PDA

View Full Version : Property Owners Assoc.

Monte
10-12-2006, 10:25 AM
I live 100k off the lake in a Golf/ Lake community (ie I can see the lake, throw rocks to the lake, but have to walk across the street thru the buddy's yard to get there...) How come it is that if you live on the lake you can build an enclosed dock to store the big toy. But you live off the lake and can't construct an additional storage bldg at all?

6ballsisall
10-12-2006, 10:41 AM
I live 100k off the lake in a Golf/ Lake community (ie I can see the lake, throw rocks to the lake, but have to walk across the street thru the buddy's yard to get there...) How come it is that if you live on the lake you can build an enclosed dock to store the big toy. But you live off the lake and can't construct an additional storage bldg at all?

Politics most likely. I live in the same type of community. Take a look at who serves on the board. In my situation all but one of the committee members lives on the lake. Theres your answer. :rolleyes:

Monte
10-12-2006, 10:45 AM
Very true!! I have even asked If I can build a dock in my back yard... They weren't amused...

trickskier
10-12-2006, 12:17 PM
I live in a communist community and can't do it either Monte. Must be attached to the house. We're not allowed to ride any type of 2 wheeled motorized vehilcle. I bought my son a go-ped and the security stopped him and made him walk it home. Bunch of OLD FARTS!!!!

Monte
10-12-2006, 12:29 PM
I live in a communist community and can't do it either Monte. Must be attached to the house. We're not allowed to ride any type of 2 wheeled motorized vehilcle. I bought my son a go-ped and the security stopped him and made him walk it home. Bunch of OLD FARTS!!!!

I can't say they've banned two wheel vehicles.... Yet.... you never know though. It only takes one OLD FART and One Harley "sneaking up" on them to get that ball rolling. I was in the process of getting quotes b/c I had noticed some other outbuildings.... You know.. ask for forgiveness... Danged if they aren't making those people tear them down now???? Just got the memo form the POA this AM... Thank the Lord that I didn't start... The best quote two bay to match the house was 10k :cool: the best to add two bays to my garage??? 25k:mad: Of course I would rather just add, but the difference is Crazy:(

Archimedes
10-12-2006, 12:33 PM
Not to threadjack too much here, but doesn't it just suck that we can't race around our neighborhoods on minibikes like we did back in the 70's?

We still do it a bit on our dirtbikes, but we're always looking over our shoulders and making sure we don't stay out long enough for the cops to make if from downtown out to our edge of town.

I miss the days of unbridled minibike and go kart chaos in the streets. We even had a kid whose Dad had one of those 3 wheeled Cushmans that used to tear around with us.

M-Funf
10-12-2006, 01:53 PM
Not to threadjack too much here, but doesn't it just suck that we can't race around our neighborhoods on minibikes like we did back in the 70's?

Yeah, those were the days...

The hill above our house was wide open for dirtbike riding...Sometimes we'd get stopped by the sheriff, but only to make sure we had spark arresters!!!:cool:

Monte
10-12-2006, 02:00 PM
Luckily the kids in my n-borhood still do that.. That's what sold me on the place. (well the women walking with their children in the streets) My old home was in the historic dist. traffic everywhere plus 15 min ride to lake. Even felt unsafe on the sidewalks there....
I know that the reason for a POA is to keep the value up on property, but I don't understand the double standard...

Chief
10-12-2006, 02:05 PM
That's why I love my hood. The communist here only care if your yard is cut and you don't have junk around the house and boats and RV's are out of sight. Of course the marina has to be kept clean, other than that I see kids on golf carts and an occasional mini-bike cruising around w/kids and adults. Pretty much no one cares unless it gets out of hand with the mini-bikes. Even the Harley can get in and out without even a frown, just alot of waves and smiles!:)

Monte
10-12-2006, 02:58 PM
That's why I love my hood. The communist here only care if your yard is cut and you don't have junk around the house and boats and RV's are out of sight. Of course the marina has to be kept clean, other than that I see kids on golf carts and an occasional mini-bike cruising around w/kids and adults. Pretty much no one cares unless it gets out of hand with the mini-bikes. Even the Harley can get in and out without even a frown, just alot of waves and smiles!:)

You have to cut your grass??????:( And keep a clean yard??:mad::D
yep other than the outbuilding thing, I guess I am satisfied..... especially after hearing that some don't allow two wheel motorized land conveyances... I really hate it for the folks who have to tear their outbuildings down or face fines and liens... One of them is the garage I pointed out to the contractor that I wanted him to mimic... That guy has got to be PI$$ED. I've never met him but, I really hope he's not the serial killer type.....

Chief
10-12-2006, 03:13 PM
You have to cut your grass??????:( And keep a clean yard??:mad::D
yep other than the outbuilding thing, I guess I am satisfied..... especially after hearing that some don't allow two wheel motorized land conveyances... I really hate it for the folks who have to tear their outbuildings down or face fines and liens... One of them is the garage I pointed out to the contractor that I wanted him to mimic... That guy has got to be PI$$ED. I've never met him but, I really hope he's not the serial killer type.....
I guess if I built a shack in the yard I may get some frowns, but then the county would get me. The county can be a real pain in the A$$ if you just go to Home Depot and buy a ton of lumber and start building. Good luck on the neighbor............... Walk in a zig zag pattern when transiting from the house to the car and especially when cutting the grass, you never know where the cross hairs are :) .

trickskier
10-12-2006, 03:13 PM
Heck I even have to pay extra to have these mini garbage trucks backup in my driveway and empty the garbage cans. We cannot put trash out by the driveway.....Very quite neighborhood though. I take the good with the bad...

Chief
10-12-2006, 03:19 PM
Rebel Rick! tell those old farts that you will take your garbage to thier driveway if they don't won't it in front of yours! Is there no boundries? Then tell them your buddy is coming over on the Harley and we are raising hell until 2AM! Then you can move to my neighbor hood!

Monte
10-12-2006, 03:54 PM
Walk in a zig zag pattern when transiting from the house to the car and especially when cutting the grass, you never know where the cross hairs are :) .

Thank the lord I am not on the POA board, and it's not my signature on the letter...:rolleyes:
Even though they were not amused with my dock in the back yard idea I really wonder what they could say? I don't have the $$$ to waste to find out, but really??? :rolleyes:

trickskier
10-12-2006, 04:03 PM
Rebel Rick! tell those old farts that you will take your garbage to thier driveway if they don't won't it in front of yours! Is there no boundries? Then tell them your buddy is coming over on the Harley and we are raising hell until 2AM! Then you can move to my neighbor hood!

Yeah, Maybe we can do some donuts on the golf course!!!

Monte
10-12-2006, 04:26 PM
Yeah, Maybe we can do some donuts on the golf course!!!

That happened about a month ago on the local Country Club course.. Front page news..... they want answers... If you know who did it you best fess up!!!:rolleyes: I'd be willing to bet $$$$ some teenager's dad has been cleaning the hell out of one jacked up Golf Cart while beating the hell out of the teen.

rodltg2
10-12-2006, 04:34 PM
if i ever live in a lake community its going to be me , myself and i!!

Chief
10-12-2006, 04:45 PM
Oh the days of being a deliquent.............. The days seem to last forever and the fun never ended. It really sucks to be a grown up. Mayhem Mayhem was the buzzword some 25 years ago. But then again the world wasn't about being PC and having a stick up your A$$. I think it's time to pause and remember the good ole days.

1. No one ever got sick or died from sharing the same soda.
2. You could leave your house and play from sun up to sun down (or when the streetlights came on).
3. If you were disrespectful, you got your a$$ beat. It could have been the neighbor that did it and when he told your father what you did, you got it again.
4. We never never wore helments to ride bikes, even if trying to jump the ditch that had never been attempted before.
5. You had to really work for an allowance.
6. Cribs were painted with real lead paint.
7. Your buddies sisters were off limits. Bros before... you know.
8. An altercation at school meant meeting after school to settle with the dukes.
9. Doing doughnuts on the golf course.....:)

Well I could go on and on, but those were the days.

Monte
10-12-2006, 04:46 PM
if i ever live in a lake community its going to be me , myself and i!!

Me, myself, and I agree with you, yourself, and you, that would be nice... maybe I'll sell that house and give in to the wife... At least she's looking lake front.... Golf deleted:mad: commies deleted:D Did I mention I suck at golf?:o

Tryin-again
10-12-2006, 04:49 PM
Oh the days of being a deliquent.............. The days seem to last forever and the fun never ended. It really sucks to be a grown up. Mayhem Mayhem was the buzzword some 25 years ago. But then again the world wasn't about being PC and having a stick up your A$$. I think it's time to pause and remember the good ole days.

2. You could leave your house and play from sun up to sun down (or when the streetlights came on).
3. If you were disrespectful, you got your a$$ beat. It could have been the neighbor that did it and when he told your father what you did, you got it again.
4. We never never wore helments to ride bikes, even if trying to jump the ditch that had never been attempted before.
8. An altercation at school meant meeting after school to settle with the dukes.

Yea - those were the days......

I have to add - taking a date and a bottle to the golf green - and hope your buddies aren't out doing donuts that same night or it isn't watering night.....!! :rolleyes:

trickskier
10-12-2006, 04:51 PM
Come on JC you've never done donuts on the golf course?

Chief
10-12-2006, 04:55 PM
Come JC you've never done donuts on the golf course?
I course I have! But looking back I don't think I did as much damage then as I do now when I play a round!

Archimedes
10-12-2006, 04:59 PM

How could you possibly leave fireworks out of that list?:D

Remember when you could celebrate the 4th in your OWN neighborhood without having to drive to some park to watch it from 2 miles away?

Remember how even as a 10 year old you managed to use M-80s without blowing off your hands or taking out your eyes?

Tryin-again
10-12-2006, 05:02 PM

Remember when you could celebrate the 4th in your OWN neighborhood without having to drive to some park to watch it from 2 miles away?

Remember how even as a 10 year old you managed to use M-80s without blowing off your hands or taking out your eyes?

And bottle rocket wars!!! (Probably stupid - but it was fun and no one in our bunch lost an eye - maybe a few ear drums - although that was probably shooting/hunting for years without ear protection) :D

Monte
10-12-2006, 05:09 PM
I course I have! But looking back I don't think I did as much damage then as I do now when I play a round!

HEY! I resemble that remark:rolleyes: Ever have a buddy wear football cleats to play golf in??? Talk about screwing up a green... we were only 12...:rolleyes: Of course thats also when we would hang around in the woods beside the greens waiting for shots to come over the knoll on 5 at woodbridge (where I live now) grab the balls while they couldn't see you... Hide out and watch how pissed off they got when they couldn't find it... or how happy they got when it was in the hole? Usually we'd split the difference.... one was happy one was mad as hell!! Looking back I would have beat my own a$$ had I known!!!

Archimedes
10-12-2006, 05:24 PM
And bottle rocket wars!!! (Probably stupid - but it was fun and no one in our bunch lost an eye - maybe a few ear drums - although that was probably shooting/hunting for years without ear protection) :D

Oh yes! The memories.

How about convincing one of your buddies to run around the yard with a football helmet on or a garbage can lid in hand, while you shoot at him with BB guns?

Or who remembers Kill the Guy with the Ball? My wife nearly had a stroke when I suggested that my son and his friends play that in the yard.

pilot02
10-12-2006, 05:38 PM

Ummm? I blew the 2X16 railing off the side of a bridge with a quarter stick when I was about that age... Dang that blast was loud!!

Tryin-again
10-12-2006, 05:41 PM
Oh yes! The memories.

How about convincing one of your buddies to run around the yard with a football helmet on or a garbage can lid in hand, while you shoot at him with BB guns?

Or who remembers Kill the Guy with the Ball? My wife nearly had a stroke when I suggested that my son and his friends play that in the yard.

Yea, Friends would come up to the ranch - when we were 10 or so..... we would leave the house at daylight and wander all over the country, down the creeks etc.. with at least one .22 pistol or rifle or both... we would come home til we got hungry usually afternoon...

Now, I have friends come out and if kids are out of sight for 10 minutes - man everyone goes into panic mode.... and guns - NO WAY, NO HOW...

trickskier
10-12-2006, 10:24 PM
Nothing like doing a powerslide around the 18th hole!!!

Chief
10-12-2006, 10:26 PM
Yea, Friends would come up to the ranch - when we were 10 or so..... we would leave the house at daylight and wander all over the country, down the creeks etc.. with at least one .22 pistol or rifle or both... we would come home til we got hungry usually afternoon...

Now, I have friends come out and if kids are out of sight for 10 minutes - man everyone goes into panic mode.... and guns - NO WAY, NO HOW...
Wasn't that called "SMEAR THE QUEER"?

Archimedes
10-12-2006, 10:32 PM
Wasn't that called "SMEAR THE QUEER"?

Yup, same game.