PDA

View Full Version : Cracked exhaust manifold

darule336
10-15-2006, 02:51 PM
We had a little accident with my boat this year. we didn't get it winterized till today, and it got cold enough to crack the exhaust manifold on both sides. so when i went to pump antifreeze through the system it came out the exhaust manifolds. i need help!!! What to do

Dan K
10-15-2006, 03:35 PM
only thing you really can do is replace them. SkIDIM has them I know. Pretty easy to replace. If both cracked I would also check you block and heads pretty good to see if 1 they are also cracked or 2 if the "freeze" plugs went on them. They are not really freeze plugs but I leave others to chime in on that.

BriEOD
10-15-2006, 03:43 PM
First relax. It's an easy fix. Just replace the one you have. DIM has them for about $180. If they are original they are probably due anyway. Where is the crack? Is it around the water jacket?

You can get a set of allen heads that go on a ratchet and take the 8 bolts out. First, loosen the hose clamp that holds the exaust hose onto the riser. Remove the hose off of the riser. Then use the allen/socket and remove all 8 bolts. I recommend using a floor jacket (or someone to help you) to hold that manifold up while you remove the bolts. It is pretty heavy. Remove the maifold and riser and then seperate the riser from the mainfold (4 bolts). Put the riser on the new manifold with a new riser gasket. Then put the new manifold and riser back onto the motor. Get all 8 bolts on the manifold started and then install the gasket. It is two hard to line up the bolts and gasket otherwise. Install the hose back on the riser, tighten the clamp and you are all set. The only way this gets complicated is if those 8 bolt heads have any damage (happened to me and I had to use an easy out). Should be no more than an hour.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R028001

André
10-15-2006, 04:44 PM
First relax. It's an easy fix. Just replace the one you have. DIM has them for about $180. If they are original they are probably due anyway. Where is the crack? Is it around the water jacket?

You can get a set of allen heads that go on a ratchet and take the 8 bolts out. First, loosen the hose clamp that holds the exaust hose onto the riser. Remove the hose off of the riser. Then use the allen/socket and remove all 8 bolts. I recommend using a floor jacket (or someone to help you) to hold that manifold up while you remove the bolts. It is pretty heavy. Remove the maifold and riser and then seperate the riser from the mainfold (4 bolts). Put the riser on the new manifold with a new riser gasket. Then put the new manifold and riser back onto the motor. Get all 8 bolts on the manifold started and then install the gasket. It is two hard to line up the bolts and gasket otherwise. Install the hose back on the riser, tighten the clamp and you are all set. The only way this gets complicated is if those 8 bolt heads have any damage (happened to me and I had to use an easy out). Should be no more than an hour.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R028001
Brieod
Should he drain the manifold first?:D