PDA

View Full Version : 1983 Stars and Stripes Clatter/Rattle

MMCCAR12
10-10-2006, 10:44 AM
I have a 1983 S & S with 495 original hrs. I noticed a rattle coming from the passanger side of the boat back by the dog house starting at about 22 mph. Checked the shaft run out and alignment. The prop looks great and the strut looks great, bushings look great (no offset wear), fins are perfect alignment, nothing is loose. Rudder has some play but greased and tighten up. Opened up dog house when running and cant hear any noise from inside engine or trans. Does anyone have any ideas?
Also does anyone know where I can get any Plastic body vent covers for this boat?

Also when I torque the rudder to the right underway the noise lessens quite a bit.

stevo137
10-10-2006, 11:30 AM
OK, these guys know that I'm mechanically challenged but could that noise have something to do with the damper plate? :confused:

BrianM
10-10-2006, 01:09 PM
OK, these guys know that I'm mechanically challenged but could that noise have something to do with the damper plate? :confused: Normally a damper plate would rattle in neutral and or very low rpm. Once you get above idle speed it will usually go away. The other thing is he said that he lifted the engine cover and did not hear the noise.

ski_king
10-10-2006, 01:13 PM
If it isnt from the engine or transmission, about all that is left is the hull.

Is it possible the floor could have become delaminated from the fiberglass stringers and starts to vibrate at the RPM reached at 22 mph?

I am grabbing at straws here, sorry not much help.

What does the rattle sound like?
http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/data/500/medium/2705_3.jpg

Bruce Carr
10-10-2006, 01:16 PM
Is it a rattling noise or a buzzing/ relatively high frequency vibration type noise?

east tx skier
10-10-2006, 01:18 PM
My brother-in-law's boat had an intermitent vibration only at certain higher rpms that turned out to be an improperly packed stuffing box.

MMCCAR12
10-10-2006, 01:59 PM
I have had very little water in the bilge (about a pint to a quart) I think the shaft and rudder box are all the original rope. The boat is cherry, even the interior is original MC. Had someone stand on the floor next to the dog house and the noise is still there. It is a rattle or clatter.
My friend has the same boat with 1100 hours on it and he does not have this noise. Its pissn me off.
Do you think the prop might be slightly out of balance?

EricB
10-10-2006, 02:45 PM
Do you have an extra prop or can you get one of a different pitch and/or blade configuration? This will change engine rpm's (at 22 mph)and then you can tell if the noise it is inherent in the hull or it is in the drive train.

Bruce Carr
10-10-2006, 04:35 PM
Is your boat an early or late '83. The early '83 boats had wood floors. If they are wood, you would not have the floor delamintion issue.

Try this: when underway run your hand down the rub rails pulling them up against the hull as you go. My '83 had a buzzing sound at some specific speed and it turned out to be the port rub rail was a little loose causing it to vibrate. It was very irritating. The fix was to add some screws into the hull under the black insert.

MMCCAR12
10-10-2006, 06:35 PM
I Think I Will Send My Prop Into Oj For A Check Up.
Ill Look At Hull Vin No. To See When It Was Built. Do You Know When The Wood / Glass Floor Cutoff Date Is For Mfg.

Thanks

Bruce Carr
10-11-2006, 01:49 PM
I Think I Will Send My Prop Into Oj For A Check Up.
Ill Look At Hull Vin No. To See When It Was Built. Do You Know When The Wood / Glass Floor Cutoff Date Is For Mfg.

Thanks

I don't know when the cutoff date for wood construction was but it is easy to tell if you have the wood deck and stringers. Look at the graphic attached to Skiking's post above. You will see that the fiberglass boats have a metal frame which is lag bolted to the floor on each side of the engine. The graphic above has a little box on the left showing more details of this construction. The wood boat will NOT have the metal frame; the engine mounts sit directly on top of the wood stringers and are lag bolted into the stringers.

MMCCAR12
10-11-2006, 07:06 PM
It's Glass, It Has The Metal. If It Is Delammed How Do You Fix It?
My Friends Boat (1984) And Mine (1983) Both Have A Buckeld Deck On The Passanger Side Next To The Dog House. I Just Thought That It Is Common On These Older Boats. It Oil Cans When You Walk Back. His Is Really Bad But Mine Does It Also.

DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM?

ski_king
10-11-2006, 08:08 PM
It's Glass, It Has The Metal. If It Is Delammed How Do You Fix It?
My Friends Boat (1984) And Mine (1983) Both Have A Buckeld Deck On The Passanger Side Next To The Dog House. I Just Thought That It Is Common On These Older Boats. It Oil Cans When You Walk Back. His Is Really Bad But Mine Does It Also.

DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM?
Check out this thread: http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=2577

MMCCAR12
11-06-2006, 06:29 PM
Got my prop back from OJ and put it on. Went to the lake last weekend and gave it a test. The drive seems smoother, however at about 24 MPH I still here a clatter at the rear of the boat. Im running out of Ideas.

Any of you SS owners have any noise back there?

How much water does your boat take on in the bilge? I get about a quart after about 4 hours.

east tx skier
11-06-2006, 06:33 PM
Did you ever check the packing? On my brother-in-law's boat, he didn't even have an abnormal drip rate, they'd just done something wrong. It's pretty easy to check, and cheap to replace if need be.

MMCCAR12
11-06-2006, 07:49 PM
I did tighten up the packing on the shaft and rudder box. But didnt replace the rope. It just didnt seem to be taking on enough water to have to do it. It almost sounds like the noise is at the strut support. But the shaft runout was good and the bearings look evenly worn. I got about a half turn on the screws which bolt the strut down to the hull.

I think your idea may be the next atempt. I really want to fix it before i put it away for the winter.

I may have to surrender it to Mastercraft.