PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass platform smaller than the teak one?

Archimedes
10-08-2006, 02:25 AM
Just received my fiberglass platform and noticed that it is 5 inches narrower (front to back) than my teak one. Is that typical? I've seen fiberglass platforms on other boats and they looked standard size but this one looks tiny by comparison to my teak one. Is the fiberglass smaller because of flex issues with a larger piece of glass?

bigmac
10-08-2006, 03:16 AM
Just received my fiberglass platform and noticed that it is 5 inches narrower (front to back) than my teak one. Is that typical? I've seen fiberglass platforms on other boats and they looked standard size but this one looks tiny by comparison to my teak one. Is the fiberglass smaller because of flex issues with a larger piece of glass?

I think my fiberglass platform is about that much smaller than the teak platform on my buddy's X-10 of the same year.

As to flex...I don't think mine flexes near as much as his. I don't see flex as an issue, and I don't think the smaller size is due to flexing - I note that the fiberglass platforms on the 2006 MasterCrafts are huge - they appear to be even bigger than the teak platforms.

erkoehler
10-08-2006, 03:37 AM
Yes, fiberglass is smaller than teak :)

TMCNo1
10-08-2006, 10:22 AM
Yes, fiberglass is smaller than teak :)
Less gelcoat to repair if it gets scratched!

Archimedes
10-08-2006, 03:58 PM
I think my fiberglass platform is about that much smaller than the teak platform on my buddy's X-10 of the same year.

As to flex...I don't think mine flexes near as much as his. I don't see flex as an issue, and I don't think the smaller size is due to flexing - I note that the fiberglass platforms on the 2006 MasterCrafts are huge - they appear to be even bigger than the teak platforms.

Yeah, not on my 06. It's much smaller. Looks odd. Wifey's gonna hate it. Oh well.

Couldn't mount it up today because (of course) the brackets don't fit together right and I need to ground them down a bit. I'm learning that nothing's easy on this thing... Got the stereo work done though and it sounds great.
:)

erkoehler
10-08-2006, 04:07 PM
WAIT! What brackets don't line up? There shouldn't need to be any grinding on the platform or brackets to make it work!:confused:

Archimedes
10-08-2006, 05:03 PM
WAIT! What brackets don't line up? There shouldn't need to be any grinding on the platform or brackets to make it work!:confused:

Yeah, you'd think, right? But with my boat, everything's been a challenge. Here's what I've got with my platform. The teak platform that came with my boat needs to be hammered on and off the boat. I originally thought it was alignment of the brackets, but it's not. It's the right 'male' bracket on the platform is slightly too big for the 'female' bracket bolted to the transom. It's also too big for the female bracket that came with my new set, so I know that's the problem. I've got to grind the edges down on that one if I want to be able to get it on and off.

Now the other problem I have is that when they bolted the left side 'female' bracket to the boat, they didn't seat the top left screw flush, so it rises slightly above the countersink in the bracket and rubs the 'male' bracket. It's not a problem on my team one because the bracket appears to have been ground down. But I've got to grind down the new one for my fiberglass platform. I've started that, but my drill died when I was just about through.