PDA

View Full Version : shower???

boyd
10-07-2006, 10:21 PM
This may be a silly question, but I don't know the answer.
What do you use the shower for ? Where is it stored?
Why would anyone shower off with dirty water they just got out of?
Do you use it to wash the boats interior ?? Just curious what you use it for. I've never seen one.
boyd

SDAhockey21
10-07-2006, 10:28 PM
We have a shower in our 1991 Maristar 210. We never use it is kind of point less. It is stored under a rear seat. It can pump out hot or cold water but it is from the lake their is no holding tank so... serves little purpose unless you want to shower in some hot lake water...

bigmac
10-07-2006, 10:46 PM
Shower proponents here on Team Talk report that they love to stand on the swim platform and shower down with hot water to warm up on cold days. It's also reported to be quite nice to stick it inside your wet suit somewhere and have at it. OTOH, it's just one more thing to winterize, and I've seen at least a few threads about non-functional showers due to plugging from scale or rust.

There appear to be two camps, those that love their showers and those that are indifferent to the concept. Personally, if it's cold enough to want a warm shower while on the boat, I'm wearing my dry suit and hosing myself down with water is the last thing I want to do.

SDAhockey21
10-07-2006, 11:45 PM
To tell you the truth i have never used mine while out sking etc. the only time i used it was when i was curious to see how it worked and i tried it out at the dock. that was the only time

~Sam

SDAhockey21
10-07-2006, 11:47 PM
I could live without it is what im saying

Hoosier Bob
10-07-2006, 11:56 PM
In Alabama I would guess you could! I think you need to ski with UMP for awhile to fully appreciate the HOT shower! We are expecting snow here as well within a week! I ain't done skiing! A hot shower would be nice even if it was with dog crap!8p I could live without it is what im saying

Carbon Dreams
10-08-2006, 12:41 AM
Here in Central Oregon there are 2 times a year we use it. Spring and Fall. Fill up the shorty with hot H2O before jumpin' in and warm up after the ride.

All riders used it today and said "man that's nice!" I generally do not even turn on the shower during the summer. That being said, I would never be without the shower. It would shorten my riding season as I HATE dry suits.

Pro Shower Here...

JohnnyB
10-08-2006, 10:02 AM
To tell you the truth i have never used mine while out sking etc. the only time i used it was when i was curious to see how it worked and i tried it out at the dock. that was the only time

~Sam

Pull it out and sell it. I'm sure, like me, others would be interested in buying it.

The shower is great for those cold dry suit days we're out barefooting (like air temp 42, water temp 38). I'll be adding one next season....no time now....just time enough to ski.

dapicatti
10-08-2006, 11:47 AM
Here in Central Oregon there are 2 times a year we use it. Spring and Fall. Fill up the shorty with hot H2O before jumpin' in and warm up after the ride.

All riders used it today and said "man that's nice!" I generally do not even turn on the shower during the summer. That being said, I would never be without the shower. It would shorten my riding season as I HATE dry suits.

Pro Shower Here...

Me too. It's great when the river is running less than 60 degrees and you still want to get out and have some fun. Nothing like bringing the feeling back in your feet with a shower. Plus, the little kids love it. It helps to keep them having fun longer in the season. We use ours alot.

kpgotgame
10-08-2006, 12:18 PM
Funny - I was just reading Brianm's shower install and thinking it would be a great project this winter, when I noticed this thread. Lots of different opinions. I will pretty much go anytime however the hot shower may entice a few others to join me and share the gas money. Hey anything that extends the season is good with me.

baedriver
10-08-2006, 12:24 PM
The shower is great for warming up your wetsuit or if you switch life jackets and it is wet. Fr what i paid for the shower every bat i have will have one. i highly recommend it

SDAhockey21
10-08-2006, 05:09 PM
In Alabama I would guess you could! I think you need to ski with UMP for awhile to fully appreciate the HOT shower! We are expecting snow here as well within a week! I ain't done skiing! A hot shower would be nice even if it was with dog crap!8p

Haha Ya i guese your right I ski mostly in South carolina at my lake house on lake keowee, if you know where that is. And the Lake is man made an powers a nucler power plant so the water is still like bath water up there right know. I went sking just the other day up in alabama and the water was great!!

SDAhockey21
10-08-2006, 05:13 PM
Pull it out and sell it. I'm sure, like me, others would be interested in buying it.

The shower is great for those cold dry suit days we're out barefooting (like air temp 42, water temp 38). I'll be adding one next season....no time now....just time enough to ski.

No i think i will hold on to it i guese it's a good selling point, Ya right like i would EVER sell my MasterCraft...lol. Anyway now that i see how you guys use yours i will porbly use mine more often.

Bruce
10-08-2006, 06:16 PM
boyd
thanks for asking the question I wondered also. The replys were pretty much what I thought. I am glassing in the area (i.e trunk) in the engine compartment of my 230VRS in order to put a hot tub. I would like a wine rack on the other size but I am afraid the engine heat might not let me keep it at the right temp. Oh, well no one ever said life was easy.

RobertT
10-09-2006, 02:14 PM
The way I look at it, in Missouri the season is about six months. You can increase that to two months in the fall and two months in the spring with gear. Even if that gear costs a few grand, you are almost doubling the time you can enjoy the water and your boat. A shower is the cheapest investment I can make to extend the season.

I use mine all the time. Mostly the kids use it, but trust me filling up your wetsuit with hot water before you jump in is critical! Warming up feet or hands, or just making the kids lips turn red in lieu of purple is worth the few hundred bucks any day.

I go back and forth about the shower and heater, during the summer I keep thinking its stupid, then about now I think it should be standard.

Still, point is that its more about extending the season more so than anything else.

VTJC
10-09-2006, 03:30 PM
I will be using mine this afternoon to fill up my wetsuit with warm water before my set and to warm up after. The air is warm today (70) but water is in the 50’s. My ski partner and I disagree whether we prefer heat or shower in the boat. I am sure all my future boats will have both!

bigmac
10-09-2006, 03:43 PM
The problem I have with boat showers, from my point of view, is that at some point you're going to have to turn that shower off. Then you'll be wet AND cold. If the water is in the 50's - no way would I have any interest in getting wet...not in the lake and certainly not in the boat, and that most definitely includes getting wet in a wet suit (those first 60 seconds in a wet suit in 50 degree water are a bugger). I want to go out in my boat, slip on my nice, toasty dry suit, jump in the water with impunity, hydrofoil, get out of the boat when I'm done, slip off my dry suit and still be toasty warm in my polar fleece. If I'm a little chilled, I'll pull out a hot tube and slip it under my jacket.

Just an opinion. YMMV.

RobertT
10-09-2006, 04:53 PM
bigmac,

You couldn't be more right about the drysuit thing, but most do not have one. I happen to have one because I whitewater kayak a lot, but most do not and certainly the kids dont. Water is in the low 60s here, and my kids are still going strong.

The first 60 seconds with a wetsuit sucks because when you jump in the water has to infiltrate the suit and replace the little bit of air that is between your wetsuit and your skin. Your body has to heat that tiny bit of water up to close to body temp, then maintaining it is less of an issue. By filling the suit with hot water right up front, there is little to no exchange of water when first getting in and therefore little to no shock.

I learned that trick scubadiving. I hated a drysuit. No way I can make it two hours in cold water without taking a leak! I refuse to wear depends, so I still dive with a wetsuit. I finally brought a nalgene bottle with me, and before the dive (a cave dive in 58 degree water) I poured hot water inside my wetsuit. Made a huge difference!

Anyway, to each their own, but even if it was strictly for the kids it would be worth it to me. My 4 year old loves spraying the surfers in the head too, which is aggravating but keeps her entertained.

WakeSeeky
10-09-2006, 05:31 PM
If the water is in the 50's - no way would I have any interest in getting wet...not in the lake and certainly not in the boat, and that most definitely includes getting wet in a wet suit (those first 60 seconds in a wet suit in 50 degree water are a bugger).

I completely agree with you, assuming the water is below 60 (or for me, about 65 :o ). I HATE getting cold, so when the water drops below about 75, I'm in a wetsuit and the shower is a nice addition between then and when it's cold enough to use the drysuit. Yes, I'm a wimp. I hear it all the time and I'm ok with that. :D Bottom line, when I get cold I want to go in and that ruins my day and everyone else's, so why not just stay warm.

If I had to choose, I'd pick the heater over the shower, but fortunately I don't have to choose. ;)

WTRSK1R
10-09-2006, 11:23 PM
I skied yesterday and the water was 57 degrees. The air was 70, so it was ok. I did not have on a wetsuit or a drysuit, just a long sleeve rash guard shirt and my vest. :eek: Water was brisk when I jumped in, but very tolerable with the sun. I was skiing behind my friends boat without a shower, and would have like to have had my boat when I was done. However, even without the shower, it was worth it. I actually had my wetsuit with me, but would prefer to ski without it whenever I can.

bigmac
10-09-2006, 11:38 PM
bigmac,

You couldn't be more right about the drysuit thing, but most do not have one. I happen to have one because I whitewater kayak a lot, but most do not and certainly the kids dont. Water is in the low 60s here, and my kids are still going strong.

The first 60 seconds with a wetsuit sucks because when you jump in the water has to infiltrate the suit and replace the little bit of air that is between your wetsuit and your skin. Your body has to heat that tiny bit of water up to close to body temp, then maintaining it is less of an issue. By filling the suit with hot water right up front, there is little to no exchange of water when first getting in and therefore little to no shock.

I learned that trick scubadiving. I hated a drysuit. No way I can make it two hours in cold water without taking a leak! I refuse to wear depends, so I still dive with a wetsuit. I finally brought a nalgene bottle with me, and before the dive (a cave dive in 58 degree water) I poured hot water inside my wetsuit. Made a huge difference!

Anyway, to each their own, but even if it was strictly for the kids it would be worth it to me. My 4 year old loves spraying the surfers in the head too, which is aggravating but keeps her entertained.

40 years of scuba diving, including more than 10 years as part of this county's Dive Rescue team has left me with a DEEP appreciation for dry suits. Anyway, the shower thing is moot in our little ski group since everyone has a dry suit.

I'm not anti-shower on ski boats, it's just not something that I personally can envision as being anywhere near worth the expenditure and maintenance hassles for my use.

BrianM
10-10-2006, 09:59 AM
I skied yesterday and the water was 57 degrees. The air was 70, so it was ok. I did not have on a wetsuit or a drysuit, just a long sleeve rash guard shirt and my vest. :eek: Water was brisk when I jumped in, but very tolerable with the sun. I was skiing behind my friends boat without a shower, and would have like to have had my boat when I was done. However, even without the shower, it was worth it. I actually had my wetsuit with me, but would prefer to ski without it whenever I can.
57 degree water with a rash guard? BURRRRR! I would have been in my drysuit for sure. I skied last night in just my swim trunks. The water was 79 degrees and I was thinking about my shorty. Usually anything under 75 degree water and I am wearing the shorty. If the water gets much less than 70 I am in the drysuit. I am a cold wuss and proud of it.

Anyway, the shower thing is moot in our little ski group since everyone has a dry suit.

I'm not anti-shower on ski boats, it's just not something that I personally can envision as being anywhere near worth the expenditure and maintenance hassles for my use.

I put the shower in my boat for the winter skiing. We all ski in drysuits but the hands and feet still get cold. I figure when getting out I can warm up the feet and hands with the hot water and then dry them off before getting in the boat. Just speeds up the warming process. Also nice to put a little warm water in the bindings before the second set.