PDA

View Full Version : Cypress Gardens Tickets

T Scott
12-09-2004, 08:55 AM
TT Admin,
As TMC members, we used to get complimentary tickets to Cypress Gardens. As I'm sure you are aware, the gardens have been closed for some time for a massive renovation. The park is re-opening and I'd love to check it out. Are tickets still available for TMC members? If so, what is the process for requesting them?

Tom

Stritt
12-10-2004, 01:49 PM
I am interested in this also. I thought about a little trip to Lake Roy Motel one weekend with the boat. I assume the gardens stayed with MasterCraft, I heard CorrectCraft was wanting to get in. What's the scoop?

tex
12-10-2004, 02:24 PM
I am interested in this also. I thought about a little trip to Lake Roy Motel one weekend with the boat. I assume the gardens stayed with MasterCraft, I heard CorrectCraft was wanting to get in. What's the scoop?

Neither, malibu.

TTAdmin
12-10-2004, 02:54 PM
Cypress Gardens officially closed two years ago. When it reorganized as an amusement park and under new ownership, the ski show portion of the park was put out for bid. MasterCraft put in a reasonable offer, but another brand was chosen as the tow boat. Unfortunately, after 25 years of partnership between the Gardens and MasterCraft, we will not be offering free Gardens tickets to our owners at this time.

Jerseydave
12-10-2004, 03:49 PM
Cypress Gardens officially closed two years ago. When it reorganized as an amusement park and under new ownership, the ski show portion of the park was put out for bid. MasterCraft put in a reasonable offer, but another brand was chosen as the tow boat. Unfortunately, after 25 years of partnership between the Gardens and MasterCraft, we will not be offering free Gardens tickets to our owners at this time.

That's a shame! Mastercraft has always been the traditional towboat of the gardens in my mind (stars & stripes). I would still go even if Correct Craft were there, but I WON'T be attending if Malibu is their boat of choice.

What other ski shows use Mastercraft?
Six Flags Great Adventure use to have MC boats, but I don't even know if they still have a ski show there anymore.

tex
12-10-2004, 03:52 PM
That's a shame! Mastercraft has always been the traditional towboat of the gardens in my mind (stars & stripes). I would still go even if Correct Craft were there, but I WON'T be attending if Malibu is their boat of choice.

What other ski shows use Mastercraft?
Six Flags Great Adventure use to have MC boats, but I don't even know if they still have a ski show there anymore.

it's not a boat show! it's a ski show!

Jerseydave
12-11-2004, 04:26 PM
Your right Tex, and I love to see the talent at ski shows.

I once drove form NJ to Wisconsin to see the ski show nationals and drove back home the same weekend....in a motorhome!!!

Those skiers are awesome out there.

The best ski show I've seen has to be Sea World in FL.
I think it was better than Cypress Gardens, but not knocking them, they were excellent too.

ski_king
12-11-2004, 04:32 PM
If I remember correctly before MasterCraft in the early 80's it was Glastron at Cypress Gardens.

I have seen the shows at Sea World Ohio and Cypress Gardens. In my opinion the one at the Gardens was better. Sea World put the show to a theme, I liked the pure ski show better.
Now Sea World Ohio is gone and so is Six Flags whoo took it over a few years ago. I am not sure if the new park owners have brought back the ski show or not.

Jim@BAWS
12-12-2004, 10:46 PM
Tom, TEX, 35th,

For me it has been nothing but PURE dissappointment for MC not being back at the Gardens. Having close ties to many of the skiers over the years and having had the priviledge of driving shows all over the USA with many of them.

The current owership of the Gardens did not yield to ANY of the consultation that was given to them about the SKI SHOW. MC did put in a bid that was more than adequate being that the GARDENS is now more than ever considered a "REGIONALIZED" park. Ownership was told to keep the show internal. A contracted outside firm has taken on the show. It has a 80's so called flair that has nothing new to offer. Limited skiers...only 6-8 per 20 min show and NO PYRAMID. Some tempers have flaired because the outside group brought in a few of there own staff who havnt a clue on how to run or operate a descent show. The jump act is sort of cool but very very dangerous for what they are asking the jumps to do. A few of the guys are already hurt.

The other M word is being utilized in the show I don't mean MOOMBA. If they are used like any of the other shows in the US they won't last a season. I see it as a stunt by M boat, to come in short term, get the PR of the re-opening then drop the ball just like they did for the US OPEN after 2-3 years. We will see MC maybe picking up the pieces again.

By the way GLASTRON was used at the gardens a few years in the late 70s/early 80s. The SKI MACHINE was a good boat for its time.

If anyone else wants more specific details call me at the dealership. I cant tell all here....yes I am disappointed. It is not like a huge effort was not given...they just did not listen We'll we will see

Jim@BAWS :mad: :mad: :mad:

jimmer2880
12-13-2004, 08:10 AM
That really bums me out. Thx for all the info Jim.

T Scott
12-13-2004, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the additional info Jim. Although it is a ski show, and not a boat show, it still won't be the same. Mastercraft has the history and heritage to match that of Cypress Gardens.
Jim- Maybe we can organize a Winter Haven Chain of Lakes reunion and park 50+ Mastercrafts along the outside of the ski stadium. That should get some attention!

Tom

Stritt
12-13-2004, 10:10 AM
Tom, I like that idea! It's just a short little drive from Orlando. Jim, thanks for the information.

atlfootr
12-13-2004, 10:32 AM
Let us know when, we'll be coming down from Atlanta :)

tex
12-13-2004, 11:11 AM
Jim--let me state my affiliation first. I skied for the "outside guys". The OG is a former garden's skier himself who has a tremendous amount of respect for the place. When I skied, he used only MC boats until he secured the Sea World California show. They had to use SN due to a Sea World contract that was already in place. The OG and his people know how to put on a show. They just seem to be tayloring more of the shows towards the x-games generation. Does the Gardens need a pyrimid, yes, but if I was still skiing and didn't have to carry it after footing, sky skiing, and jumping, I wouldn't lose any sleep. What is going on in the jump act that is so dangerous? I would love to know. Give the OG some time. As with any employer, I did not always see eye to eye with the OG but he is a great guy who I would gladly work for again(If I wasn't married living in the real world). As for lining up 50 or so MC's outside of the show circle, I only wish that I lived in Florida so I could join you! Take Care-Tex

Jim@BAWS
12-13-2004, 01:19 PM
It is a boat show !!!
Not one indoors on trailers...but it is a boat show. All those WORLD RECORDS and skiing firsts set behind the Mastercraft's over the years.
Boat intros (5 side by side), "spin outs"," bow to stern", "thread the needle", "jump boats", large acts being pulled. It is somewhat about the boats and how they have held up over the years and how much detailed info was gathered on how they hold up in those conditions. Why do you think a MC is built they way they are? Alot of that data that was collected at the Gardens. Experimental 1 off hulls going back to the the factory after 600-800 hours in less than 6 months Some of Mastercrafts boat building knowledge came from boats used at the Gardens. I dought if other "M" boat will do the same.

Jim@BAWS

PS Tex would sure like to talk offline sometime

tex
12-13-2004, 01:47 PM
I totally agree! I wish that MC's were still there. When you drive a boat for 4-5 shows a day and practice, you really see how they are made. At Sea World, they pulled the SN's at 200 hours(If I remember right?). At other shows, you have the same 3-4 boats all year. Drop me an email mspence@teksystems.com

Ski-A-Rees
01-07-2005, 01:25 PM
I'm upset!!! All the records are set behind a mastercraft! Just like my world record 10 men around the boat in my boat. I would be more than willing to go do the chain of boats in the lake. I'm really pissed!! Are whole club went to lake roy this summer the weekend after southern region tournament! We went down to the gardens and they were weeding! I heard they have less then 10 skiiers! If all this is true I don't wanna go anymore. Malibu can't just move in after all that history! i wanna cry!

BarefootWt
02-06-2005, 11:09 AM
This is a duplicate - sorry for the extra post here.

BarefootWt
02-06-2005, 11:22 AM
I visited Cypress Gardens over Christmas. I was both excited in that the ski show is back, and disappointed in that it was not the same as before. For starters, they are using Malibu boats instead of MC. I don't know what the deal is but I also went to McCormicks Ski School the same week and they have also switched from MC to Malibu do the the MC dealer not being able to provide competitive pricing from what I understand. Second, the show is now .5 hr long instead of 1 hr and does not end with the signature pyramid act. My understanding from one of the workers is that the insurance premium was too high for this act. I watched all 4 shows that day and loved each one (as long as I did not look at the tow boats :-)). The skiers are the best - my hat is off to them and I hope the show is just in the rebuilding stage in terms of length of show. The park has a lot more to offer now in terms of food and rides and is certainly worth the visit. I did not mind paying one bit.

BriEOD
02-07-2005, 07:33 AM
McCormicks switched back to Malibu? They were with Malibu and than switched to MC. I was there last June and they had PS 197's. Although Michael and Jim both had nothing nice to say about their dealer. They told me he renigged on a deal to keep a PS 197 with the big engine and went back on a boat sale they had worked out with a potential buyer...

Jim@BAWS
02-07-2005, 10:59 PM
Brian and everyone else... let the truth be known.

Bay Area WaterSports was suppling boats to McCormicks with some very very basic guidelines. Supply them with boats,(On our floor plan) give them a cost line to sell them, keep the prices fair. The boats where discounted because of promitional use. Let BAWS handle the sale, and pay commission. If Jim Mc had his way our boats would have ended up in Canada and Europe pissing off every dealer who was working a deal with there customers. MasterCraft has guidelines like we do. I don't just sell product into other dealers territories.

The boats had some expected dents and dings along with some broken parts. A service bill was submitted, per our contract for items listed. less than 10% of the bill was paid. The balance was a so-called commission on my part for 1 referral that was given in a years time. Who got the better deal? Unfortunatly we are not living in 1981 when MC Stars and Stripes retailed for 11K. Boats are not FREE and are expensive. We tried and tried and tried. Having failed at this promotion really eats at my stomach. Basically the only business item that we have not expanded on and grown from. A learning lesson for us. Really to bad. I have even referred lessons to them even now... today it stops after reading this post. BAWS was under NO commitment to keep a 197 w/ a LQ-9 motor there. We had one there and I SOLD it. I cannot supply a 50K boat for the 2 man jump team for Lituania to jump 80 ft. A 2004 197 MCX Slot will do just fine for 99% of jumpers in the world. "Just ask Freedy"

We are sorry it didnot work. Malibus selling guidelines are way less restrictive than MC. Dumping boats in Montana and North Dakota...have fun

Hope this clears the air

Jim @ Bay Area WaterSports

atlfootr
12-28-2005, 09:02 PM
Cypress Gardens Closed

The Water Ski world was stunned on Thursday, April 10, when Cypress Gardenís President & CEO Bill Reynolds announced the parkís closure as of April 13th.

In a statement addressed to members of the tourism industry, national media and friends of show skiing everywhere, Reynolds said, "This painful decision is one which the owners and operators of Florida

Cypress Gardens have little to no control over. The circumstances dating back to September 11th, 2001, which brought about an immediate decline in the tourism industry, are part of the decision to close. Attendance, the parks major source of revenue, has never rebounded from this event. Even with the best entertainment offering in its history, the parkís March attendance was down 42,000 visitors from the previous year."

Reynolds and his ownership team acquired the Cypress Gardens property on April 1, 1995 from the Anheuser Busch theme park division. The sale took place in an effort to better position Cypress Gardens for continued operation. It was believed that a private entrepreneurial ownership would be the best course of action for the small Central Florida attraction. Over the eight years of private ownership, despite imaginative and creative marketing strategies and substantial capital investment in the park, the parkís operators accumulated losses of over six million dollars.

With just 2 days notice, thousands of spectators traveled from all parts of the world to watch the Gardenís final ski show. Traffic was backed up for miles. Both sides of the stadium were also packed and hundreds were forced to sit on grassy banks. Fifteen thousand fans are said to have shown up and the Cypress Gardensí staff performed a special salute to skiing and the Gardenís "old-timers" that included a patriotic red, white and blue pyramid. After the show, many of the Gardensí current and former skiers shared their disappointment with each other and reflected on 67 years of shows - the longest running live performance in the world. It was a somber afternoon.

"Show skiing has always been a family affair," said Skip Gilkerson, MasterCraft employee, former Cypress Gardens skier and Water Ski Hall of Famer. "If your parents, uncles or aunts skied there, then it was your dream to ski there. My sister and my nephew Matt May skied at Cypress Gardens. Not everyone wants to grow up to be a professional show skier, but at least they had the choice."

"This is a real blow to the sport of water skiing," said MasterCraft President & CEO, John Dorton. "I was 10 years-old when my family and I first went to Cypress Gardens. It was one of those happy vacations you remember as a child. I remember the swivel skiing and boat driving the most. We still have old home movies of the show."

Gilkerson, Dorton, MasterCraft employees and many others are mourning the loss of Cypress Gardens. If it werenít for MasterCraftís association with the Gardens since the early 1970's, the companyís products may not have been as renowned. Every year MasterCraft supplied the Gardens with brand-new ski boats that were used rigorously by the showís skiers and drivers, validating the companyís product. Many MasterCraft product innovations started there. Donny Croft, Russell Daley and Jimmy Campbell, Cypress Gardens' drivers, put more hours on MasterCrafts than anyone in the history of the company. Thanks to Cypress Gardens, MasterCraft is the quality brand it is today.

Many Team MasterCraft members will be equally saddened by the parkís closure. Team MasterCraft members from across the country have gathered every summer for countless years at Cypress Gardens during the companyís east coast national reunion.

As a result of the parkís closure, show ski staff have been laid-off. Some of the showís staff, like announcer Mike Markowitz, have been at the Gardens for over 25 years.

"Iím hoping to go to nursing school," said Shaune Stoskopf, a full-time Cypress Gardens show skier for 18 years. "But a lot of the others donít know what theyíre going to do and havenít found jobs. Fortunately, some have found temporary work at the Wisconsin Dells for the summer."

Sadly, only a skeleton crew will remain to secure the Cypress Gardens property and wrap up the parkís affairs.

"One reason this decision is so painful is because of the tremendous efforts that have been undertaken by the Cypress Gardens employees to provide a wonderful experience for its guests," commented Reynolds. "Iíd like to thank them for all of their dedication and work over the years."

The parkís closure has received national attention and itís rumored that President Bush and Governor Bush are lobbying to save the park. The American Water Ski Educational Foundation (AWSEF) is also attempting to preserve the showís history and collect items including equipment, pictures and film for the USA Water Ski Hall of Fame.

"As we speak, the foundation is trying to put our hands on as much as we can," said Carol Lowe, AWSEF director. "Weíre making every effort to preserve history."

Only time will tell what will become of the Gardens and other prominent show ski shows. Only a few parks in the world are continuing the tradition.

"Itís a blow to the sport of water skiing," said Dorton. "We wish the best to all of the people that have dedicated so much time and attention in their lives to Cypress Gardens. Thereís a litany of skiers that have been there. Itís been a great breeding ground for water skiing and an environment where young kids have aspired to eventually train and reach the pinnacle of show skiing. Itís got a lot of happy water ski memories. Itís a tragedy that itís closed, but weíre grateful for the affiliation MasterCraft had over the years."

T Scott
12-28-2005, 09:23 PM
True, the park closed down for a while, but it was re-opened and they have added some roller coasters and updated the park. I have not had a chance to check out hte new park or see the new ski show (pulled by Malibu :( . I hope to get the family over there this spring, so I'll take some photos and post a report.

costal190
12-28-2005, 10:08 PM
We would love to take part in a MC boat show there. Drop us a line when it is put together.

mplv
12-29-2005, 01:48 AM
its a long drive but i supposed i could make it

Byrdman
12-29-2005, 11:52 AM
My family and I live in Winter Haven about three miles from the Gardens. Although they are using the "bu" boats, it is still worth seeing. The guy that bought Cypress Gardens also owns a Wild Adventures park in Georgia. Giving credit where credit is due, this guy has come in and bought The Gardens, and has poured TONS of money into it out of his own pocket. He actually saved The Gardens from being developed into condo's. I cant speak for him, but I would guess that he is trying to to the best he can, and that might mean cutting a few extra expenses here and there. It is unfortunate that they are not using MC any longer, but it was really terrible watching The Gardens close down and deteriate over a year. I think that when he starts to make some money, he will consider other options, but first he needs to break even. We buy annual passes every year, and they only cost $69 per person, and we go to the park quite a bit, but we mainly view the ski show from the lakes. Here is a standing invitation for anyone to come join us anytime. Winter Haven has a "Chain of Lakes" that can keep you busy all day....

Byrdman
12-29-2005, 11:55 AM
AS far as a MC boat reunion goes, Zane Schwenk, our S.E. MC Rep lives here in Winter Haven as well. If there is enough interest, I can speak to him about it. Maybe MPLV and I can get it started.....

mplv
12-29-2005, 01:35 PM
do i know you?, i have the yellow x-1 on eagle lake

Byrdman
12-29-2005, 02:12 PM
do i know you?, i have the yellow x-1 on eagle lake

I dont know, I am usually in the eastern part of the chain (Lulu to Winterset). I used to have a yellow and White Prostar 190, but I just traded it in on a 05 X-2. What is your name? Do you live on Eagle Lake?

mplv
12-29-2005, 02:24 PM
matt, yeah on the southern tip on crystal beach rd

Byrdman
12-29-2005, 04:15 PM
Well we need to get together and do some boarding. Where did you get your boat?

Jim@BAWS
12-29-2005, 04:34 PM
matt, yeah on the southern tip on crystal beach rd

Matt Call Jim@BAWS ASAP

Thanks Left you a PM

(813) 996 2297

shepherd
12-29-2005, 06:31 PM
- Maybe we can organize a Winter Haven Chain of Lakes reunion and park 50+ Mastercrafts along the outside of the ski stadium. That should get some attention!

It would look something like this :)
Cypress Gardens 1999, when Mastercrafts were welcome. We had a front row view of the ski show :popcorn:

shepherd
12-29-2005, 06:33 PM
And this... :popcorn:

Farmer Ted
12-29-2005, 07:22 PM
And this... :popcorn:

Looks like the place to be!

keep 'em coming! :headbang:

atlfootr
12-29-2005, 07:39 PM
its along drive, but i supposed i could make it
Yeah right, like what -- a mile?

mplv
12-29-2005, 07:48 PM
byrd, i got it from jim
jim, ill call you soon
atlfootr, yeah its like a mile but i dont have a tow vehicle so it really is a quite a way to push it

shepherd
12-29-2005, 11:46 PM
Looks like the place to be!

keep 'em coming! :headbang:

OK, a have a few more for old time's sake...
They gave us our own parking area, a picnic, and free tickets to the Gardens... (I should thank, belatedly, Liquid Sports of Orlando for organizing this).

Oh yeah, that's my boat in the middle :wavey:

shepherd
12-29-2005, 11:49 PM
One more. We all met at the ramp here in the morning before parading around the lake chain on the way to Cypress Gardens. (Maybe mplv recognizes this spot...)

mplv
12-30-2005, 02:35 AM
ex girlfriend lives 3 houses down from that ramp

Byrdman
12-30-2005, 11:42 AM
byrd, i got it from jim
jim, ill call you soon
atlfootr, yeah its like a mile but i dont have a tow vehicle so it really is a quite a way to push it

I can tow it to the chain for you for a pull, :uglyhamme

mplv
12-30-2005, 11:50 AM
my buddy has a truck that i can usually trade my viper for, sweet deal huh.

Byrdman
12-30-2005, 05:19 PM
Yeah, For him.....