PDA

View Full Version : What oil to use ('01 LTR in 205V)

beatle78
10-09-2006, 02:10 PM
Hi guys,

So from all the threads, I've read, the Penzoil PZ-3 filter is OUT
and the WIX 51069 (aka Napa Gold FIL 1069) is IN :D

What about the Penzoil Marine Oil 15W-40 that's recommended in the Indmar LTR? (My dealer also sold me Penzoil 15W-40 Diesel and said that was just as good as the marine.)

Thoughts?:confused:

bigmac
10-09-2006, 02:39 PM
Hi guys,

So from all the threads, I've read, the Penzoil PZ-3 filter is OUT
and the WIX 51069 (aka Napa Gold FIL 1069) is IN :D

What about the Penzoil Marine Oil 15W-40 that's recommended in the Indmar LTR? (My dealer also sold me Penzoil 15W-40 Diesel and said that was just as good as the marine.)

Thoughts?:confused:Yeh, avoid the Pennzoil filter - it's made by Fram and is poorly rated.

Pennzoil Diesel 15w40 is exactly the same oil as Pennzoil Marine 15w40, just a different label.

beatle78
10-09-2006, 03:31 PM
So in summary

Penzoil Filter BAD
Penzoil oil GOOD

is that the general consensus?

bigmac
10-09-2006, 03:35 PM
So in summary

Penzoil Filter BAD
Penzoil oil GOOD

is that the general consensus?

I don't know about the consensus...it's just a fairly commonly held opinion.

JimN
10-09-2006, 03:35 PM
OTOH, how bad should the oil get in 50 hours of use? These motors aren't that fragile that occasional dirty oil will kill them instantly. Constantly dirty oil isn't good but if the oil is dirty 10% of the time, it shouldn't be that bad. Unless someone comes up with a filter that gets rid of 100% of the particles (which I wouldn't mind), there will always be some dirty oil in motors.

etakk7
10-09-2006, 03:38 PM
I used Shell Rotella T 15W-40 found at WalMart for my oil change. Seems like people on here find it to be decent oil as well. I winterized this weekend and I've got some pics to post later.

Also used Napa Gold 1069 filter

bigmac
10-09-2006, 03:49 PM
I used Shell Rotella T 15W-40 found at WalMart for my oil change. Seems like people on here find it to be decent oil as well. I winterized this weekend and I've got some pics to post later.

Also used Napa Gold 1069 filter

Pennzoil, Rotella T, Mobil Delvac -- it's all the same. The only significant difference is in the marketing.

beatle78
10-09-2006, 08:46 PM
hmmm...interesting....

Is there a certain rating of the oil that you use?

Also, once upon a time someone told me that if you start with a certain type of oil, you should stick with it and not change oil to what's on sale each time........

anybody care to comment of the merit of that?:popcorn:

bigmac
10-09-2006, 11:24 PM
hmmm...interesting....

Is there a certain rating of the oil that you use?

Also, once upon a time someone told me that if you start with a certain type of oil, you should stick with it and not change oil to what's on sale each time........

anybody care to comment of the merit of that?:popcorn:

It's a concept that may have had some merit over 60 years ago, is totally irrelevant today.

Personally, in all my vehicles I use the oil that the manufacturer recommends. For my MasterCraft, that's API service classification CH-4/SJ or higher (currently that oil is now spec'd at CI-4/SL).

Hoosier Bob
10-09-2006, 11:31 PM
My oil is always so clean you could eat off of it! Not going there but the oil should probably be as recommended and the environment should be kept equally as stable. Oil filter, Air/spark arrester and any debris that may enter the area must be kept contained and clean. A clean bilge with no foriegn matter including residue and foam from the engine cover is a must. Things degrade and many of those things in a boat surround your engine.

bigmac
10-09-2006, 11:41 PM
My oil is always so clean you could eat off of it! Not going there but the oil should probably be as recommended and the environment should be kept equally as stable. Oil filter, Air/spark arrester and any debris that may enter the area must be kept contained and clean. A clean bilge with no foriegn matter including residue and foam from the engine cover is a must. Things degrade and many of those things in a boat surround your engine.

That reminds me, I forgot to add that using synthetic oil that meets or exceeds API CH-4/SJ is OK too, if you don't mind spending the extra money for no good reason....

:uglyhamme

Hoosier Bob
10-09-2006, 11:46 PM
That is why I love you BM!8p
Props I accept! Syn to WIN!8p

beatle78
08-29-2007, 09:59 AM
Here's a question for you guys.

I THINK I have enough Penzoil Marine oil left to do an oil change. I'm going to be switching to the Shell Rotella T 15W-40 since that oil is readily available in my area and many of you seem to like it. The Penzoil oil is a PAIN to find around here.

Question: If I am 1/2 quart short, is is OK to add a 1/2 quart of the Shell Rotella T 15W-40 to the Penzoil oil?

Thanks,
beatle78

bigmac
08-29-2007, 10:16 AM
Question: If I am 1/2 quart short, is is OK to add a 1/2 quart of the Shell Rotella T 15W-40 to the Penzoil oil?

Sure. The concern about that in the old days had to do with potential incompatibilities in the additive packages. These oils now are highly refined and don't rely as much on the additives to meet new-car warranty specs. Anyway, for all we know both Pennzoil and Shell use the same additive package. Even if not, the additives were likely from the same company (Lubrizol Corporation).

beatle78
08-29-2007, 11:20 AM
Sure. The concern about that in the old days had to do with potential incompatibilities in the additive packages. These oils now are highly refined and don't rely as much on the additives to meet new-car warranty specs. Anyway, for all we know both Pennzoil and Shell use the same additive package. Even if not, the additives were likely from the same company (Lubrizol Corporation).

ok, thanks BigMac!!

beatle78
08-31-2007, 11:46 AM
I couldn't go through with it! I carried the oil down to the boat and I just couldn't mix the 2.

I bought 2 gallons of Rotella T and used that instead.

JimN
08-31-2007, 11:54 AM
beatle- if you change the oil every 50 hours, it probably won't matter which filter you use.

"Is there a certain rating of the oil that you use?"

MC publishes this in the owner's manual, IIRC. As long as it meets or exceeds the ratings, you're fine.

Keep the oil clean, don't overheat it and what you use will matter less than how old or dirty it is.

Get out there and ski- don't obsess about the oil and filter.