PDA

View Full Version : boat turning right??

dgoulet
10-15-2006, 02:29 PM
i heard from someone that if you dont hold the steering wheel the boat should automatically be turning right because if the driver falls asleep the boat will simply do circles. is that true?

bigmac
10-15-2006, 02:32 PM
i heard from someone that if you dont hold the steering wheel the boat should automatically be turning right because if the driver falls asleep the boat will simply do circles. is that true?

No. You're thinking of Jet Ski's. Ski boats are designed to pull to the right to provide steering tension and allow a driver to hold a steadier course through a slalom course. For those of us that have no interest in driving through a slalom course, the rudder can be lightly filed to allow the boat to go straight with hands off the wheel.

kazzapped
10-15-2006, 11:01 PM
No. You're thinking of Jet Ski's. Ski boats are designed to pull to the right to provide steering tension and allow a driver to hold a steadier course through a slalom course. For those of us that have no interest in driving through a slalom course, the rudder can be lightly filed to allow the boat to go straight with hands off the wheel.

how do you do that? whats the rubber

88 PS190
10-16-2006, 12:12 AM
how do you do that? whats the rubber

The rudder...

bigmac
10-16-2006, 09:25 AM
how do you do that? whats the rubberThe helm on our boats isn't spring-loaded or anything, the pull to the right (or left) is based entirely on the rudder, so the pull can be neutralized by modifying the rudder. Be aware that a little modification to the rudder goes a long way. Look at this post in East Tx Skier's FAQ (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=107070&postcount=12). Use a hand file not a powered grinder, and be very careful - only file a little at a time and water test in between.

BrianM
10-16-2006, 09:32 AM
Here is a picture of my rudder that is filed. I filed mine so it would pull even more to the right. You can just see it along the trailing edge. If you want to eliminate the pull you would want to do the opposite side and probably not as much. What you see on mine increased the pull about 2 fold. It really helps tracking in the course.

kazzapped
10-17-2006, 12:58 AM
i guess it wouldve helped to understand if i read it right (rudder instead for some reason reading it rubber)

H20skeefreek
10-17-2006, 08:31 AM
Yeah, you don't want to file the rubber, they aren't as tough and you'll get holes in it, plus depending on what you put it on while filing, it could really hurt.

TMCNo1
10-17-2006, 12:10 PM
oops, double post.

Check to see if you have 2 holes now that you double posted!:rolleyes: :D Fawow, fwap, fwap, fwap, you don't want a blow out!

nuckinfutz
10-17-2006, 01:55 PM
I have to say guys... As many times as I have seen this question pop up... You still answer it well.

Way to go team!!