PDA

View Full Version : Generator ....................?

Workin' 4 Toys
10-09-2006, 09:38 PM
For if the power goes out. I'd probably use it to back up a frig, basement sump pump, maybe some lights, and who knows what else depending on how long it goes out. It gets a little cool here in the winter. About zero at times.

Open to suggestions....

Roonie's
10-09-2006, 10:09 PM
We recently built our cabin. When we built it there was no power to it yet so we had to run generators for all the power tools. We bought a Honda portable generator and finished the project with it. Now we use it for backup power. It does the job and it runs about 8 hours on a 8 gallons of gas or so. We installed a seperate breaker with a plug in for generator. It is noisy but it stores away when not in use. It is the cheap version around $1500. They also make non-portable generators for more money does the same thing. Just depends on how much you want to spend.

Hoosier Bob
10-09-2006, 11:08 PM
Other than a Tordadi I have found it usually happens in the winter! Plenty of fridge space on the back porch and plenty of heat in the fireplace. Now campin' is where it is at! Big screen in the back of the pickup! It is just like the drive inn!8p

Workin' 4 Toys
10-10-2006, 12:01 AM
It seems as if 90% of the people I ask, whether they own them or not, say Honda.... Then apparently there is "Powered by" honda.....in which every other brand has. So what else is there?

Hoosier Bob
10-10-2006, 12:04 AM
I actually utilize a 5.7 litre Chevy powered Gen III. I had a Diesel 7.882 Ford but found I could drain gas easier than Diesel. WFT if you haven't figured it out Honda makes everything BETTER!

bradamerry
10-10-2006, 12:06 AM
5600 watts, Craftsman, 6 gallon tank, Briggs and Straton, 8 hrs.

Most homes you can plug it into the dryer plug and run the entire house ( not the A/C or heat ). Just turn off the main...

6ballsisall
10-10-2006, 12:08 AM
I actually utilize a 5.7 litre Chevy powered Gen III. I had a Diesel 7.882 Ford but found I could drain gas easier than Diesel. WFT if you haven't figured it out Honda makes everything BETTER!

Are you serious???? You have a generator that big????? :confused:

Hoosier Bob
10-10-2006, 12:09 AM
How long have you known me? Nothing I have is that big!8p
Who are you gonna please with that? ME!!!

6ballsisall
10-10-2006, 12:11 AM
How long have you known me? Nothing I have is that big!8p
Who are you gonna please with that? ME!!!

I think Lakey might be able to better speak to your size after your little episode in the hammock.

Hey! Speaking of, where is Lakey???? :confused:

Hoosier Bob
10-10-2006, 12:12 AM
He is out flying his heli!

Roonie's
10-10-2006, 12:20 AM
I forgot to mention ours is a 6500 continous watts generator with up to 8000 surge watts. Enough to power the whole house. Don't have an electrical heating system or AC at cabin so I don't know if it will power that. It starts everytime I pull it.

Most brands will have either a Honda engine (Porter Cable) or Briggs & Stratton. The Honda works wonders IMHO.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-10-2006, 12:22 AM
That is debatable

Workin' 4 Toys
10-10-2006, 12:28 AM
I have access to any brand around. I want something that lasts. But I have recently heard by a HONDA service center, they do NOT handle warranty claims well on their own equipment. HOWEVER, on Honda POWERED gens, depending on the "tag" they get handled better.
I had someone try to push a Mitsubishi 5800 on me. It was quiet, but I have never seen anyone with one in use. EVER.
I had a buddy of mine just pick up a BRAND NEW coleman 6500 powered by Tech. for $150.00 plus tax, another guy just picked up a brand new 6000WATT diesel (who knows what the name says) for $1000.00 but when it doesn't work, where does he go with it....No one knows.

Roonie's
10-10-2006, 12:32 AM
I think the exact price was around $1300. We looked at some of the permanent diesel generators but they started around 5000 and up. All I have to say it is a Honda and it runs like a strong like a tractor.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-10-2006, 12:39 AM
The best prices I have gotten on a genuine Hondas:
?????????

Diesel Gens sitting outside in zero degree weather, I wouldn't want to count on it.....

Workin' 4 Toys
10-10-2006, 12:39 AM
That Mitsu. 5800 I believe it was $1400.00

6ballsisall
10-10-2006, 12:42 AM
Does power go out in your area often enough to warrant one of these?

kurtr
10-10-2006, 12:45 AM
To be legal to connect a genset to the power panel of your house you will need some type of transfer switch. If I remember correctly the state of New York can impose a $100,000 fine if they find that you are back feeding your house with a generator and not using a transfer switch. The transfer switch will ensure that you can not back feed the utility and electrocute some poor lineman who is trying to restore your power. The transformer on the pole will transform the 120/240 output from your generator to the several thousand volts that the local utility feeds your neighbor hood with. That being said a 12000 watt generator connected thru a transfer switch will power most everything in your house including some 2 ton central a/c units. If I wanted to run the fridge and some lights in my house along with a sump pump I would look for something in the 2500 to 5000 watt range and use extension cords to connect the genset to the stuff that I wanted to run. If you pay attention you will see that for the same wattage output different companies will use different horsepower engines. The larger engines will have more motor starting capacity which you may need to start the compressor in your fridge or central A/C units. There are many brands out there and the price and relibility vary accordingly.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-10-2006, 12:47 AM
Not a usual occasion. But we had such a good storm blow through last monday, some areas were out for 3 days. Not my area, but some.
I can't see a back up sump pump system holding out for more than a day with rain.
And with a Deep basement, water is a thought. Not to mention food....

6ballsisall
10-10-2006, 12:50 AM
Not a usual occasion. But we had such a good storm blow through last monday, some areas were out for 3 days. Not my area, but some.]

WOW!!!!!! That right there would put me in the mood of buying one as well!!

Workin' 4 Toys
10-10-2006, 12:53 AM
To be legal to connect a genset to the power panel of your house you will need some type of transfer switch. If I remember correctly the state of New York can impose a $100,000 fine if they find that you are back feeding your house with a generator and not using a transfer switch. The transfer switch will ensure that you can not back feed the utility and electrocute some poor lineman who is trying to restore your power. The transformer on the pole will transform the 120/240 output from your generator to the several thousand volts that the local utility feeds your neighbor hood with. That being said a 12000 watt generator connected thru a transfer switch will power most everything in your house including some 2 ton central a/c units. If I wanted to run the fridge and some lights in my house along with a sump pump I would look for something in the 2500 to 5000 watt range and use extension cords to connect the genset to the stuff that I wanted to run. If you pay attention you will see that for the same wattage output different companies will use different horsepower engines. The larger engines will have more motor starting capacity which you may need to start the compressor in your fridge or central A/C units. There are many brands out there and the price and relibility vary accordingly.
I am well aware of transfer switches. And depending on if I can talk myself into the 6000+ units, or the 5000- units may or may not install one. Do I expect the power to be an issue, no, but is it inevitable, yes.
So, do I run extension cords throughout after the power goes out, and assume I will be around (my wife wouldn't touch my tools) to fire it up and plug everything it.
I have had a basement flood in a house once. Three houses ago, and I will never forget it. The last house I had three freak instances that got water in the basement, but through no fault of the power......
So.........:confused:

Leroy
10-10-2006, 12:55 AM
And I thought this thread was safe from this! Yep, Honda, unless you want to spend big $$ on commercial generator like in houseboats.

It seems as if 90% of the people I ask, whether they own them or not, say Honda.... Then apparently there is "Powered by" honda.....in which every other brand has. So what else is there?

Workin' 4 Toys
10-10-2006, 12:55 AM
WOW!!!!!! That right there would put me in the mood of buying one as well!!
That area I speak of was a buddy of mine. 380,000 or so customers were out the day of the storm monday, power restored thursday. And guess what comes with storms and outages, you guessed it, RAIN and WATER...

Workin' 4 Toys
10-10-2006, 12:56 AM
And I thought this thread was safe from this! Yep, Honda, unless you want to spend big $$ on commercial generator like in houseboats.
Like Onan and Caterpillars....;)
With you guys around, its never safe.....

Leroy
10-10-2006, 12:58 AM
My cousin has the full auto change over auto start generator for when power goes off. No she doesn't need it, but her dad was in the airforce and into this. She lives near Va beach and has used it couple of times after hurricane. Be sure to have a ~100 gallon tank to supply the generator. A gallon an hour will use this in 4 days.

Leroy
10-10-2006, 12:59 AM
Hey, I'm the good guy!

Like Onan and Caterpillars....;)
With you guys around, its never safe.....

Workin' 4 Toys
10-10-2006, 01:06 AM
Hey, I'm the good guy!
Yeah right, you Lexus driver you........8p

kurtr
10-10-2006, 01:17 AM
I am well aware of transfer switches. And depending on if I can talk myself into the 6000+ units, or the 5000- units may or may not install one. Do I expect the power to be an issue, no, but is it inevitable, yes.
So, do I run extension cords throughout after the power goes out, and assume I will be around (my wife wouldn't touch my tools) to fire it up and plug everything it.
I have had a basement flood in a house once. Three houses ago, and I will never forget it. The last house I had three freak instances that got water in the basement, but through no fault of the power......
So.........:confused:

I just brought up transfer switches because one of the replys was to back feed the dryer outlet. I have a good friend who is a lineman for the local utility.

I have seen manual transferswitches at the big box hardware stores and have seen them used with a plug outlet box on the outside of the house/garage to plug the portable set into. If you have the manual transfer switch feed a sub panel with the critical loads you would not need to play the extension cord game except to connect the set to the transfer switch plug. My wife would not touch any of this either. I would be on speed dial and she would say you need to get home and take care of this.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-10-2006, 01:28 AM
I would be on speed dial and she would say you need to get home and take care of this.
My wife asks me which screwdriver is ok for her to use....... I like it that way:D
I have seen some folks backfeed the service. And when I have seen that, I ask myself, now what IF that main breaker didn't "disconnect".....
Let's just say I like to play safe, not sorry. ;)

Leroy
10-10-2006, 01:31 AM
WFT, I thought you were in Chicago or some place in the USA? I can't imagine needing this elaborate setup unless you have critical power needs in your house like the frozen margaritas that will thaw?

PS; the best sump pump back up is the one that is powered by water. Cost ~$100 and works great.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-10-2006, 01:36 AM
WFT, I thought you were in Chicago or some place in the USA? I can't imagine needing this elaborate setup unless you have critical power needs in your house like the frozen margaritas that will thaw?

PS; the best sump pump back up is the one that is powered by water. Cost ~$100 and works great.
I'd have to guess, I probably have almost equal amounts of food and drink in house as the gen itself. Not to mention the potential amount of equipment water in the basement could damage.
On the water powered pump, what happens when the local pumping station/tower loses power???

Leroy
10-10-2006, 01:43 AM
Wow, $5k of food and drink, you need a back up.

Maybe it's where I live, but I've never seen the water quit working anywhere in all of my life. You normally see a generator at these critical places. Big, diesel, well taken care of generator.......I read this with interest as I would like to have generator back up even though I think there is ~no chance of using, I like the technology!

I'd have to guess, I probably have almost equal amounts of food and drink in house as the gen itself. Not to mention the potential amount of equipment water in the basement could damage.
On the water powered pump, what happens when the local pumping station/tower loses power???

Workin' 4 Toys
10-10-2006, 08:24 AM
More like 1k I guess......:o

Workin' 4 Toys
11-15-2006, 09:44 AM

Leroy, do you have one if these water powered sump pumps?

milkmania
11-15-2006, 11:37 AM
I just brought up transfer switches because one of the replys was to back feed the dryer outlet. I have a good friend who is a lineman for the local utility.

I have seen manual transferswitches at the big box hardware stores and have seen them used with a plug outlet box on the outside of the house/garage to plug the portable set into. If you have the manual transfer switch feed a sub panel with the critical loads you would not need to play the extension cord game except to connect the set to the transfer switch plug. My wife would not touch any of this either. I would be on speed dial and she would say you need to get home and take care of this.

back during our ice storm of 1999-2000, we fed a house that way...
but, we also pulled the electric meter, eliminating the possibility of back feeding voltage through the electric company's lines.

but, with so many people without electricity for weeks, it was every man for himself!

Ben
11-15-2006, 01:14 PM
5500 - 6000 watt seems to be fine for a lot of people I know. If you have gas heat & hot water, you can run everything but the a/c & stove.

Honda vs. briggs: IMO, honda is probably better, but due to the low amount of time I expect to use this item, I'd recommend briggs. Buy honda for a mower, snowblower, toys, things used on a regular basis. Or just save the money & buy beer to drink while running the generator...

Bruce
11-15-2006, 02:54 PM
If you have the choice go natural gas for obvious reasons. Keep in mind also the the cheape aircooled are not made to run for extended periods of time. Down here in Katrina land we had/have to run them for extended period of time and the aircooled will not hold up.

Leroy
11-15-2006, 04:46 PM
Several friends have them and love them, I've been looking and getting ready to put one in.

You can find them at any hardware store.

I had battery back-up sump pump in last house but won't do that anymore. Friend had his basement flooded with that battery back up. Ran for ~2-3 hours and then just flooded the basement while he was out of town for the weekend.

Leroy, do you have one if these water powered sump pumps?

BriEOD
11-15-2006, 06:31 PM
I have a 6500 Kw generator and wired in a transfer switch into the breaker. Fortunately, we had a quiet hurricane season and I never had to use it.

suedv
11-15-2006, 06:46 PM
My wife asks me which screwdriver is ok for her to use....... I like it that way:D

Rick likes it when I pick up a srewdriver use it. The more I know how to do the more independent I can be. I don't like to be helpless. I might not have strong muscles... but I have a strong will. :D

We have a Yamaha EF3000iSEB Inverter. We just got it this past summer. It has a surge rating of 3,500 watts and a continuous current rating of 2,800 watts. It is very quiet. It is great for going camping in a place without power because you don't bother the people around you.

We lose power frequently at our house. It is a big pain.

We have a tranfer switch on one of our houses but not the one we live in now. Last time we lost power we had to use extension cords. We will have a transfer switch at our house before the end of the year.