PDA

View Full Version : PerfectPass won't hold speed in Turns

jeffrpod
10-07-2006, 07:37 PM
Sorry if this has been asked before (especially by me) but I can not get my PerfectPass to hold speed in turns, and need some advise.

Boat Setup:
I've got an 06 X2 with PerfectPass Wakeboard pro. PP is set to Wakeboard (RPM) mode. I have 4 people in the boat (Icluding driver) sitting in each of the four corners of the main seating area, and no rider. Stock ballast filled, about 3/4 full of gas, and no extra weight. I've played with the KN and NN settings until I'm blue in the face and this is the best results I can get. Boat speed set to 22, it will hold speed fine in a straight line, but as soon as I try and drive a double up the speed drops to 21 mph. Once I straighten out to cross the rollers it speeds up about 1 and a halp MPH faster than original speed to at least 23 and a half. I think the best settings were KN 140 and NN 100. I've been drving Double Ups for a few years, especially in VLX BUs, and I'm not turning too tight, etc.

Does anyone have any advise or can some folks with the same setup post their settings?

Thanks so much,
Signed - missing my double ups!

h2oskiluvr
10-07-2006, 07:58 PM
For wakeboarding isn't it better to be in Speed vs. RPM mode? Wouldn't that solve your problem?

bigmac
10-07-2006, 08:01 PM
For wakeboarding isn't it better to be in Speed vs. RPM mode? Wouldn't that solve your problem?
With my boat in Wakeboard mode, Perfect Pass speeds up in a left turn. It speeds up a little less in a right turn. This has to do with the placement of the paddlewheel - it's farther forward than in the DD's. On my Perfect Pass, NN only affects operation in Wakeboard mode. KdW affect sampling of the Paddlewheel. I don't know what Kn is, or if it only affects sampling rate, or has something to do the jeffrpod's RPM problem.

T Scott
10-07-2006, 08:22 PM

I agree, try in Speed mode.

jeffrpod
10-08-2006, 10:02 AM
Thanks for info and for clarification, Wakeboard Mode is Speed based. And I meant to say KDW instead of KN.

I was thinking that the placement of the paddlewheel and the direction of the turn might play a part in it. I always turn to the right (at least for double ups). There has got to be a way to get this right, I can't image that the Pros could deal with a 2 and a half MPH change during the double ups...

bigmac
10-08-2006, 12:53 PM
Thanks for info and for clarification, Wakeboard Mode is Speed based. And I meant to say KDW instead of KN.

I was thinking that the placement of the paddlewheel and the direction of the turn might play a part in it. I always turn to the right (at least for double ups). There has got to be a way to get this right, I can't image that the Pros could deal with a 2 and a half MPH change during the double ups...

I'm not sure what a double-up is, but my experience with Perfect Pass is in hydrofoiling. That endeavor tends to be speed-sensitive. In wakeboard (speed) mode, a tight turn either way can result in a wild ride, especially for a newbie, and the problem is worse turning to the left compared to the right. I always have to instruct my drivers to make a wide turnaround, and to the right.

I have found far less speed variation with RPM-based modes. Speed mode with the right NN and KdW settings is pretty good while going straight, unless your V-drive starts hitting some rollers. Because of the forward paddlewheel placement, those rollers can result in some speed oscillation that does tend to be annoying, especially if you're on the tower. IIUC, NN and KdW relate to the paddlewheel filtering and sampling and won't have much, if any effect, in RPM modes. ICBW.

I have heard of V-drive owners putting in a whole new paddlewheel in a more rearward location to alleviate the problem you mention as well as the speed variation in waves. I know of one guy who switched to a transom-mounted paddlewheel (http://www.lspeedo.com/htm/faria-pages/faria-new-13.htm).

88 PS190
10-08-2006, 01:34 PM
A double up is a driving maneuver for wakeboarding where you are essentially turning the boat around in the correct manner to cross your previous wakes at an angle so the wakes collide -/ as so the result is that "nodes" form, where the peak of your old wake hits your new wake the size of the crest doubles and the rider times his cut to hit this bump.

Pros get a double up when the boat turns around in competition and it is the point that the biggest tricks get thrown due to the massive air they get.

I don't see a real way around speed oscillation in the turn with out modifying the location of the paddlewheel.

But I would say that in the double up the speed variation should only be effecting the rider once the turn is complete and you're heading back into the wakes.

I would try one of the wakeboarder forums for some better tips on setting up for wakeboarding. There are tons of people who do only that, and own wakeboard boats around on those forums.

(not that there are not a bunch of wakeboarders here, but you know what i mean)

jeffrpod
10-09-2006, 08:07 PM
Can anyone with a 2006 X2 reply if their boat will hold speed through the turns - just so that I know it's possible???

jeffrpod
10-10-2006, 07:33 PM
So after speaking with PerfectPass, due to the location of the paddlewheel (port side of the centerline) the boat won't hold speed in right handed turns. It does as I described above, slow in the turn and then speed up when when you straighten out. I tried a few left turns tonight and it held speed perfect - too bad I ride regular.

You can't tell me I'm the only one with this issue - anyone else with an 06 X2 dealing with this and come up with a way to make right handed double-ups and not pull your arms from thier sockets???

thornappleWB
10-10-2006, 08:37 PM
I had an 03 X-2 and now I have an 05 X-Star. You have 2 choices, at the end of your turn reduce the speed control so it wont overspeed or you can drive the doubleUp by hand and turn the perfect pass back on after the DoubleUp. (I use speed mode)