PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter Change Steps

JohnnyB
10-08-2006, 09:52 PM
OK, part of my winterizing my 2004PS197 will be changing the fuel filter. Here's what i got from searches and threads.

1) Buy Filter, 12 neoprene washers, gasket (anyone know where I can get the washers and gasket besides at the dealer??)
2) Buy fuel line removal tool (Adv Auto Parts Ford Fuel Line Tool)
3) Disconnect battery
4) Bleed fuel line pressure at schrader valve
5) Remove fuel lines, 12 machine screws, lift out filter, snap off old filter, snap on new one
6) Install new gasket, 12 machine screws - torque to 45 in-lbs
7) reconnect fuel lines
8) reconnect battery

Any extra info from those that have "been there done that" or info on where else parts can be purchased (filter, washers, gasket) would be great.

vogelm1
10-09-2006, 02:29 PM
I've got an '05 MCX and didn't have to disconnect the fuel line...I did disconnect the larger black vent line though. There should be enough play in the line to lift out the pump assembly then. Rest of your list looks good. I think you'll find it's a pretty easy job (though smelly). Good luck -

vogelm1
10-09-2006, 02:31 PM
Oh, and you should notice a little black plastic tube on the old filter when you pull it off. Be sure to transfer that to the new filter before you snap it in place.

JohnnyB
11-05-2006, 11:32 AM
Just did this filter change and came in to check torque spec. Took under a 1/2 hour. Did not need to disconnect any lines. The black "straw" fit back on the filter, but did not meet up with its holder on the pump body. Did not get pics as I did this with 1/2 tank and had gas on my hands.

vogelm1
11-05-2006, 12:33 PM
Sounds like it went well for you - nice goin'. If I remember correctly, that little black straw didn't line up well on my filter change either. It seemed like it wouldn't make that big a difference at the time, so left it. Did you find the bolt torque spec? It should be 45 inch-pounds.

WTRSK1R
09-29-2007, 05:35 PM
I just did the same job. Had a heck of a time getting the filter off, it was really stuck, but other then that was pretty easy. I did not bleed the fuel pressure, and the little black "straw" did not line up with the grove in the housing on mine either. Thanks for the step by step.

Steve