PDA

View Full Version : Hour meter not working

goramz
10-09-2006, 05:07 PM
I have a 1994 205 and the hour meter has quit working. The tachometer is working. I checked all the connections and they seem fine and there is "juice" getting to the posts on the back of the tachometer/hour meter. Any ideas? Do I just need a new one?
Thanks for any ideas.

vegashomeexpert
10-09-2006, 05:27 PM
That is a good thing, right?

east tx skier
10-09-2006, 05:36 PM
If you get a new one, you can hook it up to a battery first and let it run it up to whatever your actual hours are for accuracy's sake.

cwright
10-10-2006, 01:35 PM
My hour meter quit working this summer. I ran two alliagtor clips from the battery to the posts on the HM and it worked, so I knew where the problem was. I tracked down a loose ground wire on one of my guages that was affecting a variety of things.

If the alligator clip test reveals the HM as the problem, it is easy to find a replacement, either on-line, or at you local marine store.

Good luck.

pram
10-10-2006, 02:00 PM
My hour meter quit working this summer. I ran two alliagtor clips from the battery to the posts on the HM and it worked, so I knew where the problem was. I tracked down a loose ground wire on one of my guages that was affecting a variety of things.

If the alligator clip test reveals the HM as the problem, it is easy to find a replacement, either on-line, or at you local marine store.

Good luck.

I was wondering if your hour meter still showed the numbers or was it totaly dead (blank)?

Thanks

goramz
10-10-2006, 07:57 PM
The hour meter still shows the numbers. Thanks

pram
10-11-2006, 01:32 AM
That was a dumb question on my part I was thinking that it was digital display not an analog flip style.

Sorry

moabtj
10-11-2006, 07:26 AM
leave it alone until you sell it

jay
07-21-2010, 01:23 PM
I realize this is an old thread, but in lieu of starting another one, I am interested to find out if goramz ever resolved his issue?

My 93 S&S had 398 on the clock when I purchased it. It traveled to 399.99 and died there. So, I am seemingly having the exact same issue. I will check the back of the gauge cluster for connectivity and voltage the next time I get in it. In the mean time, does anyone have an idea as to where one could find a tach w/ hourmeter in it for the 91-94 PS 190 series?