PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor winter storage

kpgotgame
10-08-2006, 08:15 AM
This is my current situation

Recently moved. Love the new house - not on the water (maybe someday), but close with deeded beach rights.

Problem - old house had 3.5 car garage double deep with loads of space for the boat. New house - bigger house, much smaller garage - 1 car = no room for the boat.

Renovations etc have, and continue to, eat up disposable cash therefore this winter the boat will have to reside outside behind the house. I have read FAQ's in regards to winterization, which I will follow however what should I do in regards to covering the boat to ensure it is well protected over the winter. Is that blue shrinkwrap enough?

PS - I am trying to call in favours, offer free rides next yr etc in an effort to store it indoors somewhere, so hopfully this thread will be in vain.

Thanks

JohnE
10-08-2006, 10:27 AM
The one year I kept my prostar outdoors, I had it shrink wrapped by my mecanic. When uncovered in spring it was as good, clean, and dry as the day it was covered.

bigmac
10-08-2006, 11:30 AM
This is my current situation

Recently moved. Love the new house - not on the water (maybe someday), but close with deeded beach rights.

Problem - old house had 3.5 car garage double deep with loads of space for the boat. New house - bigger house, much smaller garage - 1 car = no room for the boat.

Renovations etc have, and continue to, eat up disposable cash therefore this winter the boat will have to reside outside behind the house. I have read FAQ's in regards to winterization, which I will follow however what should I do in regards to covering the boat to ensure it is well protected over the winter. Is that blue shrinkwrap enough?

PS - I am trying to call in favours, offer free rides next yr etc in an effort to store it indoors somewhere, so hopfully this thread will be in vain.

Thanks

Shrink wrapping may be cheaper than paying for storage on a single-year basis, however, it does add up on an annual basis. You may want to consider something like this for $600.

http://www.overtons.com/graphics/products/medium/32348M.jpg

Look here (http://www.overtons.com/modperl/overtons/order/items2.cgi) for other temporary storage shelters.

If you do shrink wrap, pay close attention to ventilation so you don't get the unpleasant surprise of a boat full of mold when you unwrap in the spring.

kpgotgame
10-08-2006, 11:58 AM
I just got off the phone with the Marina.

They have a stacking program for the season combined with a winter storage program.

This is their Seasonal Stacking program

I call 20 min before I want to go out. They have the boat in the water waiting for me. I come back jump out and go home. They pull it out and rack store it for me. They also give me a slip for 2 weekends of my choice.
Total cost per yr - $1,500 for inside winter storage & stacking program
Total cost per yr - $925 for outside winter storage & stacking program

I would still need to winterize my boat
Their quote for that service
Winterize - antifreeze, fogging , and fuel stab. - $122
Shrinkrap - $244
I would winterize myself, just thought that I would throw it up here for others to compare.
These quotes are based on a 22ft boat with an 8ft beam and are in CNDN $$$ - which is not much different these days.
Which by the way is not helping business for me!!

88 PS190
10-08-2006, 12:28 PM
I'd do everything yourself, get them to shrink wrap it, then park it by your house.

925 to have it sit there is not worth it in my opinion. 0$ for sitting net to the house seems to be a much better deal, besides stacking? will they lift it off your trailer and leave it on a craddle? or in a stand of boats? plus what if you decide to use it on a really nice spring morning and then you need to call the dealer to get the boat unstacked/accessable.