PDA

View Full Version : need help...engine size and ballast???

Ole Miss Rebels
10-09-2006, 04:17 PM
I am considering buying a new X-star. My 2005 has an MCX with an upgraded OJ XMP "The Edge" prop. It performs wonderfully and is far more boat than I will ever need. However, I would like to have a Tournament level boat. Which engine should I consider and how much ballast can you order from the factory as an upgrade? does anyone out there have any experience with these two upgrades? Thanks in advance.

MYMC
10-09-2006, 04:23 PM
The largest engine available is the L-18 @ 8.1ltrs and 450 hp. I spend several hours each week driving a couple X-Stars and wouldn't consider owning one without it...IF you are going to ballast it to pro tournament levels.

There is no option for any ballast size other than the stock 1000lbs that is built in. For our boats we use lead and water bags. Total of additional weight would be about 3000 lbs. We do not fill the rear tanks of the stock system; however only the KGB (center tank) so the total would be around 3500lbs...plus full fuel (never ride with less than 1/2 tank).

Ole Miss Rebels
10-09-2006, 04:44 PM
thanks MYMC. Is their a way to enhance the plumbed-in tanks so that when they are full they overflow into a soft bag in the rear hatches? My concern is not having to use "over-the-side" pumps to fill and empty every time we go out. Often-times we have to pull out of the water quickly when thunderstorms pop up and there is no time for emptying bags. I want to throw a switch and sink the boat to the level I want, then just reverse the pump to empty the ballast.

Also, where do you put the 3500 pounds of ballast on your boat? thanks.

prostar205
10-09-2006, 05:04 PM
I, too, would agree with MYMC on the selection of the L-18. At first, I thought it was WAY TOO MUCH power for my X30. But, since I upgraded by ballast system to around 1,800 lbs, I need everyone ounce of power for boarding and surfing.

Regarding the ballast, I removed the two hard tanks (175 lbs each when full of water) and replaced them with the BI Pro X Fat Sacs which hold 750 lbs each. I put one on each side. It takes alot longer to fill the rear so I am looking for larger capacity pumps right now.

Blair
10-09-2006, 05:04 PM
id like to see the wake behind that MYMC... a few gratuitous rider shots would be welcome as well:D :D :D

erkoehler
10-09-2006, 05:06 PM
I wouldn't hesitate to put the LY-6 in a new X-Star. Chicago MasterCraft's demo for 2007 has the LY-6 and it performs AWESOME. Usually two 750 pound fat sacs are put in the rear in addition to the stock ballast.

MYMC
10-09-2006, 05:50 PM
thanks MYMC. Is their a way to enhance the plumbed-in tanks so that when they are full they overflow into a soft bag in the rear hatches? My concern is not having to use "over-the-side" pumps to fill and empty every time we go out. Often-times we have to pull out of the water quickly when thunderstorms pop up and there is no time for emptying bags. I want to throw a switch and sink the boat to the level I want, then just reverse the pump to empty the ballast.

Also, where do you put the 3500 pounds of ballast on your boat? thanks.
Ballast setup is as follows:
BI "extreme" 750lbs bag on each side in the rear along with 200lbs lead on the port rear and 150lbs on the starboard (placed against the transom). Fill center KGB. BI "extreme" tube sac under each bow seat filled as much as possible. 100lbs lead in the bow (cooler). The remainder of the lead goes under the rear seat evenly on both sides.

As I said before we DO NOT use the stock tanks for the rear and this is why we use so much lead. The stock tanks are too far forward and really serve to "round out" the wake.

The LY6 is a great engine; however, given what I know and what I have seen testing... the L-18 is still the choice for this application. If you want to save a TREMENDOUS amount of money then buy the LY6 and be prepared to change the prop and burn some fuel. The L-18 handles it with stock prop and turns less RPM which makes for less fuel burn, less wear and a softer pull. Like I said I've been setting up these boats for a long time and if you can justify the cost buy the L-18.