PDA

View Full Version : Inground Pools

6ballsisall
10-14-2006, 11:43 AM
The wife wants an inground pool in our next home. I/we know absolutely nothing about these things. Are they expensive to upkeep? What kind of things do you have to do to them continually? Feed me advice peeps! School me with your knowledge.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
10-14-2006, 11:54 AM
:D Pool care 101 is about to begin brutha!

I would say $150 to $200 a year in chemicals for upkeep. not sure about energy costs as I have never calculated them. I keep my pool SUPER clean. I open it as early as I can to start circulating it. I really have it down to a science now. Its not difficult. You just need some patience, and a bit of time. YOu need to keep the chlorine, PH, total alkalinity levels in check to maintain a good clean pool. Total alkalinity is KEY to pool management. if you have that right, the rest is MUCH easier to handle. most people make their mistake there. you need to keep algecide, and a mineral fighter in there too, so you dont have a frog pond with lilypads, and your pipes dont get all glogged with mineral deposits. keep it vacuumed, and your gold!:D

any questions JR?

6ballsisall
10-14-2006, 11:56 AM
:D Pool care 101 is about to begin brutha!

I would say $150 to $200 a year in chemicals for upkeep. not sure about energy costs as I have never calculated them. I keep my pool SUPER clean. I open it as early as I can to start circulating it. I really have it down to a science now. Its not difficult. You just need some patience, and a bit of time. YOu need to keep the chlorine, PH, total alkalinity levels in check to maintain a good clean pool. Total alkalinity is KEY to pool management. if you have that right, the rest is MUCH easier to handle. most people make their mistake there. you need to keep algecide, and a mineral fighter in there too, so you dont have a frog pond with lilypads, and your pipes dont get all glogged with mineral deposits. keep it vacuumed, and your gold!:D

any questions JR?

hmmmmmm..............given I have the patience of a 1 year old I wonder what a pool management company would cost to take care of it????

kycat2007
Jeff I think cleaning is the main thing. You really have to keep on top of the PH levels and the chlorine levels. If the pool starts to turn green it can take some time to get it back to clear. I have heard about problems with the filters breaking and needing maint. You can get those cleaners that work by themselves. They just run over the bottom and keep sucking up the dirt. Pools just take time.

stevo137
The wife wants an inground pool in our next home. I/we know absolutely nothing about these things. Are they expensive to upkeep? What kind of things do you have to do to them continually? Feed me advice peeps! School me with your knowledge.
Inground pool! J, you're going to have the ultimate pool in your back yard, A LAKE!
Anyway, three of my neighbors have them and one of them never even opens his up. My next door neighbor complains about the cost and upkeep, and the other one finally repaired theirs after many years of neglect. It seems like after the novelty wears off, they don't use them much although some people in the neighborhood have them and seem to use them frequently. We decided to have ours excavated and filled in due to the fact that it was neglected by the previous owners. Also, the kids were much younger then and we didn't like the idea of an inground with young kids.
If we were to have one, it would be a nice above ground.
I would have one if we had a longer season.

6ballsisall
10-14-2006, 11:58 AM
Do the southerners winterize theirs or do they go year round? Whats it take to winterize one?

Steveo, I agree, but you know the saying, if momma ain't happy, aint no one happy.......:rolleyes:

TMCNo1
10-14-2006, 11:59 AM
Only with a ramp and a Mastercraft will fit in it!

stevo137
10-14-2006, 12:04 PM
Steveo, I agree, but you know the saying, if momma ain't happy, aint no one happy.......:rolleyes:
Hear ya' man! We do have times when we think it would be nice to still have it but overall, I would get much more use out of a nice big hot tub.

10-14-2006, 12:06 PM
Do the southerners winterize theirs or do they go year round? Whats it take to winterize one?

OK, winterizing is a breeze. Drain pool to below return lines, then Supershock with chlorine and give a double dose of algecide. circulate for 6 hours, then shut off filter. drain water from return lines and leave lines open. then take a shop vac on "blow" and blow the lines free of water using the vacuum. then do this with the skimmer also. once free of water, then pour pink antifreeze(the safe RV kind) in the skimmer, and return lines. then make SURE pink antifreeze reaches the drains, and flows pink at the drain, then you KNOW your good. then cap the lines, and skimmer and pur more antifreeze in skimmer. put a empty milk jug in skimmer for safety(freeze plug). remove light, and wrap in garbage bag. cover pool for winter. thats about it.

stevo137
10-14-2006, 12:08 PM
Well there ya' go! UMP really enjoys his and knows his stuff. ;)

6ballsisall
10-14-2006, 12:09 PM
UMP you are a wealth of knowledge! Thanks!

I am surprised up in your part of the world anyone has pools! Does the ground ever un-thaw up there???

10-14-2006, 12:35 PM
UMP you are a wealth of knowledge! Thanks!

I am surprised up in your part of the world anyone has pools! Does the ground ever un-thaw up there???
There are a few days in mid august that there is no frost in the ground;)

Yea, I have learned alot about the pool. My dad taught me. :) I even know how to change liners on them as we did that once. See, the liners only are supposed to last a max of 8-10 years, but we got 19 yrs out of my parents first liner. We replaced it ourselves. big job, but it went well. I can do anything, I am yooper, hear me roar!:D

6ballsisall
10-14-2006, 12:47 PM
So is Gunnite the way to go or is a liner a good thing???

6ballsisall
10-14-2006, 12:53 PM
Ok scratch that (about the pool management company) Just realized I don't want a "POOL BOY" coming to my house while I am at work!!!!!!!
Now if it was a "POOL GIRL" I'd have a pool next week :D Course I'd have to find a "work from home" job. :rolleyes:

X2M
10-14-2006, 12:56 PM
Another thing for you think about is the surface of the pool. Plaster or PebbleTec.

We just had our pool resurfaced. Went from plaster to PebbleTec. The plaster will last about 5-10 years and the PebbleTec will last a life time. The downside to the PebbleTec is the cost...double of what plaster is.

Bottom color is something to think about too. I dont know what your summer temps are like there. The darker the bottom of the pool the warmer the water temp.

:)

6ballsisall
10-14-2006, 12:58 PM
X2, what do you mean by the surface?? Pics??

Archimedes
10-14-2006, 01:15 PM
Designed mine, helped build it, maintained it for two years, and...was happy to leave it in my rearview. My advice is find a good pool man and pay him to maintain it, because, if you want to do it right, it's a lot of work, particularly if you're in an area where the water is very hard. Scrubbing gunite all the time, fighting to keep the ph levels right, backwashing the filter, especially doing all that in the winter, is a big headache. Pay someone else to do it.

The other advice I'd get is ask around, find the BEST pool company in town, and have them build it. The difference in quality between the pool builders can be huge. And do a lot or research on different materials, as you have a lot of choice. They all have pros and cons.

Also, don't forget that about the coping and deck work around the pool. Gotta get that right as well and that's often where a lot of the $ goes.

10-14-2006, 01:17 PM
I dont think its that big a of deal to maintain it......Hmmm.. it doesnt take me but 2 hours a week to keep a sparkling clean pool.

Archimedes
10-14-2006, 01:24 PM
Geez, it took me that long just to scoop the rats outta my filter baskets every week...

6ballsisall
10-14-2006, 01:25 PM
I dont think its that big a of deal to maintain it......Hmmm.. it doesnt take me but 2 hours a week to keep a sparkling clean pool.

hmmmmmm................. 2hours a week?????? Ok that made up my mind......either a community pool will suffice or we hire it done. I spend 2 hours a week cleaning my boat, not taking an additional 2 hours a week to clean something else........:rolleyes:

Mag_Red
10-14-2006, 01:29 PM
One question Jeff............where on that lot do you think a pool will fit???:D

6ballsisall
10-14-2006, 01:31 PM
One question Jeff............where on that lot do you think a pool will fit???:D

You have to have vision Bob!!! Hey I got your vmail just now. Let me get some phone #'s for you and I'll get back to you this weekend. ;)

Mag_Red
10-14-2006, 01:35 PM
A zero edge pool would be a no brainer on that lot.......but you should go with your original plan of developing your own lake......that way you can have the house you really need, a pool thst will integrate into the landscape, and your private course. But that's just me;)

Workin' 4 Toys
10-14-2006, 05:46 PM

UMP, do you have an INground Pool?

Has anyone ever told you how to get an inground pool to pop out of the ground:eek: ...?

Workin' 4 Toys
10-14-2006, 05:49 PM
The inside of the pool surface is "lined" with.....

X2M
10-14-2006, 06:52 PM

Here is a before picture of the pool with the white plaster surface.

X2M
10-14-2006, 06:56 PM
Here is a picture of the pool after the resurfacing with the Wet Edge Technologies Pearl Matrix.

http://www.wetedgetechnologies.com/pearl_matrix.htm

10-14-2006, 07:10 PM
UMP, do you have an INground Pool?

Has anyone ever told you how to get an inground pool to pop out of the ground:eek: ...?
Yes, inground pool.

BriEOD
10-14-2006, 08:17 PM
We have a kidney shaped pool. It is gunite with the pebble tec surface. The pool area has a screened enclosure around it. We pay about $60/month for a pool service. The pool is heated and we swim year round. My kitchen/family room has a a 3 sectioned pocket slider which opens up onto the pool area and makes a gigantic area to entertain.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-14-2006, 11:48 PM
Geez Bri, what would Gene think, you braggin'?? ;) It's looks like it vacuums itself too....:rolleyes:

Leroy
10-15-2006, 12:20 AM
I want UMP to do my chemicals! I spend about $800/year in chemicals, I think it is 32,000 gallon pool. More gallons more chemicals. We have vinyl liner and pretty easy to take care of. To winterize I wait unit it cools off and then use 45 gallons of RV antifreeze pouring in each pipe until you see pink come out in the pool. Take out all hardware, filter, drain heater, shock pool and turn off. In spring it is almost as easy as turn as put in filter and turn on pump.

For chemicals takes about 15 minutes once a week to measure and apply chemicals. I would do the service at BriEOD's rate of $60/month, it is around $50/week here.

erkoehler
10-15-2006, 12:51 AM
Cool pics guys....UMP, where's your pool? I want a recent pic of it :)

kpgotgame
10-15-2006, 06:09 AM
Here is my opinion Jeff

I find that peoples opinions on pool care depends on their level of use. People who use there pools a lot feel that the care is no big deal others find it a burden. My pool (inground) had an automatic chlorinator which works great once you get your levels dialed in. My yard was well protected and I therefore only needed to vacuum about once every two weeks, which is way below average. I always had my pool closed for me for about $140 however we opened it ourselves. We have two boys under 6ys therefore we bought a safety cover, which we left on at all times. You can walk out to the middle of the pool on top of the cover, took just under 10min to take it off. (cost was around $1700). Just about everything can be automated if you are willing to pay for it.
We did not use our pool very often, however the people that bought our house use the pool every day and love it.

What do you think the replies would be like in regards to boat maintenance from people who don't love their boats. My advice - be sure you want and will use your pool - if so you will probably love having it.

TMCNo1
10-15-2006, 07:41 AM
UMP had sent me this picture of him and the Mrs.2B,

BriEOD
10-15-2006, 09:24 AM
Geez Bri, what would Gene think, you braggin'?? ;) It's looks like it vacuums itself too....:rolleyes:
Good point. :D

michael freeman
10-15-2006, 09:42 AM
Hear ya' man! We do have times when we think it would be nice to still have it but overall, I would get much more use out of a nice big hot tub.

I second this idea. I would like to put in a pool but I think it would get old after a while. A big hot tub will give me 80-90% of what people do in a pool. (sit in it or around it, float on top of it, or just get wet and come out again.) I don't see very many people swim very long in a pool save for kids playing games, and that doesn't last too long.

All my friends had pools growing up and I had a pool table. I always wanted to go swiming, they always wanted to play pool. The grass is always greener...

BriEOD
10-15-2006, 09:47 AM
Leroy,

You have a beautiful home. You obviously have done very well for yourself through the years.

__________________________________________________ __________

I cannot keep my kids out of the pool. They use it almost every day. Even my two year old loves it. We swim with them or cook something on the Big Green Egg and watch.

10-15-2006, 12:20 PM
Leroy, my pool is 20,000 gal. I only use 3 to 4 gal of antifreeze every year. but remember, I use a shop vac to blow the lines clear of water first. so they are empty, then I add the antifreeze as a safety measure. Now, as far as the chemicals, I use only what I need to. I dont over treat the pool. The KEY to pool management, as you probably know is proper total alkalinity. if your total alkalinity is kept at the proper level, the rest is a breeze. that being the case, you dont need nearly as much chlorine, algecide, clarifier, etc.... So I watch the total alkalinity like a hawk. If your total alk is not right, your ph bounces, and is very hard to manage, and then it causes the water to eat sanitizer like crazy. My dad taught me how to properly manage a pool as he has done it for years. He has friends that were always amazed with how little chemicals he used to maintain a beautiful, sparkling clean pool. It just takes some patience and a bit of knowledge. Alot of people spike the he11 out of their chlorine level figuring that will solve everything, the fact is you dont need much. You only need to keep the chlorine at 1.0 to 1.5 PPM on a regular basis, and then the period shock treatment.

I have a few tips that might help you.(maybe you already use them). when you have a high use day(like a kids pool party), that will reduce your free chlorine level. BEFORE the party, add an extra chlorine tablet in the skimmer basket, AND/OR at night, when the swimming is done, throw a cup full of granulated chlorine in the skimmer basket. not enough for a "shock" treatment, but enough to restore the free chorline back to where it should be, and then keep the usual amount of tablets in the basket. This will help keep things constant. You get into problems when your chlorine is wiped out, thats when you have to really shock it to get things "back into whack". then it can snowball on you and require algecide, clarifier, etc... another thing, you can use regular baking soda as soda ash if you wish, but if your total alkalinity is getting too high, then you need to use PH+ instead, but once your alkalinity is balanced, you can use store bought baking soda to manage PH. its much cheaper than PH+.

BTW, I will post some pics tomarrow, I have some on my computer at work.

Leroy
10-15-2006, 01:26 PM
I try UMP, I try to keep my cl at ~1.0 and have a nature's balance system on it also (kit that allows you to run cl at 0.5-1.0 safely). I do shock once a week with 4 scoops of lithium hypocloride. I'm constantly adding pH+ as my ph wants to go to 7.2 or lower. Normally add 8 oz of algicide per week.

I do have kids in half the days of the week or more during the summer.

What is the difference in total alkalinity and ph?

On mine if I blow the lines out it would just pour back in until they filled up again, I don't lower mine per pool company.

10-15-2006, 01:39 PM
Leroy, read this stuff about Total Alkalinity (TA). As I said before, TA is KEYto proper pool management. if your TA is where its supposed to be, the rest is a cake walk. Its not difficult to do this, you just need to test for it. Get a pool test kit that does TA tests. It takes about 5 minutes to test TA. again, if you have low PH, you can use regular baking soda to raise it, but that will also affect your TA, if you need to raise TA WITHOUT affecting PH, then you need to use PH+ as it doesnt affect PH levels very much. read the link below. I know I sound like a broken record, but if you have this TA level correct for your type of pool, managing the other chemicals form there is so much easier. Trust me, I learned the easy way, and the hard way.

http://www.havuz.org/pool_pool/pool_maintenance/water_testing/total_alkalinity.htm

BTW, I have several friends that have alot of problems maintaining a nice clean hot tub too. I employ the same ideas to my hot tub and its sparkling clean all the time. The only difference is the hot tub temperature is considrable higher temperature than a swimming pool, so you need to watch things closer as things can get "out of whack" faster and much easier. Its like in the spring and fall, I can manage the pool much easier as the water is colder. ( the molecules are moving much slower in colder water and much faster in warmer water, remember taht from high school chemistry? ) I see many people using these high priced chemical systems and failing. They dont like the stuff like Bacquaspa or whatever its called. I find its much easier and cleaner to use a bromine base system in a hot tub, its cheaper and it works great. (again, learned from Dad). its not difficult to do. It can take some experimentation, but the best part about a hot tub is, if you screw up, you can drain it easily and start over, you cant really do that with a pool that easliy.

Leroy
10-15-2006, 05:30 PM
That is on the report I get from my local pool shop and normally is ok, will have to look at this more carefully.

My shop talks about free clorine which I don't understand either..... the normal home kit only measures total chlorine, not free chlorine.....

BriEOD
10-15-2006, 06:19 PM
Anyone have the salt water pump?

10-15-2006, 06:20 PM
salt water pump???? Whatchoo talkin bout???

BriEOD
10-15-2006, 07:38 PM
http://phoenix.about.com/cs/wet/a/saltpool01.htm

tex
10-15-2006, 08:28 PM
Carl Spackler: This place got a pool?
Ty Webb: Pool and a pond... Pond be good for you.

BriEOD
10-15-2006, 09:04 PM
It's OK. It's just a Baby Ruth.

Leroy
10-15-2006, 09:23 PM
BriEOD, I've had a few lucky breaks, wish I had your inside pool as I'm winterizing mine this week most likely.

BriEOD
10-15-2006, 09:40 PM
BriEOD, I've had a few lucky breaks, wish I had your inside pool as I'm winterizing mine this week most likely.
Leroy,

It is just a screened enclosure. It is not fully enclosed. Bascially, it keeps the mosquitos out. It is nice on days like today. It was in the 60s when I got up and I opened up the pocket sliders and turned off the a/c.

Stritt
10-15-2006, 09:57 PM
22,000 gallon pool for us, $24.00 for chemical every 2 weeks plus the chroline tabs...Is it alot of work, yes....its even more work when you leave on a business trip and come home to the dreaded algae bloom, I know this because I spent about 3 hours today, shocking and brushing....

Brian, today was a beautiful day, still have the doors and windows open here in Orlando.

BriEOD
10-15-2006, 10:08 PM
Brian, today was a beautiful day, still have the doors and windows open here in Orlando.
I concur. I got open at abot 7 am and opened the entire house up.

Ric
10-16-2006, 12:43 AM
Leroy,

It is just a screened enclosure. It is not fully enclosed. Bascially, it keeps the mosquitos out. It is nice on days like today. It was in the 60s when I got up and I opened up the pocket sliders and turned off the a/c.bri, can you post a pic of the pocket sliders? I want to see how they work/look..

Ric
10-16-2006, 12:46 AM
ump, you are the perfect personality for a pool owner on the Canadian border... I don't have a pool, my Dad's got a nice pool and I swear he bought the place just to entice us to bring the kids often
There is no such thing as winterizing here (anybody who winterizes a boat here may as well rename it "nonusize")
It appears that pops does no more than set the pool sweep to run twice daily, keep some chlorine tablets in the skimmer(?) and shock it from time to time when we get alot of rain.... he makes it look easy

10-16-2006, 09:24 AM
Alright Erk, heres the picture you wanted. its covered for winter now, but this is what it looks like.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/guitarzan1972/pool3.jpg

ntidsl
10-16-2006, 09:27 AM
jeff, heres my question...you have to sell your boat to buy the house and now you have money for a pool??? what gives??? are you going to start playing golf too?

BrianM
10-16-2006, 09:36 AM
jeff, heres my question... are you going to start playing golf too?
Now that's just being ugly. :rolleyes:

ntidsl
10-16-2006, 09:40 AM
golf seems to bea bad word on the forum huh...sorry jeff...you know I'm just gonna keep poking at you until you come over and ski, with a ski on your foot, with me...I need a driver!!!

hey brian, you ready to buy this boat yet?

BrianM
10-16-2006, 09:44 AM

Like I keep saying. Next year. Why do you want to get rid of it? You got all of the problems worked out didn't you? You just need to break it in for me another season.

Leroy
10-16-2006, 10:00 AM
Beautiful UMP!

Alright Erk, heres the picture you wanted. its covered for winter now, but this is what it looks like.

6ballsisall
10-16-2006, 10:15 AM
golf seems to bea bad word on the forum huh...sorry jeff...you know I'm just gonna keep poking at you until you come over and ski, with a ski on your foot, with me...I need a driver!!!

dude I might this week. We'll see.......I did something to my elbow this weekend, going to the doc today. It's so freakin stiff it puts me in tears just to move it. At the least, I can drive as it's not my throttle arm. :D

ntidsl
10-16-2006, 10:20 AM
bummer about the elbow...mine is in so much pain it feels like its on fire...skiing is killing me but it sure is fun...

TMCNo1
10-16-2006, 10:21 AM

UMP, that's nice! We are all proud of you, except Gene!:rolleyes: :D

SD190EVO
10-16-2006, 12:18 PM
One note a about getting a service. My sister and I both have inground pools in our respective homes (hers in Irvine CA, mine in Denver CO). She has a guy come out once a week and keeps it perfect for $50 a month. That same level of service in Denver is $350 per month!!! Needless to say, I do it myself.

EDIT - I believe she has to buy her chems and the guy uses them - the $350 Denver quote includes chems.

Political Rant - I think this is why our politicians seem to like the open boarder, so they can keep their pools clean for less.

Leroy
10-16-2006, 12:24 PM
I think that is why BriEOD in Florida gets a cheap rate and I think it is $150 -$200/month in Indiana, so I also do my own!

One note a about getting a service. My sister and I both have inground pools in our respective homes (hers in Irvine CA, mine in Denver CO). She has a guy come out once a week and keeps it perfect for $50 a month. That same level of service in Denver is $350 per month!!! Needless to say, I do it myself.

Ric
10-16-2006, 01:02 PM
Hey Gene.... I know you are lurking... I will be playing Golf Friday....

10-16-2006, 01:48 PM
Thats nuts that you have to pay that much. WOW! I should move to Colorado and go into the pool maint business. :cool: Its crazy! I spend about $200 a season on chems, and some of my time to vacuum it, and take care of the chems.

erkoehler
10-16-2006, 02:22 PM
UMP, that looks good :) Are you out there in the summer in your drysuit?

10-16-2006, 02:29 PM
UMP, that looks good :) Are you out there in the summer in your drysuit?
Ha ha! no, but the mayor got all drunked up one night when we had a party this summer, and he put his wetsuit and PFD on and dove in. Only the wetsuit and pfd arent conducive to diving. It was a hoot watching him pop back out of the water! that was funny! the mayor + alcohol always = laughs! I am sure my neighbors enjoyed that ruckus at 1:30 am too. :o

SD190EVO
10-16-2006, 02:31 PM
I know. I'm sure it is a PITA here though as you lose a lot of business in the layup season.

One other thing I felt worth mentioning is that unless you have kids to use the pool, it was not worth the maintenance IMO.

Our house had the pool when we purchased before we had our kids. I kept it up for the first two years and noticed I spent more time cleaning than swimming. I then closed it for 4 years while we had kids and let them get big enough to start swimming. They are 4 now and used it all the time this last season. Well worth it now.

erkoehler
10-16-2006, 02:43 PM
How long can you leave a pool "closed" before you start to run into more problems than its worth?

SD190EVO
10-16-2006, 02:46 PM
I was lucky because I had mine totally drained and my water table is so low I didnt have to worry about it popping up or heaving and breaking. (had it done that, I would have demoed it and imported the soil and I would have had a bigger yard).

Mine was just a big concrete skateboard park for 4 years but not every geography can get away with that.

wakesport
10-16-2006, 10:20 PM
Here's our pool before we open the cover after the winter.

wakesport
10-16-2006, 10:22 PM
Cover off.

wakesport
10-16-2006, 10:24 PM
Ready for use

BriEOD
10-16-2006, 10:27 PM
I think that is why BriEOD in Florida gets a cheap rate and I think it is $150 -$200/month in Indiana, so I also do my own!
Supply and demand here guys. I believe Florida has the highest amount of swimming pools of any state. Even though no part of Florida is further than about 60 miles from the Gulf/Ocean. Their are pool cleaning services all over the place. We pay $52 a month. That includes chemicals, a weekly cleaning of the pool and filter.

BriEOD
10-16-2006, 10:30 PM
bri, can you post a pic of the pocket sliders? I want to see how they work/look..
Yes, I'll get one up tomorrow when I have some daylight to take it.

Leroy
10-17-2006, 12:44 AM
You seem to be good friends with this funny Mayor. Is he a cousin or what?

Ha ha! no, but the mayor got all drunked up one night when we had a party this summer, and he put his wetsuit and PFD on and dove in. Only the wetsuit and pfd arent conducive to diving. It was a hoot watching him pop back out of the water! that was funny! the mayor + alcohol always = laughs! I am sure my neighbors enjoyed that ruckus at 1:30 am too. :o

Ric
10-17-2006, 01:18 AM
I honestly won't care if I buy a pool and I look at it more than use it
I think it makes for a beautiful backyard (especially at nite)

erkoehler
10-17-2006, 01:33 AM
Cover off.

How long to go from just uncovered to usable?

wakesport
10-17-2006, 09:04 AM
How long to go from just uncovered to usable?
one-two weeks

10-17-2006, 09:40 AM
You seem to be good friends with this funny Mayor. Is he a cousin or what?
Nah, just good freinds. we been friends since 2nd grade, Graduated high school together. I have a group of about 4 friends that are really good freinds. we all graduated together and we still are good friends. They all have familes now, but we all still hang out together, and their kids are all freinds too, so its really neat. The mayor is a blast! He is a laugh a minute! HIs wife really loves when he we get him drunk and convince him the right thing to do that particular evening is to light his farts on fire. His wife just cringes when he starts that. Its hilarious! One time last summer he had me laughing so hard when I was backing my boat into the garage I hit the damn garage!:eek: I told him is no longer allowed to ride in the truck when I am backing the boat in the garage. :purplaugh He says he needs to be "in the zone" to ski properly. He says he cant ski without beer. but he says he cant ski with too much beer also. he says the "zone" is beers 4 through 7. thats where he skis his best. The funny part is, he is so right. He skis like crap without any beer, very rigid and mechanical. just no good. 4 brews later, he rips it up nicely. beers 8 and beyond, well, thats when his skiing gets sloppy, funny to watch. he is a hoot!:uglyhamme I could tell yoos guys stories for hours. I think some of you will get to meet him next year.

TMCNo1
10-17-2006, 09:53 AM
Nah, just good freinds. we been friends since 2nd grade, Graduated high school together. I have a group of about 4 friends that are really good freinds. we all graduated together and we still are good friends. They all have familes now, but we all still hang out together, and their kids are all freinds too, so its really neat. The mayor is a blast! He is a laugh a minute! HIs wife really loves when he we get him drunk and convince him the right thing to do that particular evening is to light his farts on fire. His wife just cringes when he starts that. Its hilarious! One time last summer he had me laughing so hard when I was backing my boat into the garage I hit the damn garage!:eek: I told him is no longer allowed to ride in the truck when I am backing the boat in the garage. :purplaugh He says he needs to be "in the zone" to ski properly. He says he cant ski without beer. but he says he cant ski with too much beer also. he says the "zone" is beers 4 through 7. thats where he skis his best. The funny part is, he is so right. He skis like crap without any beer, very rigid and mechanical. just no good. 4 brews later, he rips it up nicely. beers 8 and beyond, well, thats when his skiing gets sloppy, funny to watch. he is a hoot!:uglyhamme I could tell yoos guys stories for hours. I think some of you will get to meet him next year.

How many beers will it take for him to get in the zone to be your Best Man in your and the MsUMP wedding. The reception will be a real hoot! Are you having any luck finding a tux with a SuperHero cape?:rolleyes:

Workin' 4 Toys
10-17-2006, 11:24 AM
I believe Florida has the highest amount of swimming pools of any state.
This is true.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-17-2006, 11:27 AM
The mayor is a blast! He is a laugh a minute! HIs wife really loves when he we get him drunk and convince him the right thing to do that particular evening is to light his farts on fire
Sounds like a great political candidate..... Are you sure he isn't running for governor here......:rolleyes:

Ric
10-17-2006, 12:03 PM
I want UMP to do my chemicals! I spend about $800/year in chemicals, I think it is 32,000 gallon pool. More gallons more chemicals. We have vinyl liner and pretty easy to take care of. To winterize I wait unit it cools off and then use 45 gallons of RV antifreeze pouring in each pipe until you see pink come out in the pool. Take out all hardware, filter, drain heater, shock pool and turn off. In spring it is almost as easy as turn as put in filter and turn on pump.

For chemicals takes about 15 minutes once a week to measure and apply chemicals. I would do the service at BriEOD's rate of $60/month, it is around $50/week here. Leroy, when are you going to get on that project of adding some square footage to the house?

Ric
10-17-2006, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriEOD
I believe Florida has the highest amount of swimming pools of any state.

This is true.

I believe louisiana is the Pelican State

10-17-2006, 12:19 PM
I believe louisiana is the Pelican State
Yes, frank I do believe louisiana is the Pelican State.

LakePirate
10-17-2006, 12:31 PM
Jeff - Back to your original question, here in the Georgia there is no need to winterize. If you run your pump year round and maintain chemicals it is supposedly cheaper than closing the pool and having to shock it. Especially since you would really only be closing it 4 months tops (Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb).

6ballsisall
10-17-2006, 07:41 PM
Jeff - Back to your original question, here in the Georgia there is no need to winterize. If you run your pump year round and maintain chemicals it is supposedly cheaper than closing the pool and having to shock it. Especially since you would really only be closing it 4 months tops (Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb).

Oh to be in the South!! Year round skiing and real round hangin in the pool! :cool:

10-17-2006, 08:24 PM
Sounds like a great political candidate..... Are you sure he isn't running for governor here......:rolleyes:
last time I checked....he is still running for re-election here.:) He works at the dealership I work at too, so that brings more laughs.

TMCNo1
10-17-2006, 08:56 PM
last time I checked....he is still running for re-election here.:) He works at the dealership I work at too, so that brings more laughs.

Don't tell me since the Mayor is a Politician and works at a Dealership, he is also Preacher? He would have all the bases covered!:uglyhamme :popcorn: :D

10-17-2006, 08:59 PM
Don't tell me since the Mayor is a Politician and works at a Dealership, he is also Preacher? He would have all the bases covered!
DUDE THATS HILARIOUS, HE ACTUALLY ISA MINISTER TOO!!!! He got ordained through that universal life church. He actually performs marriages too. FOR REAL! not as mayor either. OMG, thats so funny you said that harold!!!!:uglyhamme :uglyhamme :uglyhamme

TMCNo1
10-17-2006, 09:03 PM
DUDE THATS HILARIOUS, HE ACTUALLY ISA MINISTER TOO!!!! He got ordained through that universal life church. He actually performs marriages too. FOR REAL! not as mayor either. OMG, thats so funny you said that harold!!!!:uglyhamme :uglyhamme :uglyhamme

Marriages? Now YOU got all the bases covered!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10-17-2006, 09:12 PM
Marriages? Now YOU got all the bases covered!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:uglyhamme :uglyhamme :uglyhamme Oh I cant wait until Jrandol gets here.......:rolleyes:

6ballsisall
10-17-2006, 09:18 PM
Oh I cant wait until Jrandol gets here.......:rolleyes:

You rang??????????:D

10-17-2006, 09:20 PM
You rang??????????:D
Yea, I figured you would have had the wedding cake being baked by now once you saw Harold's post:purplaugh I knew you would sniff this thread out like a hound dog on a fox hunt!

6ballsisall
10-17-2006, 09:21 PM
Yea, I figured you would have had the wedding cake being baked by now once you saw Harold's post:purplaugh I knew you would sniff this thread out like a hound dog on a fox hunt!

Hey Tiffanys just called me. They have the misses ring ready and just waiting on you to bring theboat down for trade in.

The wife is a helluva a baker, I'll get her working on the wedding cake tonight. :cool:

Hoosier Bob
10-17-2006, 09:22 PM
Sorry to tune in so late but this is about a pool right? Your wife is not telling you she wants a pool Jeff. They are very high maintanence! Maybe more so than the wife! Go get her the pool boy she really wants and save yourself 30-40 grand!8p
Lakes Rick had a pool!
Hoosier

6ballsisall
10-17-2006, 09:24 PM
Sorry to tune in so late but this is about a pool right? Your wife is not telling you she wants a pool Jeff. They are very high maintanence! Maybe more so than the wife! Go get her the pool boy she really wants and save yourself 30-40 grand!

Yeah half way thru this thread it dawned on me.........:rolleyes:

Problem I see is that I am worth more dead than alive to her.......she'd be a millionaire without me so.........don't want her getting any wise ideas.

6ballsisall
10-17-2006, 09:27 PM
DUDE THATS HILARIOUS, HE ACTUALLY ISA MINISTER TOO!!!! He got ordained through that universal life church. He actually performs marriages too. FOR REAL! not as mayor either. OMG, thats so funny you said that harold!!!!

UMP you left yourself gapping WIDE OPEN here brutha.............:rolleyes:

Hmmmmm....... I am sure it wouldn't be hard to find the "Mayors" contact info. Perhaps we need to stage this wedding for you???

TMCNo1
10-17-2006, 09:29 PM
Sorry to tune in so late but this is about a pool right? Your wife is not telling you she wants a pool Jeff. They are very high maintanence! Maybe more so than the wife! Go get her the pool boy she really wants and save yourself 30-40 grand!8p
Lakes Rick had a pool!
Hoosier
Pools right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are all POOLING together to get UMP married off proper like. Kinda like a pot lunch dinner, everybody brung something, we don't know what it is or how it will taste, but the dinner will go on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:uglyhamme We will get UMP married off, but she may not be young, pretty, wealthy, but she will be concious!

erkoehler
10-17-2006, 09:30 PM
Jeff....you can't steal my line!

10-17-2006, 09:31 PM
UMP you left yourself gapping WIDE OPEN here brutha.............

Hmmmmm....... I am sure it wouldn't be hard to find the "Mayors" contact info. Perhaps we need to stage this wedding for you???
The only stage I am going to be on in the near future is one I am rocking out on with my guitar!:guitar: :headbang: :dance:

:D

6ballsisall
10-17-2006, 09:32 PM

UMP I'd be more careful about leaving yourself "open" like that. HB is on the board tonight you know........:D It's getting cold out, I doubt he's had the opportunity to go Portside lately. :D

10-17-2006, 09:32 PM
Whats that? "WANNA BUY A BOTE?":D

6ballsisall
10-17-2006, 09:33 PM
The only stage I am going to be on in the near future is one I am rocking out on with my guitar!:guitar:

:D

A impromtu wedding on stage could be arranged. :D

erkoehler
10-17-2006, 09:33 PM
UMP, I know of a guy looking for a early 90's 190....he is willing to pay up to 15k for the right boat.....interested?

That's one heck of a ring :)

6ballsisall
10-17-2006, 09:34 PM

Sorry Masta............:rolleyes: :D

erkoehler
10-17-2006, 09:34 PM
Whats that? "WANNA BUY A BOTE?":D

No...."you rang"

6ballsisall
10-17-2006, 09:35 PM
UMP, I know of a guy looking for a early 90's 190....he is willing to pay up to 15k for the right boat.....interested?

Go for it UMP!! Thats 5k for a ring and 10k to blow on a "bachelor" party. :D

UH, NEGATIVE GHOSTRIDER!:mad: :rolleyes: :noface:

6ballsisall
No...."you rang"

U give yourself to much credit young coffee drinker.:rolleyes:

10-17-2006, 09:36 PM
Go for it UMP!! Thats 5k for a ring and 10k to blow on a "bachelor" party. :D
You just want me to buy yoos guys a bunch of pasties!;)

6ballsisall
10-17-2006, 09:36 PM
UH, NEGATIVE GHOSTRIDER!:mad: :rolleyes: :noface:

Well Eric, I bet if the buyer knew it was to buy the MRS. UMP a ring, he might even come up on his buy price. Erk, get to work!!! UMP wants to buy a ring!

6ballsisall
10-17-2006, 09:37 PM
You just want me to buy yoos guys a bunch of pasties!;)

I thought you would never ask!!!!!!!:D :rolleyes:

erkoehler
10-17-2006, 09:38 PM
Well Eric, I bet if the buyer knew it was to buy the MRS. UMP a ring, he might even come up on his buy price. Erk, get to work!!! UMP wants to buy a ring!

I'll see if he'll throw in his wife's engagement ring....they're divorced now ;)

TMCNo1
10-17-2006, 09:38 PM

Hmmmmm....... I am sure it wouldn't be hard to find the "Mayors" contact info.
I will Goggle, "Mayor, Preacher, Car Dealership Employee and UMP's Best Friend" and I know it will come up in a search. Big brother has been watching!

6ballsisall
10-17-2006, 09:39 PM
I will Goggle, "Mayor, Preacher, Car Dealership Employee and UMP's Best Friend" and I know it will come up in a search. Big brother has been watching!

Harrold thats why UMP pays you the big bucks!!!!! YOu go BOYEEEEEEEEEEE:cool:

6ballsisall
10-17-2006, 09:41 PM
I'll see if he'll throw in his wife's engagement ring....they're divorced now ;)

UMP!!!!!!!!!! What more could you ask for?????:rolleyes:

10-17-2006, 09:42 PM
UMP!!!!!!!!!! What more could you ask for?????:rolleyes:
I dont know......maybe a million dollars?:confused:

TMCNo1
10-17-2006, 09:43 PM
Harrold thats why UMP pays you the big bucks!!!!! YOu go BOYEEEEEEEEEEE:cool:

Dontchano!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6ballsisall
10-17-2006, 09:43 PM
I dont know......maybe a million dollars?:confused:

Careful don't give ERK any crazy ideas..........:rolleyes:

TMCNo1
10-17-2006, 09:48 PM
Careful don't give ERK any crazy ideas..........:rolleyes:

I don't know................maybe a milliom dollars!

As we speak, UMP's name is being entered as a contestant on "Deal or No Deal! Can you see where this is going?????????????????????

6ballsisall
10-17-2006, 09:49 PM
As we speak, UMP's name is being entered as a contestant on "Deal or No Deal! Can you see where this is going?????????????????????

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!! So who gets to be the banker??? :D

10-17-2006, 09:53 PM
Obviously you do! since you enjoy altering the course of my life so much!8p ;)

TMCNo1
10-17-2006, 09:58 PM

2 cases left, the banker offers UMP $24, a $15k wedding ring, a new PS190, all inclusive honeymoon, a new Chebbie Peekup and his choice of the models or MsUMP2B. UMP says "DEAL" and the final case on the stand has $1 million in it, go figure!

6ballsisall
10-17-2006, 09:59 PM
Obviously you do! since you enjoy altering the course of my life so much!8p ;)

Its all in brotherly love UMP.

erkoehler
10-17-2006, 10:00 PM
Here you go UMP:

http://www.millionairetv.com/

10-17-2006, 10:03 PM
Its all in brotherly love UMP.
I know dude. :) :D Well, except for hoosier, I think he has an entirely different take on it. ;) :D

TMCNo1
10-17-2006, 10:05 PM
Deal or No deal, http://www.nbc.com/Deal_or_No_Deal/
They have the bio's on all the models, dontchano!

6ballsisall
10-17-2006, 10:33 PM
I know dude. Well, except for hoosier, I think he has an entirely different take on it. ;) :D

His is more like "hammock love" :D

10-17-2006, 10:36 PM
:uglyhamme :uglyhamme His is more like "hammock love" :D

Hoosier Bob
10-17-2006, 10:39 PM
That would have made a lot more sense than Muskrat Love! Yes I am an America fan! No not Capt. and Tenille! America! Donkey Jaw, Horse with No name, Venture a Highway! Sand Man, Clarisse, I need you and I am sure more!
From now on it will be Hammock hammock something something I do not really remeber but substitute Muskrat with Hammock!

Leroy
04-06-2007, 01:07 PM
Pool opening time last weekend! Came out pretty clean this year.....only one dead chipmonk and about one pint of dead worms!

Of course no one is swimming now......

04-06-2007, 07:55 PM
Pool opening time last weekend! Came out pretty clean this year.....only one dead chipmonk and about one pint of dead worms!

Looks great Leroy!:) Just in time for the snow and cold weather:(

You will have no problem getting your water in balance. looks great!

BriEOD
04-07-2007, 10:08 AM

Been swimming in mine for a few months. ;)

Leroy
04-07-2007, 10:27 AM
Brieod; Well it's 20 this morning here. Can't beat that Florida weather!

BriEOD
04-07-2007, 02:33 PM
20! Wow, not sure it hit 20 here all year.

Ric
04-07-2007, 03:33 PM
Hey! another thread where we can talk about living more green! j/k

Leroy
04-25-2007, 10:57 AM
There is a trend to saltwater pools now I guess. Anyone else do that? Then you don't buy anymore chemicals. I don't think it is saltwater like the ocean.

trickskier
04-25-2007, 11:43 AM
There is a trend to saltwater pools now I guess. Anyone else do that? Then you don't buy anymore chemicals. I don't think it is saltwater like the ocean.
Yes, I use salt. The chlorinator turns salt into chlorine. I usually have to put about 40lbs of salt a month into the pool, then add muratic acid as needed. Pretty maintenance free.........Water does not taste or feel salty.

Sodar
04-25-2007, 11:53 AM

Salt is sooooo much nicer. My high school converted it over when I was half way through. I used to get out of morning polo & swim workouts with a runny nose, itchy eyes and wreaking of chlorine, once they converted to salt, all of my chlorine allergies disappeared and I no longer smelt like a walking chlorinator!! :D :D

04-25-2007, 12:17 PM
Salt is sooooo much nicer. My high school converted it over when I was half way through. I used to get out of morning polo & swim workouts with a runny nose, itchy eyes and wreaking of chlorine, once they converted to salt, all of my chlorine allergies disappeared and I no longer smelt like a walking chlorinator!!
I can understand that. Most public pools are just WAY over chlorinated because they kinda have to be. People uh....well....ya know...pee in them, so they have to just really hit it hard with chlorine to keep it clean and safe. (I remember reading where a chemist stated the reason pools smell so strong in hotels, schools, etc.. is not the chlorine, but the pee in the pool that is reacting with the chlorine. )Plus, so many people swim in them, so there is far more dirt, sweat, etc. that gets in the water to creat bacteria, so more chlorine is needed to manage it. I maintain my pool very well, its clean, and nobody gets red eyes or dry skin or chlorine smell afterwards. Thats the downside of public pools.

I try to shock my pool in the late evenings, so it can run all night and people can swim in it the next day. I usually maintain the CL level by using 3" tablets in the skimmer basket. no chlorinaters floating around the pool then.

TMCNo1
04-25-2007, 01:02 PM
I can understand that. Most public pools are just WAY over chlorinated because they kinda have to be. People uh....well....ya know...pee in them, so they have to just really hit it hard with chlorine to keep it clean and safe. (I remember reading where a chemist stated the reason pools smell so strong in hotels, schools, etc.. is not the chlorine, but the pee in the pool that is reacting with the chlorine. )Plus, so many people swim in them, so there is far more dirt, sweat, etc. that gets in the water to creat bacteria, so more chlorine is needed to manage it. I maintain my pool very well, its clean, and nobody gets red eyes or dry skin or chlorine smell afterwards. Thats the downside of public pools.

I try to shock my pool in the late evenings, so it can run all night and people can swim in it the next day. I usually maintain the CL level by using 3" tablets in the skimmer basket. no chlorinaters floating around the pool then.

Well, how do the goldfish survive? Just wondering!

Ric
07-06-2007, 01:53 PM
Leroy, I visited a friends saltwater pool this weekend... He denied the idea that my dad's chlorine pool was so simple to maintain... He said that he has to brush the sides, vacuum and the rocks on the waterfall get slimy.....

I didn't want to burst his bubble, so I didn't comment, BUT it would seem that the saltwater system (at least here in the swampy south) is not keeping the pool as clean?

Tricky? what say you?

Ric is thinking pool lately with the lack of boat time :(

X2M
07-06-2007, 02:03 PM
We just converted our pool to a saltwater system. So far I love it!

The only thing we have had to dump in it was a whole bunch of salt, no more chemicals. The water feels better on your skin, doesn't dry you out. Eyes don't burn from the chlorine.

The big test will be this heat wave. Pool will was 88 yesterday and with this hot weather and lots of people swimming we will see if it stays crystal clear.

:)

Ric
07-06-2007, 02:08 PM
keep us posted puhleasse. Did you have to do lots of maintenance, vacuuming etc with the chlorine setup?

Ric
07-06-2007, 02:10 PM
anybody here have one of those pools that the shallow end has no coping? (kinda like the shorline of the lake or beach, it slowly slopes into the water)

X2M
07-06-2007, 02:20 PM
keep us posted puhleasse. Did you have to do lots of maintenance, vacuuming etc with the chlorine setup?

Before the salt we did have to brush the sides and the pump/vacuum ran about 6-8 hours a day in the hotter months and 2 hours a day in the winter. The chemicals were a little tricky to keep them all at the right level. We had to test every other day. Added a little of this to keep that ok and then had to add some of that to get the other level up....AAhhhh!!! It was a pain.

Since doing the salt we dont have to brush the sides, the pump/vacuum still runs about the same time. We have to do nothing with chemicals. Only had to dump 10 50lb bags of salt into the pool when it was hooked up. That has been it. We have tested the water a couple times a week and all is good.

X2M
07-06-2007, 02:22 PM
anybody here have one of those pools that the shallow end has no coping? (kinda like the shorline of the lake or beach, it slowly slopes into the water)

We have some friends that have a pool like that, even the bottom is the color of sand. They are called beach pools here. They have very small kids and are great for little ones.

07-06-2007, 02:22 PM
I hear the non chlorine setup is getting popular, but I will need proof. I need to see it in action, so far nobody I know here has switched to it. Personally, I think the chlorine is simple. I think alot of people get just put way too much chlorine in and that burns eyes, dries skin etc... The thing is, you only need enough chlorine to keep it clean, anything beyond that is a waste. If you using it heavy, lots of people in the pool, then shock it at night before you go to bed, its more effective then anyway. and the CL level should be down by the next day when its time to go in again. the sun is tuff on chlorine, and knocks it out, so shocking at night is better. shock after a heavy day of use, and keep chlorine tablets in the skimmer basket. a little algecide every 3 days, then clarifier after every shock treatment and thats about it. as I have said before, total alkalinity is key to pool management. if its in the correct range, your life is easy. Just check the TA every week and keep it in check.

Leroy
07-06-2007, 02:33 PM
I've received several brochures in the mail to convert over to salt water. Except our pool company has not bought in yet. The only problem we have is seems like once a year too many people in the pool or forget the chemical and it clouds up. THen it takes 2-3 weeks to get clean again.

Leroy, I visited a friends saltwater pool this weekend... He denied the idea that my dad's chlorine pool was so simple to maintain... He said that he has to brush the sides, vacuum and the rocks on the waterfall get slimy.....

I didn't want to burst his bubble, so I didn't comment, BUT it would seem that the saltwater system (at least here in the swampy south) is not keeping the pool as clean?

Tricky? what say you?

Ric is thinking pool lately with the lack of boat time :(

6ballsisall
07-06-2007, 04:06 PM
Our community pool here is salt water. You'd never know it, it doesn't taste salty but it sure is nice to swim in! (no more chlorine hair, swimsuits, itchy skin etc....)

They seem easy to clean. We have a pool guy that shows up about every ten days and is here for an hour or two. The pool is absolutely spotless and it sees hard use with as many kids as there is in the neighborhood.

I am sold, if I was doing a pool at this house it would definetely being salt.

BriEOD
07-06-2007, 05:07 PM
We are still chlorine. I don't think it matters which you have, you will still have some maintenance. We are really good about keeping our Ph balanced and have yet to have any big issues. We do have a "Kreepy Krawly." However, with it being screened in we never have to skim it. It feels great on a hot day...i.e. today. I have my co-workers and their families coming tomorrow for a bbq and some pool volleyball. Ric, you want to come and play Gaylord Focker? Don't forget the Speedo. :D

Ric
07-06-2007, 05:13 PM
seemed like the guy I know with the salt water system had to run his pump more hours because if you are not moving water through the pump, you are not chlorinating

07-06-2007, 05:16 PM
I've received several brochures in the mail to convert over to salt water. Except our pool company has not bought in yet. The only problem we have is seems like once a year too many people in the pool or forget the chemical and it clouds up. THen it takes 2-3 weeks to get clean again.
Leroy, if that happens, to prevent it, shock it right before bedtime after everyone is done swimming, that will prevent it from even happening. if you forget to shock it, and it does cloud up, hit it hard with chlorine for about 3 days straight, and heavy on clarifier after the shocking, let the filter run 24/7, a quick filter backwash every day, and KEEP an eye on the CL level. it should clear right up in about 3-4 days depending on pool size. I learned that the hard way when I was learning this stuff. Like I say, this is not rocket science, but you just need to follow a few basic guidlines and its really simple. I am not dissing the salt idea, I just havent seen it in action yet. I would want to see it work before I made the change. Who knows? I may change in the future. I am a hard sell, its the engineer in me. :o

07-06-2007, 05:18 PM
seemed like the guy I know with the salt water system had to run his pump more hours because if you are not moving water through the pump, you are not chlorinating
Gee Ric, that was a lame way of dodging that speedo comment of Brieods.

Sodar
07-06-2007, 05:23 PM
, its the engineer in me. :o

It is the "something" in you!! I will give you a clue... it starts with "B" ends with "T" and has "ullshi" in the middle!! :D :D :D

07-06-2007, 05:29 PM
It is the "something" in you!! I will give you a clue... it starts with "B" ends with "T" and has "ullshi" in the middle!! :D :D :D
you mean Belushi!!!!

Sodar
07-06-2007, 05:41 PM
you mean Belushi!!!!

EXACTLY!!! Took the word right out of my mouth!! ;) 8p ;)

Ric
07-06-2007, 05:44 PM
Gee Ric, that was a lame way of dodging that speedo comment of Brieods. Bri is always trying to change the subject from something serious to some lame joke. It gets old after awhile.

07-06-2007, 05:46 PM
http://www.imisscollege.com/images/belushi.jpg

I knew a guy about this caliber in college..... wonder what ever happened to him????

Ric
07-06-2007, 05:47 PM
that Belushi is one of my most cherished avatars ump

Sodar
07-06-2007, 05:58 PM
Bri is always trying to change the subject from something serious to some lame joke. It gets old after awhile.

Ric, you are my hero!!

Ric
07-06-2007, 06:08 PM
Ric, you are my hero!! I try

07-07-2007, 11:37 AM
that Belushi is one of my most cherished avatars ump
as well it should be, its a cinematic classic timepiece. one of the finest moments ever captured on film, ever.

Leroy
07-07-2007, 09:18 PM
I need you down here for 3-4 days the next time this happens! It always takes us 2 weeks at least.

Leroy, if that happens, to prevent it, shock it right before bedtime after everyone is done swimming, that will prevent it from even happening. if you forget to shock it, and it does cloud up, hit it hard with chlorine for about 3 days straight, and heavy on clarifier after the shocking, let the filter run 24/7, a quick filter backwash every day, and KEEP an eye on the CL level. it should clear right up in about 3-4 days depending on pool size. I learned that the hard way when I was learning this stuff. Like I say, this is not rocket science, but you just need to follow a few basic guidlines and its really simple. I am not dissing the salt idea, I just havent seen it in action yet. I would want to see it work before I made the change. Who knows? I may change in the future. I am a hard sell, its the engineer in me. :o

X2M
07-07-2007, 11:04 PM

We can select the amount of chlorine that the unit produces. Ours is currently set at 80%. So 80% of the time the pump is running it is producing chlorine. We have not changed the amount of time the pump/kreepy krawly runs since converting to the salt system.

The weather here has been really hot. Over 100 degrees every day for the past week or so...most days have been 105 and higher (114 one day). We have swam once or twice a day. With 4-10 people in it at a time. All levels are right where they need to be and we have not added any chemicals to the pool.

Leroy
07-07-2007, 11:09 PM
I have to ask a user about the salt water pool.

You you just add salt and adjust the % level of chlorine and that is it, pH and chlorine have remained ok?

I'm thinking about converting next year.

We can select the amount of chlorine that the unit produces. Ours is currently set at 80%. So 80% of the time the pump is running it is producing chlorine. We have not changed the amount of time the pump/kreepy krawly runs since converting to the salt system.

The weather here has been really hot. Over 100 degrees every day for the past week or so...most days have been 105 and higher (114 one day). We have swam once or twice a day. With 4-10 people in it at a time. All levels are right where they need to be and we have not added any chemicals to the pool.

X2M
07-08-2007, 01:00 AM
I have to ask a user about the salt water pool.

You you just add salt and adjust the % level of chlorine and that is it, pH and chlorine have remained ok?

I'm thinking about converting next year.

Yep, that is about it. Hook up the system, dump a bunch of salt in it and let the pump run for 24 hours. Chlorine and pH are all good.

07-08-2007, 11:15 AM
Thats just wild! I dont mean to be such a skeptic, but darn it seems to good to be true. I guess old habits die hard. :o So what does it cost to convert to the salt system??

BriEOD
07-08-2007, 12:05 PM
Bri is always trying to change the subject from something serious to some lame joke. It gets old after awhile.
This from the King of Sarcasm. I'll keep it in mind.:rolleyes:

B

RexDog1
07-08-2007, 12:30 PM
This from the King of Sarcasm. I'll keep it in mind.:rolleyes:

B

Donít you mean, Queen of Sarcasm 8p

volknstein
09-05-2008, 12:39 AM
Here is a picture of the pool after the resurfacing with the Wet Edge Technologies Pearl Matrix.

http://www.wetedgetechnologies.com/pearl_matrix.htm

Hello,

I am a new member looking to buy a house with an existing pool. The house we are looking at has a pool with the gunite or plaster finish. The finish is aging and cracking. What would be the average cost to resurface it? I don't even know the price range. I like the Pearl Matrix Primera Stone finish. The pool is a medium sized kidney shaped pool that has a large shallow end and is not deep enough to dive in. Does Pear Matrix install it, or is that my job?

THanks!
David

dummy
09-05-2008, 12:55 AM
Costs vary widely even in the same area. I got a couple bids on having my pool redone down here in So Cal. For a 20-year plaster, some coping work, and resetting/repairing/replacing the tile it ranged from $9,000-$18,000. The high bid was an upgraded plaster. Didn't get a bid on the pebble finish since I don't like 'em.

Said screw it and put the money into buying my MasterCraft instead. Pool will wait.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd176/chinhazel/DSC_3963.jpg

coz
09-05-2008, 09:09 AM
I have a 40,000 gallon pool that were getting ready to pebble tech, re-plaster cost is 5000 and 10,000 for pebble tech. Plaster pools require more attention in the wall brushing department especially here in AZ with the hard water spots and the mustard algae that blows around in the monsoon rains. With pebble tech you can't see stains and the algae doesnt stick to it as well. Also owning a pool isn't just dumping chemicals into every week they take maintenence to keep them clear and inviting.
What kind of pums system does it have? pop-ups or creepy crawly? definetly make sure that's in check.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2348/2428666197_d624f36b71_b.jpg