PDA

View Full Version : Fogging Question

McFire
10-11-2006, 06:45 PM
I have an LT1 engine with EFI. How do I fog the engine? Is there some opening similar to what I had with a carburated engine? If so, is the procedure still "fog it until it chokes out"?

This winterizing is depressing. I am not ready to give up the ski season.

Thanks

east tx skier
10-11-2006, 06:48 PM
This thread (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=5625&highlight=fogging) might help. Talkes about fogging an L-18 (and some other advice about fogging MPI engines).

SD190EVO
10-11-2006, 07:19 PM
I pull each plug and spray directly into each cylinder. It doesnt do any good in an alum. plenum anyway.

André
10-11-2006, 08:07 PM
Be sure that the little red straw doesn't fall into the intake.
Happened to someone from the board...:(

McFire
10-12-2006, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the help. I'll be winterizing this weekend. It will be first time on the MC, so I hope it goes smoothly. Great info from here. Thanks to all who contribute.

Jesus_Freak
10-12-2006, 02:31 PM
Happened to me before working on my Nissan...

pflcjl
10-12-2006, 03:17 PM
can anyone tell me if there is a fogging port on the MCX...Couldn't find one

Andyg
10-12-2006, 04:24 PM
I always just sprayed it in the bottom of the intake on my MCX. I would give the engine some gas to open up the throttle plate and spray it directly at the bottom of the throttle plate until the engine choked pretty good and then shut it down with the kill switch.

I suppose you could spray it in the hole in the throttle plate also. I would make sure you hold onto the little red straw like Andre mentioned.

McFire
10-17-2006, 02:36 PM
I got my MC winterized over the weekend. I even got my 9 year old son to come along and work with me. He got to use some tools and learn a little about engines. It was a good experience for both of us. Thanks for all the help. The board rocks

jimmer2880
10-18-2006, 06:40 AM
I heard from a buddy who has an I/O with MPI, that MPI motors should have fogging oil sprayed in the intake. His mechanic says that the fogging oil will mess with the injectors?

They recommended sticking the fuel line in some 2-stroke/gas mix as a fogging alternative.

Anyone else hear that?

beatle78
10-18-2006, 03:22 PM
Yes, in the Clymer's Indmar repair manual is says MPI engines should have 26 oz LIQUID fogging oil mized with the 2 gallons of gas and run through the engine like that......

Marvel Mystery Oil is a liquid fogging oil.....

captain planet
10-20-2006, 11:28 AM
Happened to someone from the board...:(
I think about that every year when I fog it. I spray into the little hole at the bottom of the intake on my LT-1. I haven't lost a straw yet but I would hate to think what would happen if it got sucked in. :confused: Are we talking major surgery on that engine? Probably just remove the intake and fish it out?

beatle78
10-22-2006, 08:22 PM
I have read other threads on here and the straw dissapeared:noface:

Must have melted and headed out to sea

loeweb
10-25-2006, 04:46 PM
Yes, in the Clymer's Indmar repair manual is says MPI engines should have 26 oz LIQUID fogging oil mized with the 2 gallons of gas and run through the engine like that......

Marvel Mystery Oil is a liquid fogging oil.....

When you use MMO, do you dump it into the carb, or mix it in the oil. I think the bottle says to mix with the oil? anyone know for sure.

beatle78
10-27-2006, 12:14 PM
I dump it in the carb... MMO is a lightweight oil AKA fogging oil.... what you are referring to (I believe) is another use for MMO..... this stuff ROCKS!!!!

east tx skier
10-27-2006, 12:22 PM
Just pour it in slowly. When you see smoke start to come out of the pipes, you've sufficiently fogged it. Don't be suprised if the engine Diesels a little bit when you go to turn it off.

loeweb
10-27-2006, 04:15 PM
thanks so much for the info. I have the boat put up temporarily for the winter, but want to fog it to finalize the deal. thanks again.