PDA

View Full Version : Buzzword

Farmer Ted
10-10-2006, 11:39 PM
What's the WOD (word of the day) at your work?

"Robust" seems to get a lot of use/misuse in my realm.....

LakePirate
10-11-2006, 12:00 AM
I worked with a moron who used "Basically" 4 times per fragmented sentence.

There was another clown who said "Ibakwitchu" everytime he was on the phone.

Hold Please.......Ibakwitchu

dapicatti
10-11-2006, 12:34 AM
A senior member of our staff always says "To be honest" as if they are always dishonest otherwise.

stevo137
10-11-2006, 12:44 AM
One of our latest "buzzwords" is: we're facing some very significant "HEADWINDS" now... :rolleyes:

sizzler
10-11-2006, 04:15 AM
at our place its "moist".........:D

Farmer Ted
10-11-2006, 07:51 AM
One of our latest "buzzwords" is: we're facing some very significant "HEADWINDS" now... :rolleyes:

Somewhere along the line a senior powerpoint ranger used Robust, now it's as though you get bonus points if you can work robust into a converstation at least 10 times

my favorite, was an E-9 who had an impromtu come to Jesus meeting one day and in his attempt to dress us down he spouted "you guys need to act more professional" my buddy, the one guy every place has raised his hand and asked, "shouldn't we just be more professional"

he got a trip behind closed doors.....

Workin' 4 Toys
10-11-2006, 08:27 AM
Yesterday's was.... "Mutha ******"

dog paw
10-11-2006, 08:35 AM
Instead of just replacing it we have to "change it out" "That being said" it makes me want to barf.....:D

Ric
10-11-2006, 08:43 AM
"Precision" Grossly over-used AND misused in my world

Workin' 4 Toys
10-11-2006, 08:45 AM
Today's is....:woohoo:

MCsJCPs
10-11-2006, 09:24 AM
i get "good enough" from a jr. member of the staff everytime we discuss work. "good enough" for me is just not "good enough"!

Upper Michigan Prostar190
10-11-2006, 09:37 AM
OH I have lots of those at work. W-T-F is a standard. Biotch is a good one. **** is an old standby, as well as ***** ******. Stupid ***** is one thats growing on me. Dumb *** always works too.

One I hate is "whatsoever" that is just annoying.:rolleyes: "no problem whatsoever" :rolleyes:

or how about "fore-go", thats another one.

People just want to sound smart saying those too much.:noface:

jbfootin
10-11-2006, 09:46 AM
Here it is Lean, Strategic and Synergy. Oh, and nothing is ever wrong or bad, it is an opportunity.

Personally I like "Stick it to the man" the best :D

RexDog1
10-11-2006, 10:04 AM
"pro-active"

I hate this one so much :mad:

sanjuan23
10-11-2006, 10:07 AM
If I hear "Not so Much." One more friggin time this week I think my head is gonna explode you dumb *****!!!! :rant: You either have a need for my tools or you're wasting my time today! That's it rant over.

sizzler
10-11-2006, 10:19 AM
i absolutely detest the word "whatever"......arrghhhh

east tx skier
10-11-2006, 10:22 AM
Not in my office, but I get pretty tired of hearing "Nu-ku-lur."

The more common thing I hear missused lately is the improper use of "less" versus "fewer."

LakePirate
10-11-2006, 10:24 AM
If I hear "Not so Much." One more friggin time this week I think my head is gonna explode you dumb *****!!!! :rant: You either have a need for my tools or you're wasting my time today! That's it rant over.

Having a hard time finding ladies to take you up on your offer to give them your tool?

LakePirate
10-11-2006, 10:24 AM
Not in my office, but I get pretty tired of hearing "Nu-ku-lur."

The more common thing I hear missused lately is the improper use of "less" versus "fewer."

English Major

sanjuan23
10-11-2006, 10:28 AM
Having a hard time finding ladies to take you up on your offer to give them your tool?

Nope. Just dealing with idiot customers who assume they know what they are doing. And they are the ones putting airplanes together:eek3:

east tx skier
10-11-2006, 10:29 AM
Yeah, yeah. Okay, settle down class. Time for the lesson. :)

In a general sense, just remember this. If you can count it, it's probably "fewer." If not, use "less."

Example: Doug can get around fewer buoys than BrianM. UMP has less upper body strength than Watergirl.

Noteable Exception: When refering to time, always use "less."

Example: The lake is less than fifteen minutes from my front door.

LakePirate
10-11-2006, 10:30 AM
:uglyhamme

Excellent Work Dr. Eastie.

When is our Exam? I want to know what day to come to class.

stevo137
10-11-2006, 10:38 AM
We need to expand our "Sustainability Commitments"
Increase our "Revenue Goals" and implement our "Price Increase Initiatives" to offset the increasing "Headwinds" of rising raw material costs... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the lesson Doug!
I could use MORE of that.

RexDog1
10-11-2006, 10:41 AM
“Offline”

I just got off a conference call with about 10 people, and I heard this one about 5 times

10-11-2006, 10:42 AM
Geez, are you trying to say that the girls are stronger than me? :o How did I get into this, by having poor grammar?8p

As Chris Rock once said, "why you draggin poor Tito into this? he aint never hurt nobody!" :D ;)

10-11-2006, 10:43 AM
OH heres another one. Launch. We get that all the time with GM. the "new product launch". NO!:mad: Rockets launch dumbarse! new models are introduced. :rolleyes:

east tx skier
10-11-2006, 10:49 AM
:uglyhamme

Excellent Work Dr. Eastie.

When is our Exam? I want to know what day to come to class.

I believe the most important question is, "Is this going to be on the test?"

X2M
10-11-2006, 10:52 AM
My 9 year old daughter had a little spat with my 12 year old daughter. At the end of the argument the 9 year old put one hand on her hip, snapped her fingers at the 12 year old, said "Don't make me snap my fingers in a Z formation" and then walked off.

I laughed, my 12 year old did not.

Now that is all I hear from either of them, constantly. Grrrr....

LakePirate
10-11-2006, 11:01 AM
I believe the most important question is, "Is this going to be on the test?"

That all depends.

I didn't care what was on the test, just wanted to know when it was going to be.

No reason to get up before noon if I didn't have to.

east tx skier
10-11-2006, 11:05 AM
My 9 year old daughter had a little spat with my 12 year old daughter. At the end of the argument the 9 year old put one hand on her hip, snapped her fingers at the 12 year old, said "Don't make me snap my fingers in a Z formation" and then walked off.

I laughed, my 12 year old did not.

Now that is all I hear from either of them, constantly. Grrrr....

http://gc.advancedmn.com/images/content/forums/ohsnap.gif

10-11-2006, 11:13 AM
Dont worry Lakey, I will call you about the test date and time. I am good like that. :D DONTCHANO!!! There how's that for a new buzzword? DONTCHANO! I Know Footin' loves it!:cool:

BTW, I still wanna know how poor Tito got dragged into this Eastie?;)

Workin' 4 Toys
10-11-2006, 11:20 AM
Why you gotsta get all up in my "grill"

(Eastie, what's wrong with that sentence8p )

Maristar210
10-11-2006, 11:20 AM
Dont worry Lakey, I will call you about the test date and time. I am good like that. :D DONTCHANO!!! There how's that for a new buzzword? DONTCHANO! I Know Footin' loves it!:cool:

BTW, I still wanna know how poor Tito got dragged into this Eastie?;)

Tito got dragged in becasue Tito's a$$ is ripe for kickin'

LOL......

Around here we say things like "It will come to fruition" or "given the obstacles they overcome I think...."

My version of come to fruition is more like "do it or get fired" but I am a total a$$ to work for.

Steve

Maristar210
10-11-2006, 11:21 AM

My boss says that. "Don't make me get all up in your grill"

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Workin' 4 Toys
10-11-2006, 11:24 AM
My boss says that. "Don't make me get all up in your grill"

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Funny thing is Steve, "Grill" in todays terms means Teeth.... Tell him that...;)

slink976
10-11-2006, 11:31 AM
"Thrown under the bus" if i hear that crap again i am going to.... Well actually do nothing, need this job to pay for my boat!

jbfootin
10-11-2006, 11:32 AM
It's funny when a boss tries to be hip when he is not:D Do you guys watch the Office. Friggin funny show!

east tx skier
10-11-2006, 11:32 AM

There should be a period after "grill." ;)

Check out this site (http://www.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php). Copy in that statement and let Rich have a go at it. :)

P.S. Under ordinary circumstances, my punctuation and grammar are suspect at best.

east tx skier
10-11-2006, 11:43 AM
Back on topic, I hate it when people point to an "exception that proves the rule." Anyone know how that works?

slink976
10-11-2006, 11:44 AM
got a few more!!!

1. Spot on (WTH does that mean)
2. Let me summerize, (I thought I just told you what i was trying to say)
3. Let me play the devils advocate (who brought religion into this!)
4. Wrapped around the axle (huh)
5. we need to be pro-active NOT reactive! (i didn't know there was a problem)
6. Critical path (right someone gonna die?)
7. let me take a stab at that (wth, you threatening me?)
8. running interferance (breaker breaker)
9. opportunity to work OT(f that)
10. Squared away (but we live in a round uneven world)
11. Be advised (sorry i was a sleep)
12. Make a note of that (wasn't really important to me)
13. On the right track (whoo thank god)

All of these where captured on the fly from a concall i am on right now!

LakePirate
10-11-2006, 11:45 AM
concall

:D

slink976
10-11-2006, 11:47 AM
lol, crap now I am doing it

10-11-2006, 11:49 AM
Heres one I use all the time, and I hate it when I do it.

"Whats your take on this?"

Why cant I just say "What do you think?":rolleyes:

sanjuan23
10-11-2006, 11:50 AM
"I wanna say...":mad: :mad:

Ric
10-11-2006, 11:54 AM
concall

:D that is the kinda buzzword that would irritate me

then again I had a customer complain that he didnt know what I meant in an email where I mentioned leaving a "VM" I thought everyone knew that meant voicemail;)

Maristar210
10-11-2006, 11:56 AM
I am not sure we can do that, let me go talk to my manager (smoke break)

M-Funf
When talking about the stuff we work on, one of the partners always uses the terms:

"Dynes/mm squared..."

"Push-Pull..."

and

"Torquability..."

:rolleyes:

The current one running around our office is:

Presenteeism...

slink976
Sorry just got another (same concall!)

Lets get together offline and Noodle this!

Tryin-again
All my employees are women - so my buzzword is "HUH???" :confused:

Ric
Yeah, yeah. Okay, settle down class. Time for the lesson. :)

In a general sense, just remember this. If you can count it, it's probably "fewer." If not, use "less."

Example: Doug can get around fewer buoys than BrianM. UMP has less upper body strength than Watergirl.

Noteable Exception: When refering to time, always use "less."

Example: The lake is less than fifteen minutes from my front door. but you would not want me to say that it takes less minutes for me to get to my ski lake than you.

Ric
10-11-2006, 11:58 AM
I am not sure we can do that, let me go talk to my manager (smoke break) I saw arliss do that on a show once... they were in negotiations and he stood up as if to be offended and said "I don't want to say anything rash but I am offended right now and the best thing for me to do is take a walk and cool down a moment" he went into another office, got the details of the bargain and walked back in with another offer that netted him more than the first and they took it BOOM

slink976
10-11-2006, 12:14 PM
"In the weeds" god this call is bad

LakePirate
10-11-2006, 12:18 PM
"In the weeds" god this call is bad

Somebody was a waiter.

east tx skier
10-11-2006, 12:21 PM
but you would not want me to say that it takes less minutes for me to get to my ski lake than you.

"It takes less time." "It takes _ minutes less." C'mon, Ric. The sentence has to be comprehensible or the rules cannot be applied. ;)

Ric
10-11-2006, 12:27 PM
true .

Farmer Ted
10-11-2006, 01:49 PM
another one is VFR direct.....

"We better go VFR direct to the boss...."

unless you're drving the plane, nothing is VFR direct.....

slink976
10-11-2006, 03:30 PM
All my employees are women - so my buzzword is "HUH???" :confused:

Dang didn't know you owned a strip club! Way to GO!!!

Tryin-again
10-11-2006, 03:50 PM
Dang didn't know you owned a strip club! Way to GO!!!

Unfortunatly - That ain't it..... Nice Dream though.... :D

slink976
10-11-2006, 04:54 PM
well i was hoping for you

T Scott
10-11-2006, 05:04 PM
"flawless execution" is the buzz word at my company

DanC
10-11-2006, 05:42 PM
I have some system engineers in Texas who love to say "yea verily"

"Actually" is the modern day "you know"

"time frame" as in "we're going to finish the test in the November time frame"

and my least favorite "easy on the eyes":rolleyes:

Farmer Ted
10-11-2006, 05:44 PM
I have some system engineers in Texas who love to say "yea verily"

"Actually" is the modern day "you know"

"time frame" as in "we're going to finish the test in the November time frame"

and my least favorite "easy on the eyes":rolleyes:

Hey Dan,

I got a job with Det 2, RNLT 31 Jan

DanC
10-11-2006, 05:54 PM
Hey Dan,

Congrats:toast:
Let me know if you want me to make any phone calls, but I'm guessing you're already plugged into a better info/support system.

Farmer Ted
10-11-2006, 05:58 PM
Congrats:toast:
Let me know if you want me to make any phone calls, but I'm guessing you're already plugged into a better info/support system.

I'm squared away, my man on the scene put in a word for me when the DCMA job fell through. All I need to do is sell the house, outprocess here, inprocess here (Barksdale is the servicing MPF) and hit the road.

Sounds simple, but my 7 page 125 task outprocessing checklist will certainly make up for any false impression of a seamless move....

If you ever make it out that way, we'll have to get a beer...

mitch
10-11-2006, 06:50 PM
Mitigate and spirit are far too over used in my line of work. Spirit as in 'the spirt of the request is.......' It's painful sometimes

tex
10-11-2006, 08:44 PM
leverage-to use external intangible politics for your avantage.

he got the deal because he leveraged his existing relationship with the factory.

6ballsisall
10-11-2006, 08:59 PM
"we have to remain relevant"
"positive momentum"

BriEOD
10-11-2006, 09:11 PM
I'm squared away, my man on the scene put in a word for me when the DCMA job fell through. All I need to do is sell the house, outprocess here, inprocess here (Barksdale is the servicing MPF) and hit the road.

Sounds simple, but my 7 page 125 task outprocessing checklist will certainly make up for any false impression of a seamless move....

If you ever make it out that way, we'll have to get a beer...
Where are you headed?

Is it a "virtual" outprocessing checklist? I love that, "virtual MPF." I suppose they really never did much to begin with so virtual fits the bill. If the shoe fits...

east tx skier
10-11-2006, 09:53 PM
Hey Dan,

Is that the one in Texas?

SD190EVO
10-11-2006, 10:19 PM
boil the ocean

coming down the pike/pipe (doubly irritating when it is mis-used by saing pipe)

Farmer Ted
10-11-2006, 10:38 PM
Where are you headed?

Is it a "virtual" outprocessing checklist? I love that, "virtual MPF." I suppose they really never did much to begin with so virtual fits the bill. If the shoe fits...

Greenville Texas, it's a Depot QA job

Farmer Ted
10-11-2006, 10:38 PM
Where are you headed?

Greenville Texas, it's a Depot QA job

Yeah Dougy, it's a job at the same place, different job though.

DrNautica
10-11-2006, 11:07 PM
"tools in the toolbox" has to be the most overused and annoying at my workplace. It's to the point that as soon as I hear "utilize all the tools in the toolbox" the conversation might as well be over for me 'cause I can't hear another thing.

Another is "CA" which stands for contemporary adult which in turn stands for anyone between the ages of 21 and 27. Actually, not anyone; just the hip ones.

Then there's a guy in my office who uses "basically" about 30 times a conversation. That one works out for me about as well as "tools in the toolbox" 'cause all I get out of it is... basically nothin'.

POS is another, which, in my industry, stands for "point of sale" which is short for advertising materials. I know that most of you probably saw POS and thought "piece of sh!t" which is truly ironic because much of our POS qualifies in that regard as well.

DrNautica
10-11-2006, 11:18 PM
By the way, I find this thread to be hilarious. I've laughed out loud several times.

10-12-2006, 08:32 AM
Yea, I hear you, In our industry its P.O.P. (point of purchase) materials for advertising. I get real excited about that too, NOT!:mad: :rolleyes: why cant they say "we have some advertising materials for you." ????

Workin' 4 Toys
10-12-2006, 08:34 AM
Yea, I hear you, In our industry its P.O.P. (point of purchase) materials for advertising. I get real excited about that too, NOT!:mad: :rolleyes:
And I thought that meant "PAY ONE PRICE".............

DrNautica
10-12-2006, 08:46 AM
OK. New day. New Morning.

Whoever mentioned "honestly" was right "on track". "Actually", at my workplace, "honestly" has pretty much been replaced by "quite honestly" which, I suppose, means that what I am about to tell you is extra true. So listen up and pay attention. If "honestly" preceeds my comment, it must be true. If "quite honestly" gets the nod, well then you can most definitely rest assured that you could bet your mom's life on what's coming next. However, if preceeded by neither "honestly" or "quite honestly", what I'm about to say is a total crock of sh!t and should not be relied upon in the least.

Of course, statements preceeded by "sincerely", "to be honest with you", "actually" or "quite frankly" may, or may not, have varying degrees of accuracy. How much credibility does a person have if they feel the need to follow a statement, any statement, with "...and I sincerely mean that"?

kpgotgame
10-12-2006, 09:30 AM
DrN
that is quite honestly very funny. and timely - we just had a big boss in from Corporate - and he answered several of our employees questions with "I quite honestly" blah blah blah - staff was not impressed as they felt that he was not actually speaking quite honestly.

We are all about acronyms.

There seems to be one for just about everything. Most people can't keep up in meetings because they are trying to figure out what the last acronym stood for.
I find it pretty funny watching people working them out.

Tryin-again
10-12-2006, 09:41 AM
My Best one.....

We had a real estate guy show us a house one time.

Every sentence began or ended with " Just Trust Me..."

Now, I ask - How can you trust a fella that has to tell you to trust them 500 times an hour...... (We didn't buy the house - didn't feel like we could trust the guy) :D

rcnjson
10-12-2006, 12:07 PM
You guys are boat fans, so is one of our VP's his buzzword is "bow wave". What he thinks that means is we have a bunch of orders that are due now and not very many after that. Suggesting that there is a large amount of work right now but not very much after that. I guess the funny part is we have a bunch of orders due now and a bunch of orders due after that. There is no bow wave.
Others that I remember from sales and hate with a passion are:
"better get your ducks in a row"
"not our cup of tea" or "NOCOT" or the more adult version "piss up a rope"
There was one salesman who would come up with his own buzzwords. For instance, he was on the phone with one of his customers who was probably asking for a faster delivery. He said,"this ain't no F'in McDonalds!"
There was another instance when the same salesman was passing along a price increase to a customer, a customer who probably wasn't too happy about said price increase and he said,"it would have been nice to buy gas when it was a buck-fifty too you F'in moron!"
k

beef
10-12-2006, 12:32 PM
Anybody ever see the episode of Futurama with the 80's guy? This thread reminds me of that. "Blank? Blank!? You let ME worry about blank!"

Ric
10-15-2006, 05:21 PM
I think I heard "Ratchet up" regarding N Korea at least 10 times this morning in a half hour of Meet the Press:rolleyes: