PDA

View Full Version : Jeep oil change...

M-Funf
10-09-2006, 12:59 PM
The engineer who decided on the location for the oil filter on the Jeep 5.2L V8 should be strung up by their "boys" for that pile of crap. :rant:

Sunday morning, doing a simple oil change. Drained the pan, then go for the filter. It's located on the side of the block above BOTH the starter and exhaust pipe. Oil gets everywhere when I spun it off...down my arm, on the floor...all over the starter and exhaust :noface:

To top it off, it's not mounted vertical or horizontal, but at an angle, which makes it really f'n hard to line the dang thing up to spin the new one back on...

Anybody else have this engine? Any suggestions about how to make this easier? Cleaner?

stevo137
10-09-2006, 01:04 PM
The engineer who decided on the location for the oil filter on the Jeep 5.2L V8 should be strung up by their "boys" for that pile of crap. :rant:

Sunday morning, doing a simple oil change. Drained the pan, then go for the filter. It's located on the side of the block above BOTH the starter and exhaust pipe. Oil gets everywhere when I spun it off...down my arm, on the floor...all over the starter and exhaust :noface:

To top it off, it's not mounted vertical or horizontal, but at an angle, which makes it really f'n hard to line the dang thing up to spin the new one back on...

Anybody else have this engine? Any suggestions about how to make this easier? Cleaner?
Our Jeep has the same engine. I take it to Duke of Oil and for about $25, the oil get's changed in about 15 minutes. ;)

Workin' 4 Toys
10-09-2006, 01:04 PM
What year is it?

stevo137
10-09-2006, 01:09 PM
Seriously though, what year is it?
I give the guys at the Duke a lot of business including repair work. I'm sure that they will be happy to give me some tips regarding the oil change for your Jeep.

M-Funf
10-09-2006, 01:12 PM
'97...

My last Jeep was a '94, but only had the 4.0L Inline 6. It towed my last boat fine, but when I bought the MC (as light as it is compared to some new boats) the 4.0 just couldn't handle the extra weight. But the filter on the inline 6 was on the side of the block mounted horizontal...and I could get to it from the topside instead of crawling under the car...

Workin' 4 Toys
10-09-2006, 01:16 PM
M-Funf,
How much you wanna bet Steve's filter is original and they never change it with the oil.....:rolleyes:

J/K Steve.....;)

M-Funf
10-09-2006, 01:30 PM
M-Funf,
How much you wanna bet Steve's filter is original and they never change it with the oil.....:rolleyes:

J/K Steve.....;)

:uglyhamme:

I actually thought about not changing the filter this time, but remembered that I didn't change it last time for the same reason...

The previous owner had the oil changed at one of the quicky-lube type places. The plug in the pan is actually a quick connect fitting so they can suck the oil out faster...

TMCNo1
10-09-2006, 01:47 PM
Mail order and Online speed parts companies have a remote oil filter kits, allowing you to move the filter to the frame or somewhere more convenient.

M-Funf
10-09-2006, 01:56 PM
Mail order and Online speed parts companies have a remote oil filter kits, allowing you to move the filter to the frame or somewhere more convenient.

Good idea, No1...I'll look around to see what I can find.

It's amazing to me that they still put the filters where they do...on both of my other cars, the filters are in the engine compartment in a canister that opens from the top...most of the oil has already drained out by the time I take out the filter...

jjk94
10-09-2006, 01:57 PM
I found that letting if it sits overnight then the oil drains back and did not drip at all

bigmac
10-09-2006, 01:59 PM

I'm confidant that that engineer used to work in the marine industry.

stevo137
10-09-2006, 02:07 PM
This may sound too simple but the guy at the Duke said that you need the widest pan that you can find and his guys often use cardboard or an air filter box, form it into a "V" and use it as a deflector to drain the oil into the pan. They do have wide collection pans at the the oil change places which makes it easier.

nascar
10-09-2006, 02:37 PM
One thing you might try , take a plastic gallon milk jug and cut it at an angle with a hole big enough for the filter to fall into , place it up under the filter ( best you can ) to catch the filter and most of the oil . Plus I always put an old towel down ( damp if engine or exhaust is very hot ) to catch some of the dripping oil also . This is what I do on my 94 Prostar 190 and also on my Jeep .

M-Funf
10-09-2006, 03:15 PM
I did try to get something under the filter, but there's really not much room...

I was trying to think about ways to prevent the oil from getting all over the starter and exhaust. There's not much room down there, and I have to reach over whatever I put there to unscrew the filter...

Once I thought about all that....I think the remote oil filter may be the way to go...:o

Workin' 4 Toys
10-09-2006, 03:53 PM
I'm confidant that that engineer used to work in the marine industry.
Maybe they have one of these in the Jeep Owners Manual as a preferred option......

Hoff1
10-09-2006, 03:55 PM
The newer 4.7L engine on the Jeeps have the same stupid filter orientation. On an angle of about 45 degrees - spills everywhere when you loosen it. The older 4.0L Jeeps had it at 90 degrees and you could change it from the top while in dress pants (I did this several times). It's amazing how things end up they way they are.

jimmer2880
10-10-2006, 06:43 AM
While I can feel your pain - my wife used to have an x-terra. In order to get to it's filter, I had to remove one of the side curtains in the wheel well and drop the skid pan that ran from the front bumper to where the independent front suspension mounts.. For some reason, it was under the radiator. Go figure.

That was the last time I changed that oil. Sold the X-terra before the next change was due.