PDA

View Full Version : Whats new out there in auto/marine audio?

ski_king
10-11-2006, 09:33 AM
I was killing some time yesterday in Target and saw they have a off brand car audio that not only includes a remote input for a MP3, it also has a memory card slot and USB port on the front face for MP3's. If I remember right the radio had a $80 price.

Do any of the name brand radios have simular features? I like the idea of loading a gigs worth of songs on a memory card and putting it in the slot.

ski_king
10-11-2006, 11:20 AM
Bump :)

sanjuan23
10-11-2006, 11:34 AM
I think Sony makes one where you can insert their propritary memory stick /card in when the faceplate is down.

LakePirate
10-11-2006, 11:38 AM
It seems very inexpensive for that technology. I would love to take a USB drive and plug it into a head unit. But, the required processor and OS to identify the device (all usb drives are different) and then to open the windows/mac file and either show the available songs on a screen, shuffle them, or straight playlist seems like a bit much. I guess you could use a software program on your 'puter and format the drive so that it could be used by the head unit.

ski_king
10-11-2006, 11:49 AM
The one I saw was simular to this. (http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?Source=googlebase&ProductID=15837)

I dont see where the technology would be any different than the cheap $50.00 mp3 players I bought my kids or the mp3 player on my cell phone for that matter. Just drag and drop the files to the flash card or usb drive.

I realize the one I refered to above is very bottom line, I was hoping there was a quality one out there.

LakePirate
10-11-2006, 12:15 PM
Is the USB port for plugging in a MP3 device or a memory stick. The fact that it would have to know the difference means it is more than a radio. Plug and Play.

Your phone already has an OS that can manage the files. If you were to download the files to the headunit, in the proper format, it should be rather simple.

I would love to have this technology, don't get me wrong. I just don't think it will be as functional as users would want it and lead to buyer remorse and disappointment.

I can see that the USB port is for your MP3 player and all of the song playing features would then be handled by the MP3 player, not the headunit. But to just plug in a 2 Gig USB drive and getting all of the functionality you need/want out of it is asking a bit much for one hundred bucks.