PDA

View Full Version : How do you fog the horizonal mounted intake? ('01 LTR)

beatle78
10-14-2006, 03:42 PM
Hi guys,

I just bought the Clymer Indmar repair manual and it says I should drain the tank, mix 26 oz. of fogging oil in 2 gallons of gas and run that through the enging until it strats to smoke.......

is there an easier way?:confused:

Thanks,
beatle78

TMCNo1
10-14-2006, 06:08 PM
I would guess put that mixture in a near empty gas tank and after it starts smoking and you shut it off, go fill up the tank with fresh gas after adding the right amount of Sta-Bil or SeaFoam.
Or,
Spray the mixture into the intake with a garden sprayer or a solvent resistant pump sprayer!

beatle78
10-14-2006, 09:27 PM
thanks TMC1..... I'm wondering why they don't recommend spraying the fogging oil into the intake like other engines... i wonder what's different in the horizontal mounted intake that they suggest it.....

they don't say to do that on any other of their engines... hmmmm

I guess I don't mind doing it.... plus I've always used Marvery mystery oil [great stuff] insted of fogging fluid anyway.....

TMCNo1
10-14-2006, 10:10 PM
MMO is just as good as long as you get some type oil mixture into the intake where it gets to the valves/cylinder walls, no matter what style induction system you have. I have both MMO and Sta-Bil ready to put in my tank now before our last trip out.

Leroy
10-14-2006, 11:39 PM
Maybe enginenut can clarify, that sounds like a painful process. I've always taken off the spark arrestor and sprayed fogging mist into there.

Also 01 ltr.

beatle78
10-15-2006, 08:28 PM
That's what I would have preferred to do....spray and be done with it.... actually on mt '01 BU Carbed, I pour Marvery Mystry Oil in the carb for winterization :) ... you can't beat that stuff!!

I'm trying to figure out why Clymer says to do the tank thing on the front mounted intakes GRRRR....

what do they know, that I don't know?

etakk7
10-17-2006, 09:02 AM
I sprayed into the intake - took off air filter obviously. Used Stabil fogging oil. 2000 LTR

beatle78
10-17-2006, 04:04 PM
ok. I bought a can of CRC fogging oil.... I'll do what you did etakk7.....

were you able to get the engine to smoke pretty good?

beatle78
10-18-2006, 02:29 PM
update, see this thread.... someone told him that fogging oil in the intake of MPI engines is bad for the injectors.....

http://tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=12334

I may just play it safe and do the gas/fogging oil thing.... what a pain...

Engine Nut
10-25-2006, 09:05 AM
Stabilize the fuel in the tank with Sta-bil and remove the flame arrestor and squirt the fogging oil through the throttle body. The method that Clymers recommends is most often done by mixing up a gasoline oil mixture in a 6 gallon outboard motor tank and attaching it to the inlet of the fuel pump. Unfortunately they are probably not aware that most MasterCraft boats have pump in tank. You have to be careful with the info in the Clymers as some of it is pretty generic and some of it is just plain wrong.

Engine Nut

Workin' 4 Toys
10-25-2006, 09:37 AM
I've used seafoam for fuel "storage" and Marvel's mystery oil to fog on several small engines, never in a boat. However, I can't see anything wrong with it.

That MMO is great stuff, but it is a mystery to me what's inside...:rolleyes:

NeilM
10-25-2006, 10:48 AM
Stabilize the fuel in the tank with Sta-bil and remove the flame arrestor and squirt the fogging oil through the throttle body. The method that Clymers recommends is most often done by mixing up a gasoline oil mixture in a 6 gallon outboard motor tank and attaching it to the inlet of the fuel pump. Unfortunately they are probably not aware that most MasterCraft boats have pump in tank. You have to be careful with the info in the Clymers as some of it is pretty generic and some of it is just plain wrong.

Engine Nut

Engine nut:
Problem with the LTR (in a V-Drive) is that the air intake is in an absolutely-awful-knuckle-skinning-pointing-downward-positon behind the seatback. There's no flame arrestor sitting on top of the block, as one would expect. It's a challenge to get fogging oil up there -- I use a spray can with a long plastic 'straw' and do the best I can..

If anyone has any better ideas, I'd love to hear them...

beatle78
10-27-2006, 11:07 AM
Engine Nut,

They described 2 cases in Clymer's. 1 You described above. 2. They described mixing the gas and putting it directly in the tank for tank mounted pumps.... (drain the gas down to ~ a gallon (not an exact science), mix 2 gallons of gas with 26 oz liquid fogging oil... put that in the tank and run the engine until it starts to smoke..... then just fill up the tank....