PDA

View Full Version : Prostar SS

CarlosCabanas
10-11-2006, 09:33 PM
Hello

Why is it there is no ski boat in the Saltwater Series? What would you recomend to someone who wants to run in salt water?

Carlos

TMCNo1
10-11-2006, 09:36 PM
Get a Prostar with the closed cooling system! The SaltWater Series only comes in the V-drive configuration according to Mastercraft.com

Sodar
10-11-2006, 10:37 PM
I am with you Carlos. Living less than 3 miles from the bay, a SS Prostar would be incredible. Having grown up around saltwater boats, MC's quality is impressive, yet not made for the saltwater. A fiberglass floor, with all stainless hinges, fastners and accessories would give an owner the ability to spray the interior out with freshwater. If anyone from MC is listening, I would be the first to order a SS Prostar 197!!!

TMC No1, I have a prostar with closed cooling and have given it a salt bath on two occasions and in two ocassions, I can tell you that a PS would not last in the salt for more than 1 year without substantial problems and degradation to components. Salt is a beast that is second to none!!

Workin' 4 Toys
10-12-2006, 07:59 AM
Why not a BF200 with an outboard?

Sodar
10-12-2006, 10:19 AM
Why not a BF200 with an outboard?

The motor is only one aspect. When in salt, corrosion of all the components comes into play (seat slides, hinges, etc.), there are also issues with bonding, sacraficial anodes, etc. The biggest problem I have seen on tournament boats used in the salt is the steering cables corroding and snapping, it seems they need to be replaced quite frequently, due to the fact that they lay on the bilge floor, that is why the SS used hydaulic.

CarlosCabanas
10-13-2006, 05:40 PM
Would waxing the interior help? What about changing the parts mentioned with the parts from a SS? Might be cheaper to order a Prostar SS special..... don't know if they'd do that?

Carlos

Workin' 4 Toys
10-14-2006, 04:02 PM
The motor is only one aspect. When in salt, corrosion of all the components comes into play (seat slides, hinges, etc.), there are also issues with bonding, sacraficial anodes, etc. The biggest problem I have seen on tournament boats used in the salt is the steering cables corroding and snapping, it seems they need to be replaced quite frequently, due to the fact that they lay on the bilge floor, that is why the SS used hydaulic.
A few months ago, I went boardin' behind a BF200 in salt. The guy has had it there for years. If I recall, he said the boat was on its 4th motor, and the hull could well have had 4-5K hours on it in salt. I didn't ask about the details.
I also can not say what maintenance is required.
But I can say you don't need salt water to have to replace a cable after 2 or 3 years.

erkoehler
10-14-2006, 04:34 PM
One of the main factors is that the engines used in the SS boats is larger, and would work well space wise in a DD boat.

CarlosCabanas
10-16-2006, 11:09 AM
So Does anyone know if MC does special orders? i.e. a salt water 197 prostar!!

CarlosCabanas

erkoehler
10-16-2006, 11:57 AM
You can get either an LY6 or MCX engine in the SWS package.

pq2
10-16-2006, 12:05 PM
I use my PS197 in salt water and I spend more time washing and cleanning than skiing. With less tha a year the manifulls need to be changed because they have holes (i flush the motor every time i used and once a week i use salt off). Im thinking on selling this boat and search for one that works better with salt. Maybe the SWS package is my next option.

Ric
10-16-2006, 12:06 PM
So Does anyone know if MC does special orders? i.e. a salt water 197 prostar!!

CarlosCabanas
Call MC customer service
It's ashame but I know there are options that my dealer didn't know about and there are items that you cannot do, that I was told we could do.

Not blaming my dealer or MC but rather a general lack of communication between dealers and MC as I have worked with other MC dealers as well.

Call Vonore.

pq2
10-16-2006, 12:49 PM
wich manifolds do you recomend for salt water???

erkoehler
10-16-2006, 12:52 PM
wich manifolds do you recomend for salt water???

You can put a SWS engine (mcx/ly6) in a 197....that should solve your problem

pq2
10-16-2006, 12:58 PM
Thanks Erk, I have an mcx motor now Im looking to change the manifolds, wich kind will resist more???

mrm2083
10-16-2006, 02:47 PM
You can always replace the manifolds with stainless steel ones such as these http://www.hitekmarine.com.au/ They're expensive but you probably wont ever have to replace them. You should also get a closed cooling system, with closed cooling and stainless manifolds and risers you shouldn't have problems with any salt in the engine. I bought an x2 back in may and the boat has been great everything is perfect except that some rust is starting to appear on the manifolds. I flush the engine with salt away after every use and always keep a coat of boeshield T9 all over the engine but I guess coroding manifolds are inevitable, If I ever have to change them I'll probly get stainless ones

pq2
10-16-2006, 04:13 PM
thanks, they look perfect im looking for the dealer in america. Does any one know another brand??

TMCNo1
10-16-2006, 04:21 PM
You can always replace the manifolds with stainless steel ones such as these http://www.hitekmarine.com.au/ They're expensive but you probably wont ever have to replace them. You should also get a closed cooling system, with closed cooling and stainless manifolds and risers you shouldn't have problems with any salt in the engine. I bought an x2 back in may and the boat has been great everything is perfect except that some rust is starting to appear on the manifolds. I flush the engine with salt away after every use and always keep a coat of boeshield T9 all over the engine but I guess coroding manifolds are inevitable, If I ever have to change them I'll probly get stainless ones

Those manifolds are beautiful, all polished up!