teak can be left in the open for more than 30 years whilst becoming an attractive soft silver color. Teak is one of the timbers not susceptible to termite (white ants) attacks.

dmac
12-11-2004, 11:40 AM
Teak is one of the most valuable timbers, "the king under the timbers", in ancient times considered as "a royal timber". Teak is world wide recognized for its durability and stability, The timber is immense stable, has a high oil content that works as "built-in" natural water repellent and is therefore virtually immune to rotting, fungi and harsh chemicals. Teak is one of the few timbers that can withstand the heat of the desert and will not readily catch fire.
Untreated teak can be left in the open for more than 30 years whilst becoming an attractive soft silver color. Teak is one of the timbers not susceptible to termite (white ants) attacks.
Teak 101 I should say.

Thanks Professor, learned some things. I too am curious on the reason for disassembly. :confused:

Dean Witmer
12-11-2004, 01:11 PM
I have used cetol on several platforms and have never had any peeling problems. One caution - Cetol is a glossy surface and can be slippery so be careful not to put on to much. I have it on the platform of my fishing boat and it haas lasted five years with no peeling and looks like new.

sully
12-11-2004, 02:17 PM
Well I decided to take my swim platform apart because when I was sanding it and prepping it I noticed the mold (I would agree it is mold and not rotting) in between the slats, and decided I wanted to remove the mold from there also. Well on thing led to another and I kept finding this mold ... next thing I know my swim platform is almost completely apart. I think this will actually work out better. I can get the varnish in between all the parts creating a better finish and less chance of peeling.

AirJunky
12-11-2004, 08:44 PM
Be careful with varnish. We had a guy on Sammamish who tried it & a few years later he had to belt sand it all off. The stuff flaked & cracked badly & looked like hell.

sfitzgerald351
12-12-2004, 11:01 AM
Isn't Cetol a bit different than varnish? I used West Marine's Wood Pro (similar to Cetol) two years ago and the platform is looking pretty good. No matter how much I cleaned, sanded, and oiled I couldn't get my platform to stay nice looking. With the Wood Pro it stays looking pretty good. There is a photo in my profile. The only issue is where the skis have scraped it off, but a spot sand, clean and reaaplication has it looking nice. Even if I have to totally sand and reapply in a couple of years it'll still be a lot easier than cleaning and oiling teak every year.

Leroy
12-12-2004, 02:29 PM
I had the feeling it was one of those jobs, something simple, there is something else to fix and before you know it you have something completely disassembled in a major job.

Well I decided to take my swim platform apart because when I was sanding it and prepping it I noticed the mold (I would agree it is mold and not rotting) in between the slats, and decided I wanted to remove the mold from there also. Well on thing led to another and I kept finding this mold ... next thing I know my swim platform is almost completely apart. I think this will actually work out better. I can get the varnish in between all the parts creating a better finish and less chance of peeling.

sully
12-13-2004, 06:30 PM
sfitzgerald351,
I'm following your logic, if I can get by with just doing touch ups instead of full blown cleaning and sanding every year ... I will be happy.

H20skeefreek
12-13-2004, 07:51 PM
Isn't Cetol a bit different than varnish? I used West Marine's Wood Pro (similar to Cetol) two years ago and the platform is looking pretty good. No matter how much I cleaned, sanded, and oiled I couldn't get my platform to stay nice looking. With the Wood Pro it stays looking pretty good. There is a photo in my profile. The only issue is where the skis have scraped it off, but a spot sand, clean and reaaplication has it looking nice. Even if I have to totally sand and reapply in a couple of years it'll still be a lot easier than cleaning and oiling teak every year.

more than being kinda like cetol, it is cetol, but you didn't hear that from me. how slick is it?

DanC
12-13-2004, 08:03 PM
We must have some sort of stupid termites here in California that don't know teak tastes bad. I left a "fat sack" on my platform for a week on the side of my house. When I picked up the sack it had trapped moisture underneath, between it and the sack. There were three termites and two had drilled two little 1/16 inch holes in the teak. They didn't live long enough to tell their buddies. :rant:

sfitzgerald351
12-13-2004, 08:13 PM
more than being kinda like cetol, it is cetol, but you didn't hear that from me. how slick is it?

I was thinking it was going to be real slick and put some monster grit in the 2nd to last coat. Monster grit is basically little silica beads to provide a little roughness. However, I'd say it was unessesary. The Wood Pro / Cetol is a lot less slick than an oiled platform.

I didn't touch it up after the end of last season and did notice that you can't simply slap on some more if you've worn it off down to bare wood (e.g. skis sliding off the end) and the wood has dried out... you do need to clean / prep that little spot. But if you don't need it to be 'perfect' you can just hit it again after a quick clean and it looks fine, though not exactly the same color as the rest. Since I believe in using the platform (that's why it's there instead of a ladder like on the really old inboards) I figure that as long as it looks good and isn't a pain to take care of it's fine with me.

sully
03-25-2005, 02:11 PM
Here is my platform all done. I after completely disassembling my platform and having new pieces made here are the results.
http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1016&sort=1&cat=500&page=1
http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1017&sort=1&size=medium&cat=500&page=1

roddydog
03-25-2005, 02:32 PM
Nice job on the platform! Are the new pieces teak also?

dmac
03-25-2005, 02:34 PM
Real nice work.

jsonova99
03-25-2005, 02:35 PM
Here is my platform all done. I after completely disassembling my platform and having new pieces made here are the results.
http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1016&sort=1&cat=500&page=1
http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1017&sort=1&size=medium&cat=500&page=1

Where did you get pieces made at, I have two cracked pieces on mine that I'd like to replace if possible. Is it expensive?

sully
03-25-2005, 02:35 PM
roddydog,
Thanks! You are correct, all the new pieces are teak.

sully
03-25-2005, 02:41 PM
jsonova99,
The wood cost me about 140.00, that was enough wood for both sides. My cousin cut them out and I did all the drilling and counter sinking of the holes.

94PS190
04-08-2005, 10:44 AM
I used Cetol on my last boat (ski supreme) and it worked fine. I sanded it clean applied a base coat or two then put a gloss coat on top. Things were still loioking good two yrs later when I sold it.

jake
04-08-2005, 11:53 AM
jsonova99,
The wood cost me about 140.00, that was enough wood for both sides. My cousin cut them out and I did all the drilling and counter sinking of the holes.

$140.00 seems really high for the two new end parts. I built an entire new platform for about $160 (pic attached). Where did you buy it?

sully
04-08-2005, 08:04 PM
Jake,
That platform looks awesome. I tried to get teak from Lake Elmo Wood Specialties. I had gotton some there in the past to make my transom saver, but they stopped carrying it. They suggested Rocklers in Maplewood and they had it. Do you know where I can get it cheaper in the Twin Cities? I would love to know for future projects.
:cool:

OHIOPRO205
04-08-2005, 10:10 PM
I would like to know if after you took the platform all apart, did the screws tighten back up like before?

NeilM
04-08-2005, 11:04 PM
Looks fantastic, Sully... I need to get at mine..

jake
04-12-2005, 12:12 PM
Jake,
That platform looks awesome. I tried to get teak from Lake Elmo Wood Specialties. I had gotton some there in the past to make my transom saver, but they stopped carrying it. They suggested Rocklers in Maplewood and they had it. Do you know where I can get it cheaper in the Twin Cities? I would love to know for future projects.
:cool:

Sully: I like Rockler, one of my favorite stores, but they are on the high side for exotics. I buy all my hardwood at Youngblood on Central in North Minneapolis. They have a great selection of exotics, and their rates are much cheaper than a retail store such as Rockler.

Youngblood Lumber Co
(612) 789-3521 1335 Central Ave NE
Minneapolis, MN

Where do you ski at?

sully
04-18-2005, 09:19 PM
Jake,
Thanks for the heads up Youngblood Lumber Co.
I ski mostly on the St. Croix River, close to home. Great to go to during the week, but on week-ends you need to go really yearly or late.
How about yourself?

jake
04-19-2005, 09:33 AM
We ski on a private lake in White Bear Lake with the Ski-Otters ski club. It's pretty tight, just big enough to get a course on, but private is the key. Where about's are u? You should come over to the ski lake with us some time...email me at jacobson_jake@yahoo.com. Maybe we can hook up for a pull this summer.

erkoehler
05-06-2005, 02:00 PM
$140.00 seems really high for the two new end parts. I built an entire new platform for about $160 (pic attached). Where did you buy it?

Dude, that platform looks awesome. Post some pictures after a couple trips to the lake. I am interested to see how it holds up.