PDA

View Full Version : Winterize if you store it in a Garage?

mrcrowson
10-12-2006, 01:45 PM
:confused:

I know I have seen many questions on here about winterizing your boat. I donít recall seeing any on if your boat is garage kept do you need completely winterize it? I have heard and read many things. I am new to this so bare with me. It will cost me $170 to have it winterized at my local dealer plus $80. for the oil change. Any suggestions on what you think I should do would be a great help. I donít mind paying to have it winterized just not sure if a full blown one is needed.

Thanks for the help.

erkoehler
10-12-2006, 01:48 PM
Yes, fully winterize the boat. Those prices are not bad at all :)

bigmac
10-12-2006, 01:53 PM

I know I have seen many questions on here about winterizing your boat. I donít recall seeing any on if your boat is garage kept do you need completely winterize it? I have heard and read many things. I am new to this so bare with me. It will cost me $170 to have it winterized at my local dealer plus $80. for the oil change. Any suggestions on what you think I should do would be a great help. I donít mind paying to have it winterized just not sure if a full blown one is needed.

Thanks for the help.

If you ever get below freezing there, you don't want to bet your engine block on the reliability of your power company.

Jesus_Freak
10-12-2006, 02:36 PM
Excellent point! It is not always up to us, is it?

erkoehler
10-12-2006, 02:41 PM
Yes, definetly winterize....otherwise when this happens you'll be worried!:D

mrcrowson
10-12-2006, 02:44 PM
Snow In My Garage!!!:D

6ballsisall
10-12-2006, 02:58 PM

Thanks for the help.

definetely do it. At your location it will get cold enough to cause issue. As said above, you don't want to end up relying on mister electric company.

jbfootin
10-12-2006, 04:24 PM
winterizing is a pretty cheap form of insurance. If you winterize yourself it is much cheaper yet. anti-freeze, fogging oil and motor oil are not real expensive if you decide to do this yourself. There are many good articles on this forum on dyi winterizing.

TMCNo1
10-12-2006, 04:55 PM
definetely do it. At your location it will get cold enough to cause issue. As said above, you don't want to end up relying on mister electric company.
At our house, Mister Electric Co. is backed up by Mrs. Fireplace, Siblings Kerosun1 and 2, Uncle Generator and a bunch of Firewood Cousins!

east tx skier
10-12-2006, 04:59 PM
Do the full deal. I'm further south than you are and store in an attached garage as well.

mrcrowson
10-12-2006, 08:21 PM
Thanks for all the info. This helps lots. I will set up an appointment with my dealer.

cwright
10-13-2006, 12:03 PM
One point that no one mentioned is that once you winterize your done for the year. I've owned a boat for 12 years and have never winterized it. It is kept in an attached garage which isn't heated, but ususally stays in the 40's during the winter. When a real cold snap has hit and the garage got closer to freezing, I put a 100 watt light bulb in the engine box and was surprised that it raised the temp inside to 55 degrees. I usually unhook my battery and put it on a maintainer, and occassionally will loosen the belts, but that's about it. My primary reason for doing this is it allow me to go skiing in the off months when one of those rare sunny days hits. I have skiied in every month of the year, and almost always on Jan 1. So the $200 winterize job would be a waste in those circumstances.

If I were to lose power in a cold snap, I would be out in my garage opening up every petcock I could find, and blowing air through my water hoses, but I have never had to do that.

Ben
10-13-2006, 12:47 PM
Not sure what the dealer wants $170 for, but in about 10 minutes, you should be axle to pull the impeller, the 2 drain plugs on the block, the 2 on the exhaust manifolds, and the bottom ends of the cooling hoses. This gets enough water out, you shouldn't be concerned, especially in a garage. Take a lap around the block after doing above if you want to try and bounce more water out. Then put all the plugs & hoses back on the prevent free airflow throught the system (rust).

Oil change will take a bit more time, but not much.

Seeing how you have a newer boat, you may have heater & ballast, which may be why it costs more.

TMCNo1
10-13-2006, 12:49 PM
One point that no one mentioned is that once you winterize your done for the year. I've owned a boat for 12 years and have never winterized it. It is kept in an attached garage which isn't heated, but ususally stays in the 40's during the winter. When a real cold snap has hit and the garage got closer to freezing, I put a 100 watt light bulb in the engine box and was surprised that it raised the temp inside to 55 degrees. I usually unhook my battery and put it on a maintainer, and occassionally will loosen the belts, but that's about it. My primary reason for doing this is it allow me to go skiing in the off months when one of those rare sunny days hits. I have skiied in every month of the year, and almost always on Jan 1. So the $200 winterize job would be a waste in those circumstances.

If I were to lose power in a cold snap, I would be out in my garage opening up every petcock I could find, and blowing air through my water hoses, but I have never had to do that.

Keep ours in the heated and a/c'd basement.
The original MasterCraft sticker on the hull, just aft of the boweye, port side, says, "Factory Winterized by MasterCraft, by KW, Date 11-28-88 and that was the first and last time, nearly 18 years ago!

ntidsl
10-13-2006, 01:16 PM
I Have Plans To Use My Boat This Weekend Even Though Thr High Is Going To Be 50...but...i Just Got Down Draining The Engine And All The Hoses...it Took 2-3 Minutes...its In A Warehouse That Is Always Above Freezing Except For The Week After I Get Hit By A Car, Im Unconsious For A Month, Wake Up Find Out That A Really Cold Snap Came Though A Week Ago With An Ice Storm That Brought Most Of The Electric Lines In Cincinnati Down And Nobody Thought About The Boat At Work!!! I May Be Demented But Thats The Things I Think Of...i Always Live My Life Better Safe Than Sorry!!!

erkoehler
10-13-2006, 01:33 PM
$170 dollars is relatively cheap for a basic winterize....we are at $240.

That includes us running the boat on antifreeze, checking for any issues w/ the engine, running the boat up to operating temperature, running antifreeze throughout the whole engine, applying corrosion gaurd to the engine, trailer, etc.

$24 additional for each ballast, heater, shower....
$52 plus parts for an oil change.

ntidsl
10-13-2006, 01:43 PM
that include, new impellar? plugs? tranny fluid check? etc...do they have to bring it back to you in the spring to reattach belts, hoses and get the new impeller? everyone should know how to work on their boat IMO...its so important to know how to replace a belt, an impeller, a tsat, etc...these are things that could go out anytime anywhere...its so easy to learn...

another one of doug's crazy thoughts...you are meeting a buddy around the corner...he's got lots of hot drunk 20 year old blondes with him...you leave the ramp area alone...and your boat starts over heating...you have 2 choices...1.quickly diagnose that the problem is your impeller and you could change it out asap and clean your hoses of the debris and have an insane time skinney diping with 3 hot chicks or 2. swim it back to you trailer...take it to erk, let it sit in his lot for 2 weeks while your buddy brags about the day he had saturday!!!

like i said...i may be demented for thinking like this but I'd rather be prepared and safe...

erkoehler
10-13-2006, 02:08 PM
that include, new impellar? plugs? tranny fluid check? etc...do they have to bring it back to you in the spring to reattach belts, hoses and get the new impeller? everyone should know how to work on their boat IMO...its so important to know how to replace a belt, an impeller, a tsat, etc...these are things that could go out anytime anywhere...its so easy to learn...

another one of doug's crazy thoughts...you are meeting a buddy around the corner...he's got lots of hot drunk 20 year old blondes with him...you leave the ramp area alone...and your boat starts over heating...you have 2 choices...1.quickly diagnose that the problem is your impeller and you could change it out asap and clean your hoses of the debris and have an insane time skinney diping with 3 hot chicks or 2. swim it back to you trailer...take it to erk, let it sit in his lot for 2 weeks while your buddy brags about the day he had saturday!!!

like i said...i may be demented for thinking like this but I'd rather be prepared and safe...

That would be something that we would fix on the spot for our customers.

We check the tranny fluid/plugs/wires/impellor but do not replace them under the basic winterize. Each of those items is additional if you would like them taken care of.

The main reason that the winterize is expensive is because of the cost of MARINE GRADE non-diluted antifreeze.

Ric
10-13-2006, 02:09 PM
what did I do with that old email that was circulation with the garage full of frozen cars and such?

east tx skier
10-13-2006, 03:54 PM
Here ya go.

http://www.ccsi.com/~mbrown/Email_Flotsam/Priceless/frozen_cars_small.jpg

ntidsl
10-13-2006, 07:17 PM
well I'm glad to hear you'd take care of that situation right away...good news for all your boys in chicago...now open a branch in ohio or nky!!!

Ric
10-13-2006, 07:35 PM
Here ya go.

http://www.ccsi.com/~mbrown/Email_Flotsam/Priceless/frozen_cars_small.jpg NICE work mr Secretary

ntidsl
10-13-2006, 08:38 PM
so I'm not nutz for thinking about that kind of stuff?

Footin
10-13-2006, 09:18 PM
I store my boat in the garage and I do drain the block and manifolds, but I do not put in any antifreeze.

erkoehler
10-13-2006, 10:30 PM
well I'm glad to hear you'd take care of that situation right away...good news for all your boys in chicago...now open a branch in ohio or nky!!!

I'm trying:D