PDA

View Full Version : Al Gore Invented the Internet

Maristar210
10-13-2006, 08:56 AM
.................................................. ....................

shepherd
10-13-2006, 08:58 AM
the man's a freakin' genius.

I hear he also discovered the hole in the ozone layer. :worthy:

Monte
10-13-2006, 09:11 AM
I think he just showed up in the pirate thread too... Truly an international man of many diguises....

3event
10-13-2006, 09:11 AM
Listen in awe to the sparkling intellect:

"When my sister and I were growing up," Mr. Gore told a small audience made up mostly of women, "there was never any doubt in our minds that men and women were equal, if not more so."
(Source: NY Times, 08/12/00)

"A zebra does not change its spots." - Al Gore, attacking President George Bush in 1992.
(Sources: The Toronto Sun, 11/19/95; May 13th page of the "365 stupidest things ever said, 1999 Calendar." ALL quotes from this calendar are from a book called "The 700 Stupidest Things Ever Said") The book and calendar are by a brother and sister team called Ross and Kathryn Petras. The original book "The 776 Stupidest things ever said" was printed in March 1993, and the calendar was printed August 1998.)

Maybe Michael Jordan hasn't made an indelible impression on everyone outside Chicago. Speaking at a D.C. function, Vice President Al Gore, wowed by the Bulls, said: "I tell you that Michael Jackson is unbelievable, isn't he. He's just unbelievable."
( Source: The Chicago Tribune June 17, 1998 )

Maristar210
10-13-2006, 09:13 AM
All I had to do was give the Gore ball a little push and.......

LakePirate
10-13-2006, 09:20 AM
Can I start telling my Dan Quayle and W jokes now?

BIGBADBLUE
10-13-2006, 09:20 AM
duh .....

At an event in Las Vegas on Monday, Gore declared potential breast cancer victims faced "a long waiting line before they could get a biopsy or, uh, or a uh, another kind of, what am I looking for, a sonogram or...." People in the crowd shouted "mammogram."
(Source: Fox News 09/18/00; MSNBC 09/21/00 - The News with Brian Williams

BIGBADBLUE
10-13-2006, 09:32 AM

I just love Al Gore jokes ....

Upper Michigan Prostar190
10-13-2006, 09:58 AM
Can I start telling my Dan Quayle and W jokes now?
Might as well start with the potatoe joke first!:D

JimN
10-13-2006, 10:07 AM
Life is like a box of chocolates,"

Oh, sorry, that was Forrest Gump.

Sorry Al, "(ARPANET) A pioneering longhaul wide area
network funded by DARPA (when it was still called "ARPA"?).
It became operational in 1968 and served as the basis for
early networking research, as well as a central backbone
during the development of the Internet. The ARPANET
consisted of individual packet switching computers
interconnected by leased lines. Protocols used include
FTP and telnet. It has now been replaced by NSFnet." ARPA is the Advanced Reasearch Projects Agency, run by the Dept of Defense.

Operational in '68 means that they had designed and tested it before that, which means that he couldn't have "invented" the 'net. I have seen that he takes credit for "taking the initiative in creating the internet". It was already there. He may have helped to take it to the public but it wasn't a new thing to a lot of people. Anyone who went to a high school or college that was technologically current in the late '60s and early '70s knew that a remote computer could access a mainframe over phone lines. Once Apple and MS fired up with their PCs, it really made people who knew the potential of a PC and a wider network take notice. People communicated through PCs all through the '80s and he wants to take credit for something that was developed by engineers and scientists. Makes ya go Hmmmm.

Bill found new uses for cigars and Algore invented the internet. What a couple of forward thinkers.

Al also recently said that cigarette smoking has a big effect on the ozone hole, too. Next, he'll be telling people to not breathe so deeply and that runners are producing too much CO2.

OK, to be "Fair and Balanced", Quayle was a putz, Bush has a problem with grammar and pronouncing 'nuclear' but Jimmy Carter says it the same way and he served on a nuclear sub.

Monte
10-13-2006, 10:08 AM
Might as well start with the potatoe joke first!:D

Dangit UMP that's tomatoe:rolleyes:

Tryin-again
10-13-2006, 10:23 AM
Life is like a box of chocolates,"

Or Better yet...

"Life is Like a jar of jalapenos...

What you enjoy today may burn your A$$ tommorow............." :D

slink976
10-13-2006, 11:51 AM
Actually ARPA was created becuase the Gov was worried that the president would not be able to "Press the Button" In case of a nuclear attack from russia. Later was given to the Universities for them to develop. I can't find a article on this at this time. But as far as I am concerned it really is the only thing the gov did right from 65-80!

JimN
10-13-2006, 12:26 PM
Go to www.darpa.mil/body/arpa_darpa.html and you'll see that ARPA was formed in 1958.

3event
10-26-2006, 02:10 PM
Earth's climate pattern is now being put at risk by humankind's actions, Gore said. "We face what I think should be described as a full-scale planetary emergency."

He's still at it. Well, you gotta sell books, speaking engagements etc to make a meager living. I heard something about a recent global warming conference he drove to in a limo with a mutliple vehicle motorcade.....

Danimal
10-26-2006, 02:24 PM
Al and Tipper were the inspiration for Love Story, too.

jeverett
10-26-2006, 02:47 PM
I don't know one politican that doesn't put his or her foot in their mouth daily. Being a politician should be featured in an episode of "Dirty Jobs" on Discovery.

JimN
10-26-2006, 04:27 PM
I was watching Discovery or National Geographic last night and they were talking about the fact that the Earth's magnet field reverses occasionally and the intensity of the field is weakening now and they use 'incoming and outgoing' to dscribe the two fields. What this means is that, if you look at the magma as a lava lamp, you can see when the incoming field flows to and is attracted to a new area, it follows that it likes being there and eventually, the rest will follow. What was in the new location (outgoing field) takes the place of the incoming field as it vacates. At the times when the magma is flowing to new areas, the overall field weakens and this can be seen at the poles, especially. This weaker magnetic field also allows the Solar Wind to affect the Earth's atmosphere by blowing more of it out into space. This happened on Mars (their main example) and eventually will happen here. The normal atmosphere is replaced by other gases, which would kill off most life forms.

Sounds like this is causing the ozone hole changes, eh? Yes, humans can do bad things to the planet but most are self-correcting, eventually (we create new materials, not new elements, right?) so they all have their origin in/on/around the planet. We, as organisms, may not tolerate them but the planet does just fine.

JimN
10-26-2006, 04:29 PM
"Al and Tipper were the inspiration for Love Story, too."

Too bad it wasn't "Texas Chain Saw Massacre".:D

"Zombies", maybe.

Tryin-again
10-26-2006, 04:34 PM
"Al and Tipper were the inspiration for Love Story, too."

Too bad it wasn't "Texas Chain Saw Massacre".:D

"Zombies", maybe.

Probably Taboo II also....... :D

phecksel
10-27-2006, 11:39 AM
http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

trickskier
10-27-2006, 11:44 AM
He wouldn't even know how to sign on. AL check your e-mail your box is full!!!

JimN
10-27-2006, 11:52 AM
Somewhere, I posted a similar link to the real story about Gore/internet.

For some reason, the comment in the article (not written by Gore) about "people outside of academia and the sciences aren't aware of it" just doesn't fly with me. Not everyone who accessed a remote computer in the '60s and '70s stayed in school, therefore, people outside definitly knew about it. When I was in HS and college, we were learning Interactive Fortran (Oh, Boy!) and dialed up a Sperry Univac at the Globe Union headquarters, now home to the Johnson Controls Battery Div. World HQ.

Ric
03-17-2007, 08:15 AM
This is the thread I found the quickest regarding global warming so sue me if I post this in the wrong place.....

anybody get sports illustrated? Last week's issue was the global warming issue.. the front cover shows a marlins player hip deep in the stadium flooded with water(because of polar ice cap melt)
ski slopes will run for fewer days, coastal cities (and more importantly key coastal sports arenas) will flood
temps will rise, winter games will be affected. etc etc

anybody beleive this garbage? Even if you do, can someone essplain me why it's being fed to me in my PAID escapist weekly?

Here is a link to the story but it's not exactly the same story that is in print.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/more/03/06/eco0312/

Discussing it with a good friend over lunch, his only response was calmly "well, you can vote with your subscription"

I wonder if I can be one of those raving loons that writes into the mag expressing my concern with their agenda far off the sports scene?[and they actually publish my words]

TMCNo1
03-17-2007, 08:39 AM
This is the thread I found the quickest regarding global warming so sue me if I post this in the wrong place.....

anybody get sports illustrated? Last week's issue was the global warming issue.. the front cover shows a marlins player hip deep in the stadium flooded with water(because of polar ice cap melt)
ski slopes will run for fewer days, coastal cities (and more importantly key coastal sports arenas) will flood
temps will rise, winter games will be affected. etc etc

anybody beleive this garbage? Even if you do, can someone essplain me why it's being fed to me in my PAID escapist weekly?

Here is a link to the story but it's not exactly the same story that is in print.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/more/03/06/eco0312/

Discussing it with a good friend over lunch, his only response was calmly "well, you can vote with your subscription"

I wonder if I can be one of those raving loons that writes into the mag expressing my concern with their agenda far off the sports scene?[and they actually publish my words]

We need those baseball stadiums with just enough water in them to make ski lakes out of them!

Ric
03-17-2007, 08:51 AM
We need those baseball stadiums with just enough water in them to make ski lakes out of them! hellya! but you bettah be ready to peddle that skiboat down the lake!

Ric
03-17-2007, 11:59 AM
http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp looks like if you buddy up with the snopes guy and do some hobbknobbing with the big boys, you can have your doublespeak explained clearly to the great unwashed
did smoke, didn't inhale, invented, created, voted for before voting against, it's all good......:D

lakesnake
03-17-2007, 12:28 PM
Anybody watch Letterman? I get a kick out of his Famous Presidential Speeches gig, where he shows FDR's "Fear Itself" and JFK's "For Your Country" speeches then show's something dumb that GWB has said in a press conference or so on. Last night was "My lawyer's a Latino." That goofy smirk just kills me.

Ric
03-17-2007, 09:08 PM
Anybody watch Letterman? I get a kick out of his Famous Presidential Speeches gig, where he shows FDR's "Fear Itself" and JFK's "For Your Country" speeches then show's something dumb that GWB has said in a press conference or so on. Last night was "My lawyer's a Latino." That goofy smirk just kills me. after seeing the usedtobefunny letterman soil himself interviewing the not so conservative bill oreilly, I am not surprised he would welcome skits with big dems and bash W

bigmac
03-17-2007, 09:19 PM
after seeing the usedtobefunny letterman soil himself interviewing the not so conservative bill oreilly.... I gotta agree...that was pretty lame.

TX.X-30 fan
03-17-2007, 09:23 PM
I personally cant wait for global warming at my nearest lake. :D :D

Maristar210
07-23-2007, 04:04 PM
I personally cant wait for global warming at my nearest lake. :D :D

Al Gore? - Yeah I invented the thread !!!

bigmac
07-23-2007, 04:31 PM
Here is a picture of Al monitoring all activity on his internet...it's a dirty job, but somebody has to do it...

Apparently it takes a Macintosh computer to do the job properly..;)

http://img.timeinc.net/time/photoessays/2007/gore_life/20.jpg

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-23-2007, 04:32 PM
Here is a picture of Al monitoring all activity on his internet...it's a dirty job, but somebody has to do it...

Apparently it takes a Macintosh computer to do the job properly..;)

http://img.timeinc.net/time/photoessays/2007/gore_life/20.jpg
I bet he has his hands full monitoring the stuff I do on the internet. :cool:

Sodar
07-23-2007, 04:47 PM
Wow! That is pretty cool! 3 - 30" Cinema displays! That is about $6,000 in monitors, alone!

Ric
07-23-2007, 05:08 PM
what a great thread!