PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Platform

SDAhockey21
10-07-2006, 03:52 PM
When we got our used MasterCraft 1996 Prostar 190 from a dealer they gave us an extra teak platform they had lieing around because we weren't so shure about the fiberglass that's on the boat. The teak they gave us is very weathered and i don't think its ever been mounted before because it dosen't have any holes from monting brackets, it just has screws holding the teak together. We have the fiberglass on it now and im not shure if i like it and i want to be able to switch between the two. Anyone have any good pictures of how the brakets are secured to the platform? And tips etc. Thanks:)

~Sam

Archimedes
10-07-2006, 04:00 PM
Well, since I'll be doing this tommorrow with my fiberglass one, I'll tell you what I've been told. You need to mount your brackets on the boat first, then set the platform on the brackets, then line the platform up on the brackets where you want it (make sure it's aligned right and you have the gap between the transom you want), then drill small tapping holes and insert the screws. Go side to side making sure the platform is staying aligned.

You will need to buy the brackets first. They're about $125 a set from MC for new ones.

SDAhockey21
10-07-2006, 04:03 PM
Can i just use the brackets off my fiberglass? I think im goign to stay with the teak. Fiberglass is nice but i just love the look of teak. And i hate spending $125 just to be able to swithc them out every once in a while.

MarkP
10-07-2006, 04:10 PM
Can i just use the brackets off my fiberglass? I think im goign to stay with the teak. Fiberglass is nice but i just love the look of teak. And i hate spending $125 just to be able to swithc them out every once in a while.
I donít know if the fiberglass uses a different bracket. I would think they are the same and you could use your ďoldĒ ones. If you could provide a photo of your brackets it would help..

Archimedes
10-07-2006, 04:10 PM

That should work fine. The brackets should be identical regardless of platform. The only problem would be you might have trouble screwing them back on the fiberglass platform if you ever wanted to go back. I'm not sure how well the screw holes in the fiberglass will handle multiple reattachment.

Are you sure you got the right teak platform for your boat? I'd make sure of that before I did anything.

MarkP
10-07-2006, 04:15 PM
Well, since I'll be doing this tommorrow with my fiberglass one, I'll tell you what I've been told. You need to mount your brackets on the boat first, then set the platform on the brackets, then line the platform up on the brackets where you want it (make sure it's aligned right and you have the gap between the transom you want), then drill small tapping holes and insert the screws. Go side to side making sure the platform is staying aligned.

You will need to buy the brackets first. They're about $125 a set from MC for new ones.
Also, once you get the platform set as far away from your transom as you want it slide a shim between the transom and platform (just above the bracket) of the appropriate thickness to help keep it in place while you complete the project..

SDAhockey21
10-07-2006, 04:24 PM
Ya the dealer gave us the platform and it is about identical in shape and follows the curve of the boat. I also noticed while sking that the fiberglass platform is saging pretty bad. when i placed it upside down on my garage floor their was about an inch of clearance in the middle that was not touching the floor. Is that normal??

You guys shure do post back quick. lol

~Sam

MarkP
10-07-2006, 04:36 PM
Ya the dealer gave us the platform and it is about identical in shape and follows the curve of the boat. I also noticed while sking that the fiberglass platform is saging pretty bad. when i placed it upside down on my garage floor their was about an inch of clearance in the middle that was not touching the floor. Is that normal??

You guys shure do post back quick. lol

~Sam
I donít know a lot about the fiberglass platforms but do hear they sag a little when you stand on them. Iím not sure how typical it is for them to hold that shape but can tell you your teak platform wont have that issue..

MarkP
10-07-2006, 04:38 PM
Oh,
And are we going to get some photos of all these boats of yours??

SDAhockey21
10-07-2006, 04:39 PM
Ya my 91 Maristar 210 has teak and I love it but that on is harder to maintain because tis on a lift. But the 96 Protar190 in in a garage so the teak with be no problem.

SDAhockey21
10-07-2006, 04:41 PM
Ya and how do you put photo's in your profile liek i Noticed you have 12 Photos i just can figure out how to get my photos in. i figure out the avatar pic. but how do i make the photo album thing so i can have more than just one.

MarkP
10-07-2006, 04:46 PM
Go to showroom (top right of this page) Then click Upload photos..

SDAhockey21
10-07-2006, 05:06 PM
Thanks my pictures are to big go figure must resize...

MarkP
10-07-2006, 05:11 PM
I have found it fastest to let Outlook Express size them for me. Do you know how to do that?

SDAhockey21
10-07-2006, 05:28 PM
No i have never heard of doing it that way i usualy don't need to resize i can't remmber what program i used last time i had to

TMCNo1
10-07-2006, 05:28 PM
SDA, see, if it was teak and it had a bunch of Teak Oil on it, it wouldn't sag. We just can't get it across to the glass guys, what a advantage a teak platform is! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bigmac
10-07-2006, 05:30 PM
No i have never heard of doing it that way i usualy don't need to resize i can't remmber what program i used last time i had to

You can use Irfanview (http://www.download-zone-free.com/irfanview/) - it's a free download and will do the job just fine.

SDAhockey21
10-07-2006, 05:40 PM
Ya im definatly diging the classic look of the teak. The fiberglass just dosen't do anyhting for me. Plus I love working on my boat so i don't mind the upkeep of the teak. And it really bugs me that the fiberglass sags.

TMCNo1
10-07-2006, 05:50 PM
And it really bugs me that the fiberglass sags.

You saying, kinda like a wore out pair of underdrawers!

MarkP
10-07-2006, 05:58 PM
Nice shots..Ya im definatly diging the classic look of the teak. The fiberglass just dosen't do anyhting for me. Plus I love working on my boat so i don't mind the upkeep of the teak. And it really bugs me that the fiberglass sags.
You do know you can put a shot of them platforms right in this thread??

SDAhockey21
10-07-2006, 06:19 PM
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n118/SDAhockey21/DSCF2269.jpg

There is the fiberglass. Its pretty nice don't get me wrong it like it. I just liek the look of teak a little better. You can tell that it is saging by the pin striping and thats with no weight on it!

SDAhockey21
10-07-2006, 06:21 PM
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n118/SDAhockey21/DSCF2268.jpg

Here is another good picture

SDAhockey21
10-07-2006, 06:23 PM
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n118/SDAhockey21/DSCF2284.jpg

And I almost forgot. Here is the teak the Dealer gave us.

east tx skier
10-07-2006, 08:10 PM

Yep. That's about the extent of it. Measure to the edges to keep 'em even and leave yourself a little gap between the platform and the boat.

SDAhockey21
10-07-2006, 10:24 PM
Thanks guys I think i will start sanding, oiling etc. tommarrow