PDA

View Full Version : tower cover or cockpit& toneau x-15

rstitson
10-11-2006, 12:11 AM
I need some advice. We are purchasing an x-15 and have to decide on the covers options: with snaps (which we have on our current boat) or a tower cover (one piece no snaps). Our previous boat (much less expensive) has the snaps & two part cover; it travels very well. It has been suggested that adding the snaps to the hull is a crime.... We cover our boat a lot as we do not live on a lake and travel to many different places. Opinons requested.:)

erkoehler
10-11-2006, 12:23 AM
First, never trailer w/ the cover on a MasterCraft.
Second, always close the windshield while trailering. (You'd be surprised)
Third, I'd recommend the tower cover. Extremely easy to put on and take off, and works well.

prostar205
10-11-2006, 12:27 AM
Tower cover all the way.

Snaps have a tendency to get ripped out or snag clothing.

Sorry Erk - I tow with the new MC tower cover. It works great - no chaffing of the glass at all. I even have a metal flaked boat.

Archimedes
10-11-2006, 01:07 AM
Same here, I'd go tower cover all the way. And I'd never trailer with the cover on. You may be able to get away with it sometime, but that one time you don't get it tight...

sizzler
10-11-2006, 04:25 AM
i was told the same thing about towing with the cover off.........funny thing was that when it was delivered....they arrived with the cover on.....they told me a few months later it was wise to tow uncovered..:rolleyes:

i do ,however tow it with the bow tonneau cover on.....

Chief
10-11-2006, 06:33 AM
I have snaps and I agree about snaps on the boat is a crime! It's the only thing I don't like about my boat. Is that done at the factory or does the dealer do it?

sizzler
10-11-2006, 06:41 AM
i let my dealer put the snaps on.....i didnt trust myself to do it.....i was nervous when i drilled thru my tower to nut-rivet the bimini top as it was.....my friends helped to mark it out....they then backed off as i drilled:D

michael freeman
10-11-2006, 08:57 AM
I prefer the Tower cover, it is very easy to put on, covers more and no snaps.

rick s.
10-11-2006, 12:33 PM
no snaps for me...

rick s.
10-11-2006, 12:37 PM
Hey Erk,
I've always towed the boat with the cover on and never had any problems. The new boat has the black MC cover that fits really tightly around the boat, and keeps the bugs and dirt off. I commonly tow 60 to 90 miles each way...

beatle78
10-11-2006, 12:48 PM
hi guys,

could you post pics of your different cover setups? I'm probably going to get the XTP zeroflex tower and I need ideas for a cover....

thanks!

rstitson
10-11-2006, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the info guess I will try to convince my wife no snaps.....that's the way I wanted to go. Note yes the factory puts on the snaps. The only good thing about the tonneau cover is that on a cold day/rough water you can leave it on.

ridehype4life
10-11-2006, 12:56 PM
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e37/Vaughnwarrior09/X1thread-1.jpg

Our tower cover setup.... no complaints at all.

Archimedes
10-11-2006, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the info guess I will try to convince my wife no snaps.....that's the way I wanted to go. Note yes the factory puts on the snaps. The only good thing about the tonneau cover is that on a cold day/rough water you can leave it on.

Just close the windshield and snap in your pass through cover. Don't all MC's come with them?

WakePowell
10-11-2006, 01:56 PM
Here is a picture of a new boat cover I bought this summer for the long drives. It is made out of Sunbrella material and ratchets tight around the boat at the water line and buckles to the trailer. Towed it 2,100 miles round trip to Lake Powell in September and it worked great.

WakePowell
10-11-2006, 01:59 PM
Another picture from the front.

jkski
10-11-2006, 02:19 PM
Every boat I've owned has had snaps and I have always towed with the cover on and had no problems. With that said, my snaps go into the underside of the rubrail, so you never really see them, DO NOT LET ANYONE PUT SNAPS INTO YOUR FIBERGLASS.
At one point, my cover also had a drawstring, however, when drawn tight, it would leave marks on the fiberglass that needed to be rubbed out. Do the MC ratchet covers chafe the fiberglass when trailering?

rstitson
10-11-2006, 03:34 PM
The x-15 comes with an aluminum foldup solid gate for the walk though .. works nice. I like the idea of the snaps in the underside of the rub rail but the one I saw from mastercraft had them on the outside of the hull above the rub rail..... pretty sure I'll convince my wife to go with the tower cover.. I will show her the pictures here.

beatle78
10-11-2006, 04:07 PM
I like the cover, but I have a slightly different situation....

My boat stays moored, so I don't need the trailer ratchet stuff.....

I do like the swim platoform cover.... can I use that on a boat that stays in the water?